Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

3TMagnetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
I'm running Amsoil 0w-20. I've already put one quart of the oil in. I'm afraid the dealership wouldn't do anything now because I don't have the low oil warning message anymore.

I'm gonna try and call them Monday to see if they have cases like this and make an appointment. I will definitely take everything off before going to them. I'm not risking it and let them have any chance to get my car flagged.

Are you using AMSOIL European Formula 0w20???
Sponsored

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
I had a low oil warning 450-500 miles after a recent oil change. I added oil as directed, and the level returned to maximum.

while the change below is within operating level, it adds to concern as there has been a measurable drop after only about 200 miles. No evidence of leaks.

67093F8B-D0FE-4D35-A0B7-A58C33190BCD.jpeg

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
I had a low oil warning 450-500 miles after a recent oil change. I added oil as directed, and the level returned to maximum.

while the change below is within operating level, it adds to concern as there has been a measurable drop after only about 200 miles. No evidence of leaks.

67093F8B-D0FE-4D35-A0B7-A58C33190BCD.jpeg
this measurement was taken 200 miles after you topped up a quart? Seems excessive. Is there any chance that last oil change wasn’t topped up properly in the first place? Cos a low oil warning just 500 miles after a full oil change is also pretty crazy.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
this measurement was taken 200 miles after you topped up a quart? Seems excessive. Is there any chance that last oil change wasn’t topped up properly in the first place? Cos a low oil warning just 500 miles after a full oil change is also pretty crazy.
Yes, that is possible and is my hope.

What would be particularly telling is if it gives me the must add warning oil warning in the next couple of thousand miles. That’s the only benchmark I have. I added a quart when it said “must add” so when it gets there again, that should be a rough approximation of how many miles to 1 quart of loss. All we really know as of today is that a measurable amount of oil was spent in 200 miles.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes, that is possible and is my hope.

What would be particularly telling is if it gives me the must add warning oil warning in the next couple of thousand miles. That’s the only benchmark I have. I added a quart when it said “must add” so when it gets there again, that should be a rough approximation of how many miles to 1 quart of loss. All we really know as of today is that a measurable amount of oil was spent in 200 miles.
if they were short on the oil change, could explain both the incidents. Since the oil measurement isn’t super precise, perhaps the change was short from “true full” by more than 1 quart in the first place.

i plan to run the oil measurement every 500km after the last oil change, to see how soon it drops.

good luck with your car, fingers crossed it’s a one off and the consumption stabilizes. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
The oil level measurement is very inconsistent in my experience. It was hovering around the 1/4 above min mark for a couple hundred miles and then all of a sudden it went UP to 1/2 after another 100 miles. I did a track day and pushed the car hard, and it went from 1/2 back down to 1/4 above again lol. Been a little over 2000 miles and I haven’t had the warning light yet.

Overall though, I’m still happy with the car. It did extremely well on the track and I was impressed with it. Super fun. I have two more track days this week, so this will be 3 days in one week :) I’m really testing this thing.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The oil level measurement is very inconsistent in my experience. It was hovering around the 1/4 above min mark for a couple hundred miles and then all of a sudden it went UP to 1/2 after another 100 miles. I did a track day and pushed the car hard, and it went from 1/2 back down to 1/4 above again lol. Been a little over 2000 miles and I haven’t had the warning light yet.
I observed a similar fluctuation pattern. Which makes sense why BM... I mean, Toyota says not to top up until it’s specifically called for.

kanpen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FX35 FZ09 Supra A91
My 2021 showed a drop in oil level after a track day, and then asked for a quart to be added at 2500 miles.

SupraBC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 2.0
I have read some of this thread but not all of it.

A question I have is this; Is this excessive oil consumption mainly a problem on the 2.0 engine or the 3.0 engine or on both?

TIA

Spoiler
I just had the low oil message pop up yesterday in my 2.0 after some spirited driving. Car has 6k miles (9 months).
After what I've read since yday about BWW turbo engines, break-in period, driving styles and the 1 liter per 1,500 miles rule, I think in my case 6k is reasonable.

Gonna add 1 quart of Toyota GR oil later today and booked my 1st service appointment for oil change on Friday, which I was planning on doing soon anyways.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
I just had the low oil message pop up yesterday in my 2.0 after some spirited driving. Car has 6k miles (9 months).
After what I've read since yday about BWW turbo engines, break-in period, driving styles and the 1 liter per 1,500 miles rule, I think in my case 6k is reasonable.

Gonna add 1 quart of Toyota GR oil later today and booked my 1st service appointment for oil change on Friday, which I was planning on doing soon anyways.
Thats better than the factory spec published.

I had similar if not better experience in Germany with M235i and M2 both in my garage. Neither would use more than a liter in between 15000km changes. I used best factory M oils and used the published schedule. My 440i Xdrive uses virtually no oil between changes.

I check after min 30 min driving and do so weekly. This issue has legs but is over published in terms of impact. If the motor is bad they change it under warranty timeframe. Not worth losing sleep over. If I was a bit low, I add my own carefully and just drive as normal. Enjoy the cars!

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
So far I've added

1qt at 3600mi
1/2qt at 4200mi

Went by Toyota today and thought a few snippets of what they said were pretty interesting:

- Toyota/BMW knows about the issue and hasn't officially published a fix/response/etc (we know this). Also from the inside info they said they have heard, just "accepting" the oil burn as a product of owning a "sport" motor is a very high likelihood and Toyota/BMW might not do anything at all.

-Toyota will top off your oil for free and document as often as you need. This does take up a bit of your time as they have to write up a full work order and all that, so keep that in mind.

-Sport mode burns oil quicker (could be some truth to this but take with a grain of salt)

-When asking if I can put better/thicker oil in the car, they said no and to only use the Toyota Supra oil (I'm not surprised at their official suggestion, but still rolled my eyes)

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
So far I've added

1qt at 3600mi
1/2qt at 4200mi

Went by Toyota today and thought a few snippets of what they said were pretty interesting:

- Toyota/BMW knows about the issue and hasn't officially published a fix/response/etc (we know this). Also from the inside info they said they have heard, just "accepting" the oil burn as a product of owning a "sport" motor is a very high likelihood and Toyota/BMW might not do anything at all.

-Toyota will top off your oil for free and document as often as you need. This does take up a bit of your time as they have to write up a full work order and all that, so keep that in mind.

-Sport mode burns oil quicker (could be some truth to this but take with a grain of salt)

-When asking if I can put better/thicker oil in the car, they said no and to only use the Toyota Supra oil (I'm not surprised at their official suggestion, but still rolled my eyes)
If they’re not going to do anything about it that’s BS. If mine was burning oil I would demand a fix and further investigation.

-RJM

Last edited:

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
If they’re not going to do anything about it that’s BS. If mine was burning oil I would demand a fix and further investigation.

-RJM
Yeah that's what I'm saying. I smell a class action coming tbh?
Sponsored