Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Yep we got junk engines and toyota knows this they just don’t know how to fix it or how to remedy the situation. I wonder if that 2022 are any better?
Hard to say, but I doubt it - since it's the same engine. What is fairly safe to say, is that whatever R&D Toyota participated in over the development period with BMW... they certainly didn't do it with the B58 revision found in the MY21/22 models. Realistically, they probably didn't do it with the B58B30C either, but an earlier variant (maybe B58B30M0?). However, since all of the previous B58 variants were nearly identical as far as output and design... I'm thinking the move to the new head, pistons, exhaust mani, and tune are where the majority of oil consumption issues lie.
Sponsored

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Hard to say, but I doubt it - since it's the same engine. What is fairly safe to say, is that whatever R&D Toyota participated in over the development period with BMW... they certainly didn't do it with the B58 revision found in the MY21/22 models. Realistically, they probably didn't do it with the B58B30C either, but an earlier variant (maybe B58B30M0?). However, since all of the previous B58 variants were nearly identical as far as output and design... I'm thinking the move to the new head, pistons, exhaust mani, and tune are where the majority of oil consumption issues lie.
This issue needs simply analysis - vs the loud crying of internet OMG world ends I needed .5 qt or liter after 1500miles.

How many are actually using oil per the BMW spec. I see posts here with drivers outside of that and saying the motor is bad. I see post with one using 0-20 and switching to 0-30 and using more but still not a BMW problem as the motor is within oil useage spec. We see a small sample here who have an actual issue. BMW forum the same. So what is the number and post proof or some type of statistic showing BMW is ignoring this and how many are affected.
3 engines:
14 M235i - first year production minimal use
17 M2 - minimal use
18 440i - minimal use
Minimal as in 1 liter or less for 15000km or 10000miles.

Just ordered the new M240i so with the current spec B58 found in Supra 22 MY. I am not losing sleep on this. My experience was use a touch early as motor is maturing/breaking in over time. That being months of use up to 7-1000 miles. Very little after.

How many engines replaced so far? # etc. Ive seen nothing on any forum. I see owners with 3 or 4 thousand miles thinking the sky is falling needing 1 quart after 2500 miles or more.

Tripjammer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium 3.0
This issue needs simply analysis - vs the loud crying of internet OMG world ends I needed .5 qt or liter after 1500miles.

How many are actually using oil per the BMW spec. I see posts here with drivers outside of that and saying the motor is bad. I see post with one using 0-20 and switching to 0-30 and using more but still not a BMW problem as the motor is within oil useage spec. We see a small sample here who have an actual issue. BMW forum the same. So what is the number and post proof or some type of statistic showing BMW is ignoring this and how many are affected.
3 engines:
17 M2 - minimal use
18 440i - minimal use

Just ordered the new M240i so with the current spec B58 found in Supra 22 MY. I am not losing sleep on this. My experience was use a touch early as motor is maturing/breaking in over time. That being months of use up to 7-1000 miles. Very little after.

How many engines replaced so far? # etc. Ive seen nothing on any forum. I see owners with 3 or 4 thousand miles thinking the sky is falling needing 1 quart after 2500 miles or more.
True I am not too worried more worried about some of the toyota service people not knowing how to service this car….but I just went about 2200 miles and lost 1 quart I guess that is within spec right? I had my first oil change at 6100 and got min oil warning at 8400 ish you will get the warning even if you are unable to check oil level which is another common problem on some Supras and bmws with the B58 engines. So don’t worry too much if you can’t check oil level.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
The issue has a top to bottom projection

Sensor - good / bad
Time of measurement - min is 30min and motor warm/hot
Type of driving/style
Then is there mech issue/blowby etc.

I test it once a week after a good drive, on flat surface etc
We have seen a senor issue here with a thread about it
You will use a bit more if you are downshifting manually from what has been put out - engine braking
There is alot to consider. I would like to hear from at least 1 owner who had this documented and then had the motor replaced. What happend with the new motor etc. Be interesting to see. Of course I find no data released by BMW on this of course. They never do.

My 12 GTi with the faulty spark-plug(NGK), failed and ruined cyl 4. Only report was teardown from the dealer showing me what happend. No other data. With assessment by VW then to NGK for recovery of the cost involved in issuing my new motor.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
I’m now adding a second quart of oil after my first oil change. That makes it approximately 1 quart per thousand miles.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I’m now adding a second quart of oil after my first oil change. That makes it approximately 1 quart per thousand miles.
This is not normal. 1 quart after 3000 to 5000 miles is normal. If you put your ear to the engine cover with the motor turned off, do you hear a voice saying, "Feeeeeeeeed me Seymour..."

Last edited:

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
This is not normal. 1 quart after 3000 or 5000 is normal. If you put your ear to the engine cover with the motor turned off, do you hear a voice saying, "Feeeeeeeeed me Seymour..."
It’s worrisome.

and I like the film/theater reference. ?

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I think I figured these cars out. They actually fill themselves up the harder you drive them. Example. This is before my last auto-x event. 2550 miles on oil.

20211019_173640.jpg

This is after my auto-x event @ 2650 miles on the oil. So ya, take your car out racing and it will magically fill itself back up!

20211029_180226.jpg

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)

3 engines:
17 M2 - minimal use
18 440i - minimal use

Your‘re right there is a bit of everything in here. I’ve only heard of 3 people that had their engine changed or Toyota bought back their cars.

If mine had excessive oil consumption I would change this oil pressure control solenoid ASAP. A few people have reported improvements with it.

- Oil pressure valve assembly p/n 23950-WAA01

-RJM

EABFB8B7-65AB-46B9-899D-0408632FBA9C.jpeg

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Your‘re right there is a bit of everything in here. I’ve only heard of 3 people that had their engine changed or Toyota bought back their cars.

If mine had excessive oil consumption I would change this oil pressure control solenoid ASAP. A few people have reported improvements with it.

-RJM

If I had a confirmed use issue, this would be course #1 to assess if it fixes the problem. Then continue to monitor as miles/kms accumulate.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium

-RJM

So what's the theory here that ties this component to the loss of oil? @RenRed2

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)