• Total voters

RD29

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
The dealer is lying about "a few quarts low". Even if the cap is off, that's on top of the engine, oil does not flow upward
I at least took a picture of the oil measurement last night when I got home showing it at normal levels, and the dealership is less than 3 miles away. I'll bring that up when I pick my car up later. :/

Edit - They called and found the cap in the engine bay. He talked to the technician and clarified that "a few quarts" was actually "maybe a bit less than that' and the CEL was triggered when some oil spilled onto the PCV valve. No signs of any damage, just need to get it cleaned up.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Update: had my oil change today. Switched to 0w30 while keeping warranty as Toyota told me on phone. Tech measured my oil out of the car and found 1.5 quarts missing. I tested the oil levels before the change and it showed 20% above min line.

i beat on it a little bit on the way home and oil levels read full. I hope this thicker oil slows/stops my consumption

TeaTango

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Absolute Zero '21 Supra 3.0 premium
Got the supra in at the dealer today and they are checking into the oil consumption. They actually brought it up first because I brought it in at 5400 miles for an oil change and not at 10k, and the guy mentioned that there were some issues on some Supras that he was going to have the car checked out for.

For reference, I had to add a quart at 3600 miles, and a second quart at 5100. I decided to bring it in to the dealer for one of those 2 free oil changes, and have them check in on it while it was there. The car is stock other than an MST intake and inlet pipe but that was installed after the first low oil notification around 4300 miles.
Just to throw an update out there, I went 1000 miles as requested and brought it back to the dealer for them to measure the oil and send the info up to Toyota. Over this 1000 miles the oil level stayed right at max the entire time, I checked oil level after every significant drive.

Also had the recall performed so I have full screen apple carplay, although I need to re-code out the pumped in engine noise and other stuff as it seemed to reset those.

Aryanenzo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Build date 06/20

First oil warning: 4000km
Second Oil warning: 7700km, performed oil change
Third Oil warning: 8900km

Dealer drained the oil and measured it, found it was 500ml lower than it should be (despite the car asking to fill up 1L). 500ml burnt in 1200km (745 miles)...this is not good. And what especially worries me is that the problem is getting worse and worse. I don't even drive this car hard, I'm mostly sitting in traffic commuting to work and back.

They started the oil consumption test today for my car. Taped the oil filter housing, drain plug and oil cap. Told me to bring it back within 1900-2100km.

Will update.

You know, I really wanted to buy a Quadrifoglio used, but didn't want to deal with the spotty dealership network and unreliability. The supra has been a great car, but there are so many little things that are adding up. The oil consumption, the squeaks and rattles, the awful steering wheel...hopefully the oil consumption will be remedied and I'll deal with the other issues in the future.

Aryanenzo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Has anyone wondered if the dealership is actually filling up these cars with the right amount of oil? if my dealership used the onboard idrive sensor read out to know when the car is "full", that only has 4 possible read outs. There's probably a wide margin of error for what is considered "full".

This sensor is not accurate either. It told me at 1200km since my last oil change to put in a quart of oil. When the dealership dumped all the oil out, they found it was 500ml empty not a litre. And I don't know if they even took into account the oil in the filter. A 100-200ml off from the oil change due to sensor not being precise (range of what is considered "full") and 100ml in the filter, some left in the engine....then maybe my car burnt a normal amount of oil in 1200km. If I had put in a quart like it asked, then surely i be overfilling the engine?

If I were doing the oil changes myself, I would just measure the full 6.5qt and dump it in. I wouldn't bother with the iDrive.

This whole no dipstick situation is so dumb.

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
Has anyone in here had a resolution to their oil consumption? I started at a quart every 3k miles and now I'm seeing a quart at 1500 miles. I mean the car is under warranty so I'm not too worried. But has anyone actually gone through the whole process? Did Toyota/BMW give any reasoning to why consumption is happening?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Has anyone in here had a resolution to their oil consumption? I started at a quart every 3k miles and now I'm seeing a quart at 1500 miles. I mean the car is under warranty so I'm not too worried. But has anyone actually gone through the whole process? Did Toyota/BMW give any reasoning to why consumption is happening?
no. Quart/1500 miles is in BWM tolerance.

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
no. Quart/1500 miles is in BWM tolerance.
Right, I'm aware of that. It's concerning that my consumption rate doubled between oil changes. Maybe it wasn't filled all the way, who knows. Less concerned about my own car though, trying to understand if anyone has seen resolution after their consumption got serious

SupraLeggera

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
2021 GR Supra 3.0 bought new in summer

I was aware of the oil burning discussions and was doing regular checks. Factory oil never went below the max line during break-in.

Followed break-in and to be safe I had the Toyota dealership do an early oil change around 1,200 miles. (Checked it was factory GR oil which bizarrely was priced at $360 on the Toyota system).

Now car is at 4,300 miles the oil level is near the low level threshold (see image)
PXL_20210930_204834157.jpg

Meaning it has burned through that much in 3k miles ?

My driving has mostly been cruising and about 35% in sport mode(only when engine is up to temp), doing things like hard pulls onto the highway and occasional high speed duels with AMGs, STIs, Mustangs. Never tracked, no mods.

Spoke to the GR Supra tech at my dealership who owns a 2020 himself. Told me the majority of 2021s he's seen have oil burning issues and no resolution in sight. Just says take it in to measure the oil drained, examine the inside of the engine if I want and add the data to a long list of '21 cars being reported to the Toyota regional rep.

It appears to be running fine. Certainly no performance issues. Only slightly odd thing is I think one exhaust looks a bit dirtier than the other.

I've been looking at various forums, someone was suggesting a valve that regulates oil pressure might be at fault? Anyone hear more on this?

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
I've been looking at various forums, someone was suggesting a valve that regulates oil pressure might be at fault? Anyone hear more on this?
I’ve seen something about this as well. Haven’t heard anything else other than one person was looking into it as a solution.

Would love to hear more about it, whether it worked or not.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I’ve seen something about this as well. Haven’t heard anything else other than one person was looking into it as a solution.

Would love to hear more about it, whether it worked or not.
Its worth a shot if your consuming too much oil. The part isn’t that expensive.

- Oil pressure valve assembly p/n 23950WAA01 (if excessively burning oil)

-Oil level sensor p/n 89491WAA01 (if cannot measure oil)

-RJM
Sponsored