Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
All in all, it’s starting to look like it’s piston rings causing the really bad oil consumption for some of the 2021’s.

Now the main concern for most having this issue is which dealerships can handle this type of service properly?

I know why the previous owner sold it with full PPF, HKS intake and springs. He just didn’t want to deal with it either.
The only thing that worries me is these engines have a special coating on the Cylinder wall. I wonder if the hone is still rough enough to seat new piston rings correctly.
Sponsored

Brivy

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 BRZ, 2012 Wrangler, 2021 Supra 3.0
What would y’all consider excessive? A low oil level light came on last night. It’s been about 5,000-5,500 miles since the last oil change.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
Another one on the FB group.

UPDATE… changed oil… wellness check and updated brake recall. Said drive it for 1000 miles and bring it back.

9800 miles, 3 oil changes, and 6 quarts of oil. I was driving last week and the check oil came on. Into the dealership I pulled. 1 quart and on my way. 32 miles to home, as I pull in the driveway the check oil comes on. 80 miles later back at dealership for another quart. 100 miles later contact Toyota your service is overdue…. Dealer says it probably needs rings. Just rings no new pistons. Hummmmm

8-mRWu&tn=Q0kf6ubTPlT5lvbt&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-2.jpg

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
What would y’all consider excessive? A low oil level light came on last night. It’s been about 5,000-5,500 miles since the last oil change.
That's about normal

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
Strange that my consumption seems to have slowed down after the 20k mile mark and plenty of track days later.

I did 3 track days back to back (Gridlife Midwest time attack) and also put about 2k miles on it since my last oil change. Level is still at max. It used to go down a notch, at minimum, with this kind of usage.

Cyph

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91
Strange that my consumption seems to have slowed down after the 20k mile mark and plenty of track days later.

I did 3 track days back to back (Gridlife Midwest time attack) and also put about 2k miles on it since my last oil change. Level is still at max. It used to go down a notch, at minimum, with this kind of usage.
Finally something positive in this thread lol. What is your build date?

Ricky-z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
2021 supra 2.0, b48tu engine, 10k miles, bought on 2021 August, no tracking, no jb4, all stock, just for daily. Popped out low oil warning during driving. The Toyota dealer seems to acknowledge this issue and told me they would inspect the reason, when the tech is free. And they also suggest not to add oil by myself.
One thing is, in April, I noticed BMW 330 in China has oil consumption issue. So I checked my car's oil level, which is maximum at that time. And I find out that during the last care (2021 Dec), the dealer added 6L oil.
Since I drove this car daily, I would say the oil level dropped from max to min during 3000 miles...

Lemmy

First Name
Emran
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
Hey folks , I know it’s been a while but wanted to update,

I did an oil change at 6.5k miles , currently at 11.5k, (was planning on changing oil soon)

had the light come up twice since the 6.5k, once at around 10k and again now at 11.5k. Both times I was driving the car hard (but not that hard I’m talking highway pulls here) , and when I unscrewed the oil cap there was visible smoke coming out. Is this at all indicative of the issue ?Could it be the piston/oil rings? Not sure what to do and I have to be honest I’m a bit worried about future damage down the line because of this now.

24403E27-427A-45F5-9A2F-38563F845DDC.jpeg

Ricky-z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
2021 supra 2.0, b48tu engine, 10k miles, bought on 2021 August, no tracking, no jb4, all stock, just for daily. Popped out low oil warning during driving. The Toyota dealer seems to acknowledge this issue and told me they would inspect the reason, when the tech is free. And they also suggest not to add oil by myself.
One thing is, in April, I noticed BMW 330 in China has oil consumption issue. So I checked my car's oil level, which is maximum at that time. And I find out that during the last care (2021 Dec), the dealer added 6L oil.
Since I drove this car daily, I would say the oil level dropped from max to min during 3000 miles...
Updates on this, dealer tech first thought there was a turbo leakage, then I found there is oil on the pipe from the oil gas separator to turbo. Manufacturer tech came and said okay, maybe not because of turbo leakage, but some others. And he said the oil consumption issue is not as serious as what is said on the internet. I wanted to say bull shit. Taking a look at how BMW designed b48tu's oil gas separator, use a yellow cotton filter to filt the oil and gas:
820_ChwFk2H8zY6AN4qAAAKAG95nb9g043.jpg

(this is from someone cut b48's oil gas separator: https://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thread/64bd3f28bd3aa792/101352005-1.html#pvareaid=6835679)
For the next, they start a consumption test and will let me drive for like several thousand miles to see what's going on.
For people who have no matter b48 or b58 engines, which are manufactured from later 2020 to 2022 Jan 11th, you may check your sparking plug. For b48tu, which is what I have, if there is oil in your sparking plug of the first and second cylinder as followed (left two), then good luck~:
820_Chxkm2HpA4CABRBSACHPSxHg6ko967.jpg

(https://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thread/a637986ca3c0c1a5/101269739-1.html)

john99teg

First Name
johnreb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a91 nocturnal special edition
I got a 2021 supra and having some type of oil consumption. It seems I would have a quart low every 2,500 miles with occasional spirited cruises (service oil change done every 5k miles). I think we also got to factor in driving habits. From my experience and from what I noticed, hard usage correlates with more oil consumption. My track days is for sure a quart low at the end of the day. I did a test for a couple thousand miles of no sport mode and no spirited driving. Oil was still full. Is this a real problem that should be address. I definitely think so. Well at least have toyota notify us on this characteristic.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
After nearly 16k miles since I bought the Supra I finally am getting the oil consumption taken care of by Toyota.

My dealership after starting the process has determined that I will need new pistons and rings. They found that I burned 1.5qts of oil in 1260miles. There was no scarring on the walls, but blow-by was obviously and issue.

I have no idea how long this will take, since it's all backordered to shit. I encourage you guys if you have serious oil burn (>1qt every 1300 miles) then please get it taken care of! Combined with the failure of the engine oil level sensor (electronic dipstick) this could have been a blown engine if I wasn't really paying attention to what was going on. I had no idea what the oil level was for a while, and I knew it was burning at a crazy rate. It was a tough situation but after getting the oil pump replaced, and the oil level sensor, I was able to read the oil level agian accurately.

Will hopefully drop in and update when the car makes its way home... For those of you wondering I believe the car was burning so much oil because the original owner barely drove it (3k miles in one year) and the piston rings likely were not broken in well from the factory or the first owner.

Here's hoping I get a Supra back this year that runs strong, and then I can finally move on to tuning and modifying it the way I want.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
After nearly 16k miles since I bought the Supra I finally am getting the oil consumption taken care of by Toyota.

My dealership after starting the process has determined that I will need new pistons and rings. They found that I burned 1.5qts of oil in 1260miles. There was no scarring on the walls, but blow-by was obviously and issue.

I have no idea how long this will take, since it's all backordered to shit. I encourage you guys if you have serious oil burn (>1qt every 1300 miles) then please get it taken care of! Combined with the failure of the engine oil level sensor (electronic dipstick) this could have been a blown engine if I wasn't really paying attention to what was going on. I had no idea what the oil level was for a while, and I knew it was burning at a crazy rate. It was a tough situation but after getting the oil pump replaced, and the oil level sensor, I was able to read the oil level agian accurately.

Will hopefully drop in and update when the car makes its way home... For those of you wondering I believe the car was burning so much oil because the original owner barely drove it (3k miles in one year) and the piston rings likely were not broken in well from the factory or the first owner.

Here's hoping I get a Supra back this year that runs strong, and then I can finally move on to tuning and modifying it the way I want.
Best of luck with the repair. Hopefully the turnaround time isnt super long.

Thanks for the update.

-RJM

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
Unsure if anyone's tracking this but chiming in in case it's useful: no issues at all 1 year in, build date June 2021. Drive the car mixed, long cruising journeys, very spirited backroads, and a fair amount of rolling pulls. More useful would be to correlate the build dates of anyone with the issue so we have a time window.

Is there any service bulletin for this now that people are getting bits replaced?

Darksereniti

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FD3S, ‘21 Supra
Update with my ‘22.

seems the sensor was at fault. Would get random readings .. would read full, then 3/4 full then 1/2 full all in about 30 min drive.

showed the Supra tech after he told me he can’t fill the oil when it is full.

he was surprised.

Toyota replaced the sensor and so far so good.
Sponsored