• Total voters

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
But honestly what does the future of the platform look like with regard to other cars like the new Nissan 400Z as long as this one has a locked ECU?
I know the new Z will out sell the Supra, that's for sure. It will be interesting to see, but I love my Supra so much that I personally won't care what comes of the 400z. I am hopeful that the new Z is a banger and pushes Toyota to get their heads back in the game and make even more improvements onto the MKV platform.
Sponsored

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Add all that together and you have a growing feeling amongst potential future owners of "maybe I'd better just wait and see."
Took the words out of this potential "future" owner's mouth.......going to sit pat and see how this thing plays out while in the meantime, add a little more to the "down payment" kitty. At this rate, by the time issues have a resolution, I may be able to pay CASH!!!!!;)

Although, "sereph102889" brings to light a point that hit me when I read how he did the break in and is not experiencing any issues........when I did my test drive, dealer had me do so on their "track" located behind the dealership. They didn't want me to take it on the road to keep miles down but thinking about it now...........maybe Toyota/BMW MEAN for the break in to be a little hard knowing the rings won't seal properly unless you do. If they let folks do a "ginger" test drive and end up putting say, 100 miles or so on the car, this would in effect, cause a "premature" break in with soft miles instead of letting it rip from time to time.......???? They couldn't tell test drivers to "rip it" to facilitate break-in for "safety" reasons......

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?????????

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I understand you're happy with your 2020, but for those of us with 2021s, I promise you we didn't buy them to try to spite 2020 owners, or at least I didn't. I wish the 2021s didn't have consumption issues to even worry about, but they do, and your comment makes me feel like you don't really sympathize with those of us who unknowingly bought a 2021 that could have consumption issues. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would have gotten a 2020 if I knew what I know now, but I'm here with a car that was a dream purchase of mine, hoping that this thing doesn't end up having the oil consumption issue because all I really want to do right now is get it tuned, but I can't in good conscious do this at the moment because of the potential that the engine may need to be warrantied.
I am sure the thicker oil on the 2021 will fix the oil consumption issue. So no need to worry about it or for a new motor.

I was just joking around. Trying to lighten the mood. You donā€™t know how much crap we 2020 owners got from 2021 prospective buyers back in Feb of 2020..... :(

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I'd love to hear if there is anyone out there that has a 2021 that is both:

1. Burning excessive oil
2. Switched to a thicker oil during break-in period or shortly after (before 1500 miles or so)

I've been reading through these threads and so far I don't think I've seen anyone who switched to thicker oil that also has the oil burn issue, but given the number of pages I could have missed it.
Iā€™ve yet to hear of one. The thicker oil is better for high performance engines and recommended for the B58.

Good reading on oils and the B58 with this link:

https://www.bimmerworld.com/BMW-Engine-Oil/

Also the B58TU1 was released back in 2018. Do you think BMW doesnā€™t know about the oil burning problem? You better believe they do!

The difference is that Toyota has put more of a spotlight on the problem with releasing it in the MY2021. We Supra owners donā€™t expect Toyotas to burn oil so we are putting the issue on blast. As where BMW owners are probably ā€œoh it needs oil now OK no biggie.ā€

-RJM

Last edited:

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
I'm currently at 3,300miles, and my car goes in for an oil change at the dealership Tuesday May 18th. My cousin is the shop foreman at Toyota, and he's going to measure the amount of the drained oil. My oil indicator has been showing the last green bar for for a few weeks now, but I suspect the warning light will come on any day now. I'm getting it filled with the 0w20, and going to keep an eye on it for the next 1,500 miles. I don't want to put 5w30 in it, because it might void the warranty. I want to believe that thicker oil will help the consumption, but I'm sceptical. I wonder if any other forum members tried thicker stuff after 4, or 5000 miles and had good results.

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I understand you're happy with your 2020, but for those of us with 2021s, I promise you we didn't buy them to try to spite 2020 owners, or at least I didn't. I wish the 2021s didn't have consumption issues to even worry about, but they do, and your comment makes me feel like you don't really sympathize with those of us who unknowingly bought a 2021 that could have consumption issues. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would have gotten a 2020 if I knew what I know now, but I'm here with a car that was a dream purchase of mine, hoping that this thing doesn't end up having the oil consumption issue because all I really want to do right now is get it tuned, but I can't in good conscious do this at the moment because of the potential that the engine may need to be warrantied.
My thoughts exactly! This was a dream purchase as well. I've been holding off on any mods, until this situation is sorted.

A90dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Do you think you got the newly revised b58 motor with the oil consumption issue? Good news is that you make more hp now!!!

Maybe they should swap in the 2020 Pistons and Rings? Lol ?
I donā€™t think so but I think itā€™s how the engine was built after 2019/2020. It must be something that is designed differently that bmw / toyota is not telling us.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I donā€™t think so but I think itā€™s how the engine was built after 2019/2020. It must be something that is designed differently that bmw / toyota is not telling us.
They honestly should of just kept the same exact motor and just improved other aspects of the car like wind buffering, little cosmetic stuff, and etc. Toyota basically just introduced new big headaches for 2021....

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
New friction reducing rings for more power, and better fuel economy. As soon as my warranty is up, I'm going with oil as thick as molasses and if that doesn't work with the consumption issue, I'll be putting the car up for sale and getting a Lexus LC500.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
New friction reducing rings for more power, and better fuel economy. As soon as my warranty is up, I'm going with oil as thick as molasses and if that doesn't work with the consumption issue, I'll be putting the car up for sale and getting a Lexus LC500.
Well 0w-30 won't void your warranty, it's listed as an alternative in the owners manual I believe. I'm personally going to be swapping to either a 0w-30 or 5w-30 oil when I do my first change at 3,000. I'm currently riding the mileage out to 3k, and beating the piss out of the car the entire way, and I'm hoping to not see any more oil consumed than I do in this picture.

Picture taken two days ago at 2,265 miles, original oil, no change done yet.

Attachments

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
Well 0w-30 won't void your warranty, it's listed as an alternative in the owners manual I believe. I'm personally going to be swapping to either a 0w-30 or 5w-30 oil when I do my first change at 3,000. I'm currently riding the mileage out to 3k, and beating the piss out of the car the entire way, and I'm hoping to not see any more oil consumed than I do in this picture.

Picture taken two days ago at 2,265 miles, original oil, no change done yet.
Manual allows for up to one US quart of alternate, not complete refill. If I read correctly.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/car-excessively-burning-oil.8084/post-123773

Jeonsa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
Iā€™m sure itā€™s an easy fix. The only thing Toyota isnā€™t telling us is how hard it is to work with BMW on the fixes. Iā€™ve been seeing a bunch of rumors on Facebook or other places with how Toyota had to buy engines to test or that BMW wasnā€™t 100% on board until their cars started having similar issues etc etc. I just remember when Toyota started having issues with the 86 and the ā€œfixā€ came relatively quick

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Sell it now if your burning an excessive amount. Used car dealers are offering top dollar right now.

-RJM

SUPRA90

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR SUPRA A91
Decided to get my first free oil change today. They tried to get me to wait till 10K miles. I told them the oil level was down some and didnā€™t want to run it low.

Donā€™t know if a low oil warning wouldā€™ve shown up or not but I definitely didnā€™t want that listed on a carfax since I may eventually sell the car due to the locked ecu.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
I have a 2020 3.0 Supra, and noticed some oil consumption:
  • First oil change at dealer done at 1000km. No oil top warnings, but I did not run the onboard oil measurement so I donā€™t know if there was any minor consumption
  • After ~1600mi on fresh OEM 0W-20 oil, I am down half a liter according to the onboard measurement.
    FCDD3C25-E3B5-4FDD-BDC3-B53A8FE3DE08.jpeg
I donā€™t know how much oil they filled at the first service, so I canā€™t say for sure if this demonstrates excessive consumption. I am also conscious I have run only 3600km out of the advised 10000km full engine break in mark. Also, the OEM oil is pretty thin, itā€™s a turbo engine, so some oil consumption is not surprising.

I followed the 2000km break in guidance but occasionally ran it up on RPMs within limits. Have used sport (and sport+) mode much more since. I always wait for the oil to warm up to temp before spirited driving, and the car is primarily on city driving.

im not too worried, the tail pipes look very clean, unlike my previous oil eating NA BMW (that one had well documented engine design flaws). But I will check with the dealer when I take it for the annual service in two months.
Sponsored

Last edited: