Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Take a look at my picture below. This is my A91 2021 Supra after an oil change at 1100 miles, and then a full track day (so you know i drove it hard) and then another 1300 miles driven with a mix of sport mode and normal. Car sits at just below 2500 miles. Based on the measurement, my car has only burned about 1qt of oil in the past 1300 miles. (including the track day). THIS is NORMAL behavior. You generally burn more oil during a track day since you're in the upper RPM limit for a lot longer but as you can see, i'm still within spec. I dont expect to see a low oil warning till i'm close to 12000 miles, however i tend to do an oil change every 6 months out of habit.

IMG_1437.jpg
Could you please clarify how your image would tell us your car has used 1qt of oil? Your image shows your car is at max oil fill line. The gauge will show if you overfill the oil - indicated by any green shown above the "max" line.

My car at ~100 miles had shown oil at the max line (same as your image), as have others online who show their oil levels after an oil change or when their cars are new. I do wish our owners manual would provide a graphical representation of the oil level graph to reinforce this point, but in most cars I've owned (typical street cars) the distance between max and min typically equates to 1qt of oil.

I have previously owned VW, Toyota, and Honda products, so I am still learning about BMWs...but as I dig into BMW's of different generations and their documentation, I continue to find that the oil level should sit between the Max and Min lines - anything above or below the lines indicates either overfill or underfill. Included an example below.
1616540614115.png
Sponsored

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
Could you please clarify how your image would tell us your car has used 1qt of oil? Your image shows your car is at max oil fill line. The gauge will show if you overfill the oil - indicated by any green shown above the "max" line.

My car at ~100 miles had shown oil at the max line (same as your image), as have others online who show their oil levels after an oil change or when their cars are new. I do wish our owners manual would provide a graphical representation of the oil level graph to reinforce this point, but in most cars I've owned (typical street cars) the distance between max and min typically equates to 1qt of oil.

I have previously owned VW, Toyota, and Honda products, so I am still learning about BMWs...but as I dig into BMW's of different generations and their documentation, I continue to find that the oil level should sit between the Max and Min lines - anything above or below the lines indicates either overfill or underfill. Included an example below.
1616540614115.png

Ah this could have been a mis-reading on my part. I was pretty sure that right after the oil change it showed above that line but i could have not remembered properly.

That being said since our cars and most modern BMWs dont actually use a physical dipstick, im pretty sure that line does not only equal one liter. However i have been wrong before.

I do agree i wish our manual provided more clarity on this and this was just based off of my own assumptions and what i've seen in other people's cars.

Foxhound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
@gcmak thats some BS from Toyota. Only 2k miles driven and low oil is not normal; CALL TOYOTA CORPORATE AND OPEN A CASE. Get it on their radar, otherwise you’re gonna get shafted.

I know exactly what’s gonna happen tomorrow when I drop off my car at the service; they’re going to tell me that my oil consumption is normal and there are no problems. I already have my case with corporate open (due to other issues) and I’m going to give my rep an earful if this is indeed the outcome.

For reference I believe my Supra was manufactured in July 2020.

Spiguyver

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition Refraction Blue
@gcmak thats some BS from Toyota. Only 2k miles driven and low oil is not normal; CALL TOYOTA CORPORATE AND OPEN A CASE. Get it on their radar, otherwise you’re gonna get shafted.

I know exactly what’s gonna happen tomorrow when I drop off my car at the service; they’re going to tell me that my oil consumption is normal and there are no problems. I already have my case with corporate open (due to other issues) and I’m going to give my rep an earful if this is indeed the outcome.

Do you have a contact name and number at corporate in case I am told this is normal when I drop mine off Thursday?

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra

Sorry, what exactly was BS from Toyota that I stated? I'm not sure I quite follow. I never disagreed that low oil with 2K miles driven is not normal...lol. If I run into the same issue with low-oil I'm absolutely going to make a case with Toyota - ain't really my first rodeo.

gabeyts

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV
Sorry, what exactly was BS from Toyota that I stated? I'm not sure I quite follow. I never disagreed that low oil with 2K miles driven is not normal...lol. If I run into the same issue with low-oil I'm absolutely going to make a case with Toyota - ain't really my first rodeo.
I think he might mean what I posted about it being normal to burn oil like this in the first 10k miles. As long as its under warranty I am personally not worried. Toyota also sold me the 7 year comprehensive platinum whatever it is warranty for $1K. If anything that thing is gonna pay for itself many times over like any other BMW, haha.

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
I think he might mean what I posted about it being normal to burn oil like this in the first 10k miles. As long as its under warranty I am personally not worried. Toyota also sold me the 7 year comprehensive platinum whatever it is warranty for $1K. If anything that thing is gonna pay for itself many times over like any other BMW, haha.
This too is where I'm at. I'm going to drive it and if it happens to me, I'll go through the warranty process etc.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
So overall this oil burning issue seems to be related to 2021 with upgreaded B58 or do earlier years with B58C also suffer from this?

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
i still don’t think any oil burning is ever “normal,” on a brand new spanking car........ Regardless of what the manufacturer says. It almost seems like they are making an excuse for a poorly designed motor...

21Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium, Honda CRV Hybrid Touring
i still don’t think any oil burning is ever “normal,” on a brand new spanking car........ Regardless of what the manufacturer says. It almost seems like they are making an excuse for a poorly designed motor...
If its so normal why did some people have their motors replaced for it in the beginning? It doesnt add up.

Foxhound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
D6614F12-0CDE-40D2-B495-2614A059F0B7.jpeg

For @gabeyts they said it was normal, but for me the same issue is under investigation :dunno:

I did not have to fill out a questionnaire.

What a mess

Last edited:

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
I know a couple of fellas who have 21s and said to hell with it and put a heavier oil in their cars. Neither have had any issue at all and both are at or past 10k. They said they know the risks of running "non spec" oil if anything does happen but also say it's what bmw runs on their B58s and not this crap 20 water-like oil.

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I know a couple of fellas who have 21s and said to hell with it and put a heavier oil in their cars. Neither have had any issue at all and both are at or past 10k. They said they know the risks of running "non spec" oil if anything does happen but also say it's what bmw runs on their B58s and not this crap 20 water-like oil.
I was surprised to learn from friends with the M2 Competition (I know has a different motor) uses 0w30 from the factory and one friend tracks his ~6x a year (since 2019) and only services his car at recommended intervals at BMW, and has not experienced low oil or consumption issues. I would have thought that motor/car would use a heavier oil (at least 0w40). I wonder if there's a way to push Toyota to use 0w30, since it's listed as an alternative oil weight in the manual, and Toyota sells 0w30 for the Supra. I might ask my service center.

I did contact two local performance shops who maintain a few Supras for clients who regularly track their Supra (with no issues thus far), recommended moving to a 5w40 oil.

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
I was surprised to learn from friends with the M2 Competition (I know has a different motor) uses 0w30 from the factory and one friend tracks his ~6x a year (since 2019) and only services his car at recommended intervals at BMW, and has not experienced low oil or consumption issues. I would have thought that motor/car would use a heavier oil (at least 0w40). I wonder if there's a way to push Toyota to use 0w30, since it's listed as an alternative oil weight in the manual, and Toyota sells 0w30 for the Supra. I might ask my service center.

I did contact two local performance shops who maintain a few Supras for clients who regularly track their Supra (with no issues thus far), recommended moving to a 5w40 oil.
5w40 was the suggestion I was told as well. I'm super tempted to try it but I'm only at 1300 miles haha.
Sponsored