Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Update with my ‘22.

seems the sensor was at fault. Would get random readings .. would read full, then 3/4 full then 1/2 full all in about 30 min drive.

showed the Supra tech after he told me he can’t fill the oil when it is full.

he was surprised.

Toyota replaced the sensor and so far so good.
Glad to hear it was fixed. Did you charge the tech for the extra knowledge? 😆

-RJM
Sponsored

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Update with my ‘22.

seems the sensor was at fault. Would get random readings .. would read full, then 3/4 full then 1/2 full all in about 30 min drive.

showed the Supra tech after he told me he can’t fill the oil when it is full.

he was surprised.

Toyota replaced the sensor and so far so good.
Many cases of oil use being the sensor. This is a non issue in the larger sense here in Europe. Its just not a big deal. Not enough for people to think the car is simply going to nuke itself at all.

Forums are full issues-- in reality there is NOT a large one. 2 cases on the forum equals the world is ending. Typical LOL.

Blindspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
Hey everyone, I've done a search and didn't find anything; sorry if this has been covered already.

Are there any Canadian Supra 2021 MY owners out there who have had their oil consumption issues fixed by Toyota Canada?

I've had my car for just over a year now and have 22,000km on it, and it goes through so much oil (needs oil added every 1,600 - 2,000km). My local Toyota dealer has been nothing but nice and helpful but I'm going on eight months of waiting for a fix at this point and now I'm not getting any information or replies from them. Sure, all I need to do is keep adding oil and having the dealer do my oil changes but to say that I'm getting frustrated that my brand new vehicle isn't fixed yet would be an understatement. I know next to nothing about engines, but one of my concerns is that doing so much driving while having these issues might lead to damaged cylinders on top of the pistons and rings, but I won't pretend to know what I don't.

Is it only American cars that have been getting fixed, and is my delay down to me being in Canada? Or are there any Canadian Supra owners out there who have already had their oil issues fixed? Thanks for any help!

Ricky-z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
2021 supra 2.0, b48tu engine, 10k miles, bought on 2021 August, no tracking, no jb4, all stock, just for daily. Popped out low oil warning during driving. The Toyota dealer seems to acknowledge this issue and told me they would inspect the reason, when the tech is free. And they also suggest not to add oil by myself.
One thing is, in April, I noticed BMW 330 in China has oil consumption issue. So I checked my car's oil level, which is maximum at that time. And I find out that during the last care (2021 Dec), the dealer added 6L oil.
Since I drove this car daily, I would say the oil level dropped from max to min during 3000 miles...
Alright, the final update on this, the dealer and manufacturer asked me to do an oil consumption test. After around 1250 miles, the oil level shown on the screen dropped from max to 1/4 topper than the min. The Toyota manufacturer said the consumption is reasonable, which sounds ridiculous to me - Adding oil every 2000 miles for a one-year car, which has not been used for autocross, racing, or drifting is normal? btw, for the daily drive, I did not go fierce at all.
I gonna trade this car anyhow. Extremely disappointed with Toyota, farewell JDM.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Ricky-z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Hey everyone, I've done a search and didn't find anything; sorry if this has been covered already.

Are there any Canadian Supra 2021 MY owners out there who have had their oil consumption issues fixed by Toyota Canada?

I've had my car for just over a year now and have 22,000km on it, and it goes through so much oil (needs oil added every 1,600 - 2,000km). My local Toyota dealer has been nothing but nice and helpful but I'm going on eight months of waiting for a fix at this point and now I'm not getting any information or replies from them. Sure, all I need to do is keep adding oil and having the dealer do my oil changes but to say that I'm getting frustrated that my brand new vehicle isn't fixed yet would be an understatement. I know next to nothing about engines, but one of my concerns is that doing so much driving while having these issues might lead to damaged cylinders on top of the pistons and rings, but I won't pretend to know what I don't.

Is it only American cars that have been getting fixed, and is my delay down to me being in Canada? Or are there any Canadian Supra owners out there who have already had their oil issues fixed? Thanks for any help!
Trade-in suggested. The manufacturer will not consider this as an issue.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
You're both wrong honesty. This is a UDSM car, manufactured for the United States Domestic Market. Japanese (or German) cars have nothing to do with its "DM."
Oh yea, well YOU ARE WRONG MISTER! It's USDM, not UDSM.

Who feels like a big fat stupid guy now huh?

pitch-perfect-boom.gif

Lemmy

First Name
Emran
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
Hello folks , update for my situation,

Had low oil warning again at 11,500 miles , they said it was nothing again.
Had low oil warning again at 12,900 miles and this time I took it in (was going to go anyways for an oil change). They said when they went to do the oil change there was oil all under the car (?). They said they were gonna have a master tech look at it.
Today they called back and said that they put some oil with dye to try to find a leak, and it ended up being the transmission cooler (how does oil get there? Or is it just making things hot and oil is burning up?). Ordered part but have no say in when it will come in, and it’s under warranty.

has anyone heard of something like this?Just seemed odd to me cause I haven’t seen or heard of this being an issue

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Alright, the final update on this, the dealer and manufacturer asked me to do an oil consumption test. After around 1250 miles, the oil level shown on the screen dropped from max to 1/4 topper than the min. The Toyota manufacturer said the consumption is reasonable, which sounds ridiculous to me - Adding oil every 2000 miles for a one-year car, which has not been used for autocross, racing, or drifting is normal? btw, for the daily drive, I did not go fierce at all.
I gonna trade this car anyhow. Extremely disappointed with Toyota, farewell JDM.

2.jpg

1.jpg
Maybe already stated here in this thread but it is 90 pages long after all...

How Much Oil Should A Car Burn Between Oil Changes (carfluidpro.com)

"You can consider that your car is burning oil fast only if your car consumes 1 quart or more oil just within less than 1000 miles. If not, your car is in a normal state. You don’t need to worry much about this issue."

I've always added oil to my BMWs, Audis and a few others that I was told it was part of their design to keep the engine lubricated. The article also talks about cars that use way more than that. Which could be other issues. So, if I add a quart per 1000-2000 miles, I'm cool with it.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Final update on my 2021 Supra. Toyota is buying it back the car has been in the shop since 5/10/2022
Whoa that’s awful. Did they opt to replace pistons/rings?
Did they buy back at purchase price?

Ricky-z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Maybe already stated here in this thread but it is 90 pages long after all...

How Much Oil Should A Car Burn Between Oil Changes (carfluidpro.com)

"You can consider that your car is burning oil fast only if your car consumes 1 quart or more oil just within less than 1000 miles. If not, your car is in a normal state. You don’t need to worry much about this issue."

I've always added oil to my BMWs, Audis and a few others that I was told it was part of their design to keep the engine lubricated. The article also talks about cars that use way more than that. Which could be other issues. So, if I add a quart per 1000-2000 miles, I'm cool with it.
5-10 years old car and a quart per 1000-2000 miles -> fine
go tracking or autocross and a quart per 1000-2000 miles -> fine
service every 5000 miles and a quart per 1000-2000 miles -> fine
New car, just for daily, service every 7500 miles, and a quart per 1000-2000 miles is normal? seriously? How much BMW paid you to leave this message?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
5-10 years old car and a quart per 1000-2000 miles -> fine
go tracking or autocross and a quart per 1000-2000 miles -> fine
service every 5000 miles and a quart per 1000-2000 miles -> fine
New car, just for daily, service every 7500 miles, and a quart per 1000-2000 miles is normal? seriously? How much BMW paid you to leave this message?
Just as another input here, I agree with you. People stating a quart every 1k miles are insane. I’ve never had a car, over 25 years, consume oil like that unless something is wrong with the engine. I even currently own two vws.

I have a 2020 Supra and even after 17 track days, I have no noticeable Oil consumption between oil changes.

I had a 650whp Evo and also had no noticeable oil consumption until I had a burnt piston ring. Fixed that and no more consumption.
Sponsored