Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

anotherbrian

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
s2000
I don’t know if this is accurate, but on the FB group I’m a part of it seems to be people who have followed their break in procedure by the book. Supposedly the people who “beat” on their car and drive them like they are meant to are having less issues.

I have no idea if it’s true or if those people are full of crap, but it’s interesting none the less. Im no mechanic by any means so I don’t know if being more aggressive makes everything actually seat properly or not.
I'm in a FB Group call "Toyota Supra MK5/MKV Owners Club" and I can say there is no consensus on the cause of the issue and "Supposedly the people who "beat" on their car" is a gross mischaracterization of the discussion there. Some people who beat their car (modded / tracked)
from day one do not have the problem and others that treated their cars like a baby have the problem.

There was a post where someone theorized that a coating placed on the block during manufacturing was misapplied or otherwise defective.

BTW Faye Hadley (mechanic) of youtube fame claimed the issue was fixed stating "There was a recall for the valve covers (where the pcv is) that solved the issue in the earlier models !". However I've never seen more info on this and new oil issues keep popping up in the fb group.
Sponsored

21Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium, Honda CRV Hybrid Touring
I'm in a FB Group call "Toyota Supra MK5/MKV Owners Club" and I can say there is no consensus on the cause of the issue and "Supposedly the people who "beat" on their car" is a gross mischaracterization of the discussion there. Some people who beat their car (modded / tracked)
from day one do not have the problem and others that treated their cars like a baby have the problem.

There was a post where someone theorized that a coating placed on the block during manufacturing was misapplied or otherwise defective.

BTW Faye Hadley (mechanic) of youtube fame claimed the issue was fixed stating "There was a recall for the valve covers (where the pcv is) that solved the issue in the earlier models !". However I've never seen more info on this and new oil issues keep popping up in the fb group.

There are multiple posts/threads on that group where people are saying the oil issues stem from people not following break in and constantly red lining it right out of the gate. I said twice in my post that I had no idea if it was true or not.

BMW_YOTA

First Name
joey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra GR
I checked my oil level at 5k before oil change and it was still at max. My commute to work is 30+ miles with most of it being hwy. Not sure if the folks that are have consumption issues are driving less and not letting the oil/engine get to temp.

My previous 335i with the n54 engine seemed it would use more oil the less I drove it...
When did you buy your car?

gabeyts

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV
Just had this issue pop up yesterday. I'm at around 4500 miles. Just installed JB4 3 weeks ago. I drive very aggressively. Measured oil and it is indeed low. Changed oil about 2500 miles ago so this is concerning. Should I be good to go uninstalling JB4 when taking to the dealer if this issue continues? My plan for now is to just add oil and see if it happens again with changed driving habits.

21Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium, Honda CRV Hybrid Touring
Just had this issue pop up yesterday. I'm at around 4500 miles. Just installed JB4 3 weeks ago. I drive very aggressively. Measured oil and it is indeed low. Changed oil about 2500 miles ago so this is concerning. Should I be good to go uninstalling JB4 when taking to the dealer if this issue continues? My plan for now is to just add oil and see if it happens again with changed driving habits.
wait to install and take it to the dealer to get it documented. This shouldn’t be happening regardless so you need to make sure they warranty it.

Foxhound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
2021 A91, I got the low oil notification at 4900 miles. It’s going into the dealership tomorrow.

FYI I took it easy during break in and followed manufacturer recommendation.

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
Unfortunately I already installed it.
Just take it off before going into the dealership. You don't have to remove the OBD plug completely. Just put the JB4 into map 0, then you can unplug it and tuck the OBD up and away.

gabeyts

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV
Just take it off before going into the dealership. You don't have to remove the OBD plug completely. Just put the JB4 into map 0, then you can unplug it and tuck the OBD up and away.
Thanks, I took it out anyway to be safe. I am going to go to the dealer today and will report my findings.

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
Thanks, I took it out anyway to be safe. I am going to go to the dealer today and will report my findings.
Please keep us posted. While the sample size has been small thus far (less than 30 people between here and facebook that i've counted) it certainly is trending in the wrong direction. I am just now at 1300 miles and keeping a close eye on mine.

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I got my second warning today, it goes in on Thursday. We'll see what they say about it, I'll keep everyone posted.
Would you mind sharing any details between the two warnings, like mileage, operating conditions, etc.?

Spiguyver

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition Refraction Blue
Would you mind sharing any details between the two warnings, like mileage, operating conditions, etc.?
First warning was at 3850, today was at 5818. It is my daily driver and I do a mix of highway and city streets. I don't baby it, but I am not on it all the time. I do enjoy pushing it from time to time.

gabeyts

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV
Hi everyone, here with a partial update. Don't have the car back yet, but spoke to the service advisor. He said that Toyota is saying that apparently it's considered normal that these engines burn oil during the first 10,000 miles. They are going to do a full oil change and make sure its running smooth then get it back to me. I will report more tomorrow if I get more/written info tomorrow. I was also given that questionnaire that was posted here or in another thread about driving habits.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
Hi everyone, here with a partial update. Don't have the car back yet, but spoke to the service advisor. He said that Toyota is saying that apparently it's considered normal that these engines burn oil during the first 10,000 miles. They are going to do a full oil change and make sure its running smooth then get it back to me. I will report more tomorrow if I get more/written info tomorrow. I was also given that questionnaire that was posted here or in another thread about driving habits.

Be careful with this. Theres a few things to keep in mind when people say oil burning is normal.

BMW states that during the breakin period, the engine can sometimes burn up to 1 liter of oil (roughly 1.05 qts)every 1500 miles. Our cars hold roughly 7 qts. Low warnings generally come on when the car is around 2-3 qts of oil remaining. That would mean that if you are getting a low oil waarning at 1500 miles, you have burned 4+ qts of oil in 1500 miles. That is NOT normal.

Take a look at my picture below. This is my A91 2021 Supra after an oil change at 1100 miles, and then a full track day (so you know i drove it hard) and then another 1300 miles driven with a mix of sport mode and normal. Car sits at just below 2500 miles. Based on the measurement, my car has only burned about 1qt of oil in the past 1300 miles. (including the track day). THIS is NORMAL behavior. You generally burn more oil during a track day since you're in the upper RPM limit for a lot longer but as you can see, i'm still within spec. I dont expect to see a low oil warning till i'm close to 12000 miles, however i tend to do an oil change every 6 months out of habit.

IMG_1437.jpg

If you are getting a low oil warning light at any mileage below 10,000, take a video. Record it, document it. And let toyota know. Even with the max oil being burned by BMW standards for the B58 engine, you shouldnt see a low oil warning till around 9000 miles driven.
Sponsored