Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
You might know it, but in a public forum with enough noise, this can be mis-read and then misinformation is spread. Cheers.
One thing I do wish car manufacturers would do is have all information for pressure and temps that technicians would use be available on the infotainment center. Cat does this with their VIMS and it works amazing. The hidden gauges are a joke at best for this car.
Sponsored

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
Well guess what guysā€¦ my engine oil level dropped down to the middle. Used to read full.

Now Iā€™m concerned I might have the issue. Anyone elseā€™s drop to the halfway point and stay?

Iā€™m at 2200 miles.
My oil level has stayed at the full mark through 4000 miles of driving...up until I had a track day. It dropped down to the half-way point and has been there for the past 500 miles. I think that in my case, oil consumption coincides with how hard I push the car. Build date is 1/21. By the way, does anyone else have a "caution: load carrying capacity reduced" sticker next to the build date sticker?

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
One thing I do wish car manufacturers would do is have all information for pressure and temps that technicians would use be available on the infotainment center. Cat does this with their VIMS and it works amazing. The hidden gauges are a joke at best for this car.
absolutely. like the temperature menu hidden on a performance car? come on. Some OEMs do it right but I'm seeing a particularly poor level of transparency from BMW.
IMG_9413.jpeg

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
Just an update. Another 100 miles driven today and another 1/4 quart burned. Went down another notch.

Now I am concerned ugh. This is great.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I was asking Bc I had a friend with an low oil light come on(screen said to add 1 Qt) and she added 1 Qt and affer 1 hours, the same light came on. She then went to the dealership and was told that she was actually 2.5 qts lowā€¦.. thatā€™s kinda scary if you ask me. Just IMO.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Fair question. No one has proven anything of the sort with this motor. If someone has, share the information and I'll happily learn from it.

Nothing in my statement stated whether or not damage to an engine occurs regardless of low oil level warning or low oil pressure warning. If there's anything unclear specifically in my statements, please point it out and I can make the correction to ensure it doesn't cause confusion for other readers.
I think it's a safe generalization regardless of motor, etc. After all, depending on the amount, you can be perfectly fine but still technically "low" on oil (up to a bit over a quart low). With low pressure however it's now very likely that oil is not circulating properly, and possibly not even reaching some area of the engine, turbo, etc. That's definitely going to cause problems.

Naturally if the oil is low enough... that will cause damage as well - but by the time it's that low, it might also be triggering the pressure warning.

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I just read some opinions about the tight tolerances of this engine and how a 5w-30 oil can ruin the tight tolerances, and I am now left wondering if using a 5w-30 instead of the spec 0w-20 would be harmful or if it wouldn't make any difference at all in under 2000 miles? I started seeing consumption once I switched to 5w-30 but it might be too early to tell (1600 miles on the 5w-30 oil)

Doubt switching to a 5w-30 could do any harm in 1600 miles, but who knows. Anyone here regularly use 5w-30 without issues?

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
I just read some opinions about the tight tolerances of this engine and how a 5w-30 oil can ruin the tight tolerances, and I am now left wondering if using a 5w-30 instead of the spec 0w-20 would be harmful or if it wouldn't make any difference at all in under 2000 miles? I started seeing consumption once I switched to 5w-30 but it might be too early to tell (1600 miles on the 5w-30 oil)

Doubt switching to a 5w-30 could do any harm in 1600 miles, but who knows. Anyone here regularly use 5w-30 without issues?
There is definitely some people here that have been running 5W30 for quite a while without issues. How much oil does it say you are down over those 1600 miles?

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
There is definitely some people here that have been running 5W30 for quite a while without issues. How much oil does it say you are down over those 1600 miles?
Yeah I did some searching after I posted the question and noticed a few people running 5w-30.

Says itā€™s down 3/4 of a quart since oil change. Odd thing is it was at MAX at 2000 miles, and at 2350 it was down to 1/4 above the MIN mark. Lost 3/4 of a quart in 350 miles.

As long as I donā€™t have any cylinder scoring and whatnot, I suppose Iā€™d be okay with some consumption.

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Turns out the shop put in 0w-20 on my last oil change anyways instead of the 5w-30 Liqui moly lol. Iā€™m just going to stick with the OEM spec 0w-20 and see how everything goes.

OilySupra

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2021
I've had the oil light come up 3 times in 4000 miles. First was at 1600, second at 2900, 3rd at 4100. Toyota Service just topped it off the last time and gave me some 0w-16 oil to top it off the next time it comes up???????
I had a case with BMW opened on the second visit. The third one they didnt even record it, just added the oil and sent me my way.
I'm worried already and looking for advice on what should I do next

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
I've had the oil light come up 3 times in 4000 miles. First was at 1600, second at 2900, 3rd at 4100. Toyota Service just topped it off the last time and gave me some 0w-16 oil to top it off the next time it comes up???????
I had a case with BMW opened on the second visit. The third one they didnt even record it, just added the oil and sent me my way.
I would definitely request that every time you visit the dealer for oil that it gets put in your service records...

Steve

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
Thought I was doing alright, but over exactly an month and 1100 miles of driving (Iā€™m over 5200 miles now total) my oil level rapidly dropped from 100% (at the max line) to 25%. No sign of burning or leaking oil. No unusual carbon deposits. Nothing. Iā€™ve been checking about once a week after returning home from work, in my garage (reasonably level).

I opened a case with Toyota and have a service appointment coming up (cart before horse, I know). Wouldnā€™t be surprised if itā€™s a sensor issue, or just a matter of Toyota/BMWā€™s one-size-fits all insistence on such thin oil even in hot climates. Perhaps a little of both. Anyhow, Iā€™m trying not to stress about it. Trying, not succeeding. :(

Tripjammer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium 3.0
Bro I am going into the dealer next Tuesday they only got 2 certified GR Supra Techs so itā€™s Tuesday through Thursday!
I got low oil light 3 times already and I am at 6k miles and I also got the issue where the car will stop checking the oil level at 20 percent. I just did the unplug battery for 30 mins trick we will see. I was able to check the oil a week ago and it was 1/4 from the min after 1200 miles so not too bad I guess. Itā€™s crazy that toyota donā€™t know how to fix these issues yet! I got an open case. Other than burning oil and unable to sometimes check oil level the car is flawless! We will see this coming Tuesday itā€™s also gonna be the first oil changeā€¦..

Aryanenzo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Got 2nd low oil warning at 4500 miles. First one was at 2500 miles. Taking it back to Toyota this week for the second top off + inspection to see what's wrong. Has anyone had their engine replaced by Toyota? I wonder if the car will be the same after its replaced. Like what if they mess it up...

The thing is too, I checked it manually. I wonder how long I could've driven until the message popped up on its own.

My build is 06/20. Funny thing is I turned down a used Quadrifoglio to avoid dealer visits...
Sponsored