• Total voters

iEatCommunists

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra 3.0 Premium
Warranties are great when you pay a good amount that was worth it's coverage.

My experience with motorcycles has taught me that the extended ones aren't worth it for me, and I'd rather just pay for a repair when the time comes.

Often I'd have the manufacturer find ways to claim some crap isn't covered. Sometimes it came down to stuff that was a grey area in the "Normal wear" field.

If it's a large enough issue they just create a recall for something anyway. So just depends on the deal they try to get you for. I believe for the 5 year one they wanted like 4-5k for it. I was like I'd rather spend that after my 2 years are up and see what needs to be replaced :p
10 year 125k = <4k if you go through Jennifer or whatever. Other threads discuss. Also motorcycle repairs are a lot cheaper than 60k bmw (*cough*) toyota repairs.

Bmws are notorious for having issues and breaking. Extended warranties for BMWs thru bmw is very expensive because it accounts for that high likelihood of paying out. Toyotas are notoriously well built and thus have much lower warranty cost. You are essentially getting a warranty on a bmw for the cost of a toyota warranty. Thats big savings.
Sponsored

Materia

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
10 year 125k = <4k if you go through Jennifer or whatever. Other threads discuss. Also motorcycle repairs are a lot cheaper than 60k bmw (*cough*) toyota repairs.

Bmws are notorious for having issues and breaking. Extended warranties for BMWs thru bmw is very expensive because it accounts for that high likelihood of paying out. Toyotas are notoriously well built and thus have much lower warranty cost. You are essentially getting a warranty on a bmw for the cost of a toyota warranty. Thats big savings.
Not saying costs are the same, just saying sometimes they like to fight you on some claims if you aren't fully stock or the part in question is a grey area for them. :p

Kinda like insurance claims... :p But yeah man, if you want warranty do it up, I was just saying why I personally hesitate on them.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra

BMW is a pain in the ass to fight warranty claims. Right out of warranty my x5 started leaking oil and they said I needed a new engine, my 135i right out of warranty had break issues and they said i need all new everything. The timing is way yo perfect.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Mine burns about 1 quart per 4000 miles as well. The oil is very thin being a 0w20. You oil consumption is within spec. nothing to worry about. Change the oil every 3-5000 miles and you'll reduce the build up on the back of the intake valves.
These engines do no have a coking/build up issue at all.

The oil use is not a large issue at all for this motor. BMW does not have a large cache of engines sitting around all due to oil burn. They are not at all replacing motor after motor. The issue here is a forum over reaction. Complete and total.

SupraLeggera

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
These engines do no have a coking/build up issue at all.

The oil use is not a large issue at all for this motor. BMW does not have a large cache of engines sitting around all due to oil burn. They are not at all replacing motor after motor. The issue here is a forum over reaction. Complete and total.
I asked Orr Motorsport (very reputable BMW shop) if low oil after 4k miles is normal for a B58 motor. Instant "no". Couldn't say anything specific about the Supra/Z4 version of the motor because they haven't seen any out of warranty cars yet.

My local GR Supra tech said the vast majority of 2021 GR Supras he's working on have oil burning issues and he owns a 2020 with none of the same issues.

Anecdotally, a friend of mine went over 25k miles before his 2015 BMW M3 displayed low oil, another with an E92 M3 told me my oil consumption would concern him. I never had oil burning with my BMW N20 motor after 35k miles.

My local dealerships are out of GR Oil, I ordered some from Street Speed who apologized to me saying there is a national shortage of GR Supra oil because of supply chain issues and so many Supra and Z4 owners with oil burning issues buying it all up.

I think the B58 motor is stout but the changes they did to the 2021 model year to increase the BHP may have caused an issue BMW are dragging their feet on because they know the fix is expensive. They did this with the N54 high pressure fuel pump failures and I've seen other car makers like Subaru delay responsibility for oil burning new engines before:

https://jalopnik.com/subaru-settles-lawsuit-over-oil-burning-cars-1752805682

Cynically, because it's easier and cheaper from a business perspective to say it's "normal" maintenance if cars aren't catching fire or leaving people stranded than it is to take responsibility and pay out for what could be an expensive engine fix.

I could be wrong, I'm just getting a lot of conflicting information and I don't trust BMW like I do Toyota to do right by us customers if there is indeed a problem that hasn't been disclosed.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
For those that need to keep that previous bottle of oil with them at all times...

2021-12-05.png

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Cynically, because it's easier and cheaper from a business perspective to say it's "normal" maintenance if cars aren't catching fire or leaving people stranded than it is to take responsibility and pay out for what could be an expensive engine fix.
If an engine runs, makes the advertised power, and otherwise operates as intended but needs oil every so often, what exactly needs to be fixed?

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
If an engine runs, makes the advertised power, and otherwise operates as intended but needs oil every so often, what exactly needs to be fixed?
Nothing. As if this didnt occur in normally aspirated motors lol

Nothing is reported here or in Germany with my contacts about this engine in any iteration being replace with any significant frequency due to oil use. BMW has been clear about what is acceptable and it applied to other engines like my motors in my M235i and 17 M2. This is a totall non story overall.

It does keep post counts up here and folks up at night - needlessly lol :)

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
Update on my consumption issue:

I would normally see the oil level go down to MIN every 1500-2000 miles after an oil change on 0w-20 oil. I decided to switch to Liqui Moly 5w-30 at 8600 miles.

Now, I have seen no oil level drop from mile 8600 to 11,300. I also had two track days in those 2700 miles.

Not sure if it’s the thicker oil that’s helping, or the fact that I’m now passed the 10k mile mark. I thought I read somewhere that BMW states oil consumption is especially normal under 10k miles due to the engine still being broken in.

SupraLeggera

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
My non mechanic assumption would be the piston head design they changed for the 2021 motor.

Either the design is flawed, a machining inconsistency or an assembly training issue on the production line is causing it to not seal like the 2020 design, leading it to burn more oil (as evidenced by the contrast in survey data here between model years).

It would be really expensive to recall the 2021s and have the dealers install replacement cylinder heads for an issue that isn't catastrophic (but could be in say 50k miles when the warranty is up). Plus the bad PR from all the media outlets reporting on it.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Update on my consumption issue:

I would normally see the oil level go down to MIN every 1500-2000 miles after an oil change on 0w-20 oil. I decided to switch to Liqui Moly 5w-30 at 8600 miles.

Now, I have seen no oil level drop from mile 8600 to 11,300. I also had two track days in those 2700 miles.

Not sure if it’s the thicker oil that’s helping, or the fact that I’m now passed the 10k mile mark. I thought I read somewhere that BMW states oil consumption is especially normal under 10k miles due to the engine still being broken in.
418038BA-17DA-436E-9E37-04E15BEF41DA.jpeg

Nope, it's the oil. I have a 21' A91 that was consuming oil like it was water til i changes the oil around 16k miles... it's been 3 months, HAAAAARD abuse, and now sitting at 23k miles with no consumption and no additional oil added. LiquiMoly is made to fix BMW's fuck ups lmao. I had this A91 running on different oils before i settled on the LiquiMoly. After i got good results on my yellow 20', i switched the A91 over to liquimoly and haven't looked back since.

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.

Nope, it's the oil. I have a 21' A91 that was consuming oil like it was water til i changes the oil around 16k miles... it's been 3 months, HAAAAARD abuse, and now sitting at 23k miles with no consumption and no additional oil added. LiquiMoly is made to fix BMW's fuck ups lmao. I had this A91 running on different oils before i settled on the LiquiMoly. After i got good results on my yellow 20', i switched the A91 over to liquimoly and haven't looked back since.
You've drove from 16,000-23,000 (7,000miles) and have not changed the oil?

Ekin95

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra

which liquimoly did you switch to? 5w-30 or 5w-40? Thank you
Sponsored