Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The Toyota Executive office has confirmed that they are releasing a TSB for the excessive oil consumption on the GR Supra. The fix is planned to be released to dealers this March 2022. As we know this is affecting at least the 2021 models (and probably the 2022 since nothing changed). The guy I spoke with there wasn't technical and had little detail behind it to explain, but it sounded like oil is essentially slipping past the valve seals.

>I'm 4 quarts in at 4500 miles on my 2021 bought in April of '21
what Mileage was your first oil message at?
Sponsored

Willow1308

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have lots of fun vechicles...
An official TSB from Toyota that addresses and confirms the oil consumption issue can’t have a positive effect on resell values…

It will be interesting to see what corrective actions the TBS suggests…

I’ll have to think long and hard about allowing a major engine warranty repair…

A lemon law buyback sounds safer…

But.. I’m also aware lemon law buybacks are not easy to accomplish…

….

O Haiii

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TOYOTA
An official TSB from Toyota that addresses and confirms the oil consumption issue can’t have a positive effect on resell values…

It will be interesting to see what corrective actions the TBS suggests…

I’ll have to think long and hard about allowing a major engine warranty repair…

A lemon law buyback sounds safer…

But.. I’m also aware lemon law buybacks are not easy to accomplish…

….
This is not lemon law eligible. It's a TSB. Just get it fixed and enjoy your car. It's just a car and a car that's made to be driven the piss out of.

Teleguy11

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra GR, 2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
Hey there! Having this very same issue myself. My A91 has a little over 2,700 miles on it and I just received my third notification to add oil. Took it to the dealer after the second occurrence, tech gave it a clean bill of health and reported no external leaks. I understand that driving styles impact oil consumption, but it seems abnormally high. Please let me know what you experience and I’ll be sure to do the same.
I currently have 4600 miles on my '21 3.0. I've had one dealer oil change at 3k miles after a road trip from Tampa to Baltimore with several 120+mph sprints.
I've had no issues with oil levels from the screen "dipstick".
Sorry your having this issue.... Purchase the extended warranty now!?

jorgerendonjr

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Scion F-RS RS1.0
Is the TSB even out? I keep looking up my vin on Toyotas recall page and there’s nothing yet.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
It will be interesting to see which cars qualify for the oil TSB. I’m sure several will not meet the criteria.

BTW all the GR Supras consume oil, including mine. The excessive part is subjective.

There is a guard band designed into the iDrive system. You can burn 1.5 quarts of oil before the *Add 1 quart* message appears.

-RJM

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
BMW defines clearly what is excessive.

Over thinking on this is common.

This motor uses more at early use than at later use. BMW does not have a warehouse full of warranty replaced motors or is replacing motors by the dozen for this or any other chassis using this motor.

Drive and enjoy. IF you are worried about your car being affected in terms of value. You can sell it now. If thats why you own this car or cant afford the loss of 'value' get a Honda. The bizarre market now which has used values up against new value etc, is an anomaly. Take advantage of it now and sell your Supra if its using oil in your opinion vs BMW's.

My 2.0 has not used a drop of oil since new including the period before its first change due to time. Turbo-charged cars use oil. Excessive downshifting exacerbates that as well. Get a normally aspirated car if this concerns you. Even then they can use oil. Just ask Mustang/Shelby GT350 owners about that lol --

>>I'll do my best to keep this thread straight to the point. I bought my 2017 GT350R brand new off of the showroom floor. Ever since ownership of this beast, I was losing about 1 quart of oil every 500-1000 miles, and would have to periodically add oil to the engine to keep the oil at the proper level, which according to the manual, this level of oil consumption was within specification and should improve over time. I had my first oil change at 1700 miles at a Ford dealership, and planned to have the oil changed again at 6700 miles. At 5700 miles, after topping off the oil level, I took a road trip with the car over a weekend with an oil change scheduled at a Ford dealership on my return.
By the time I had returned, my car now had 6700 miles on it, bringing the road trip to a total of 1000 miles. The following day, I took my car to the Ford dealership for my oil change and assumed it would be 1 quart low or something. Much to my surprise, I was informed that my car was 5 quarts low - half of the car's recommended engine oil volume. <<

Oh and any reading on the web about this 'issue' find AUDI/HONDA/SUBARU/FORD etc etc with issues. I guess all brands now using oil are having 'hits' to value........not really.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
As a current Audi owner, I've been on both sides of oil consumption issues. My 2011 (B8 car) had the issue and drank at least a quart every 2,500 miles. My 2016 (B8.5 car) pretty much uses zero oil between my 5,000 mile oil change intervals. With Audi, the issue was the oil rings on the pistons. This was corrected in 2013, which is when the B8.5 cars came out.

I can tell you for sure that the B8 cars took a hit in value for sure because most people search for the B8.5 cars to avoid the oil consumption issues. I'll have to keep an eye on this if I do decide to get a Supra in the coming year. I really don't want to deal with oil consumption again.

Camus

First Name
Daniel.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra , 2021 M4 Base.
To all these guys saying:
- iT's nOrMal fOr BmW eNgInEs
- iT's a sPoRtS cAr

Well, 11k miles on my M4 and NO oil consumption. So I guess the B58 in the 2021 Supra is way sportier than the 2020 B58 and the S58, so that's why is normal.

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
To all these guys saying:
- iT's nOrMal fOr BmW eNgInEs
- iT's a sPoRtS cAr

Well, 11k miles on my M4 and NO oil consumption. So I guess the B58 in the 2021 Supra is way sportier than the 2020 B58 and the S58, so that's why is normal.
How are you measuring it?

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
My Supra has passed the 10,000 mile mark, and I think it's safe to say my consumption has stopped. I'm currently at 3,800kms (2,360miles) since my last oil change, and it's still reading full. This might be hope for others that have an issue. Total mileage on my car is 20,000kms (12,500miles)

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
My Supra has passed the 10,000 mile mark, and I think it's safe to say my consumption has stopped. I'm currently at 3,800kms (2,360miles) since my last oil change, and it's still reading full. This might be hope for others that have an issue. Total mileage on my car is 20,000kms (12,500miles)
At 27,000 and measuring the oil level from the sensor readout directly for the past 10k miles, my rate of loss has not changed unfortunately 😝