• Total voters

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
For the break in period I followed what was recommended by Toyota. Haven’t even launched it. There were a few spirited drives but nothing crazy.
Yeah that seems to be the majority who post they have to refill early. I wonder if the low loads and reduced RPM make the engine not seal up right. The oil is so thin from factory, I wonder if it's escaping.
I did a hard break-in and my level stayed at full. I also changed to a thicker 5W-30 to reduce the chance for blowby even more.
When I had an STI the same thing happened. People who took it easy during their break-in had oil issues and the ones who did a hard break-in had nothing.
Sponsored

Skull03

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Refraction Blue A91/ Series Blue BRZ
Yeah that seems to be the majority who post they have to refill early. I wonder if the low loads and reduced RPM make the engine not seal up right. The oil is so thin from factory, I wonder if it's escaping.
I did a hard break-in and my level stayed at full. I also changed to a thicker 5W-30 to reduce the chance for blowby even more.
When I had an STI the same thing happened. People who took it easy during their break-in had oil issues and the ones who did a hard break-in had nothing.
Right on. I do recall reading about acceptable oil types, especially 5W-30. Definitely plan on switching up once this issue is sorted out. Just glad I kept it stock haha.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Right on. I do recall reading about acceptable oil types, especially 5W-30. Definitely plan on switching up once this issue is sorted out. Just glad I kept it stock haha.
Yup me too! I'm perfectly happy with the stock power. When you get the car back, before you change the oil, go run it hard for a few hundred miles. Get it up to temp, then hard accelerations through the rev range and multiple gears. I like to use on ramps for that. Then cruise to the next exit, let everything cool a little, then take the off ramp and downshift early to use the engine to slow down. Then go back the other way on the interstate and do it again. I do that multiple times during a typical break-in cycle.
Then change the oil, and drive however you want, and see if the level stays at full after 1000/1500 miles.

Skull03

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Refraction Blue A91/ Series Blue BRZ
Yup me too! I'm perfectly happy with the stock power. When you get the car back, before you change the oil, go run it hard for a few hundred miles. Get it up to temp, then hard accelerations through the rev range and multiple gears. I like to use on ramps for that. Then cruise to the next exit, let everything cool a little, then take the off ramp and downshift early to use the engine to slow down. Then go back the other way on the interstate and do it again. I do that multiple times during a typical break-in cycle.
Then change the oil, and drive however you want, and see if the level stays at full after 1000/1500 miles.
Definitely going to ring it out for a bit. During break in, I kept it in manual and sport. Just under the rpm parameters. Tons of engine braking and gear changes. Interested to see what the tech says first of course lol.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Definitely going to ring it out for a bit. During break in, I kept it in manual and sport. Just under the rpm parameters. Tons of engine braking and gear changes. Interested to see what the tech says first of course lol.
Yeah let us know for sure.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Is this really a thing that people are having to add 1 liter of oil every 4-5 trips to the gas station? With almost 10k miles on the car I've never seen the level fall below "max" line.
If their trips are 300 miles long each, sure. Lol. BMW says 1 liter (quart) per 1500 miles. And engines tend to consume more during break-in.
I haven't had any issues either but my car hasn't done that many miles yet.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
Interesting. I didnt break mine in super easy but i wasnt really hard either. First 400 miles or so i drove it pretty easy with a few pulls (not WOT) and shifting at 5k. After around 700 miles i started pushing the car more. Have done a few shifts at right before redline. Checked oil levels at 1100 miles and its still in the green. Maybe i did it right and seated everything correctly?

I did hear that the first 20 miles are the most important for the car breakin process. My car already had 78 miles on it when i got it so maybe someone decided to have a little fun before i bought it. Who knows, i'll make an update when i hit 2000 miles and we'll see if anything breaks lol.

supradupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra (soon)
i did kinda a mix of hard driving and a couple hwy trips and my oil level is fine...i have around 800 miles so nothing crazy but i plan to switch to rotella t6 which is a 5-40 and it seems several bmw peeps are using rotella with good results.

i know one of the supra tuners on here uses shaffers 5-40 which is also a similar oil to the t6. but i am going to make it part of my driving routine to check the oil level before and after drives now just to play it safe... one note on my break in was once i left the dealership the day i picked up as soon as i got to the exit ramp entering the hwy i gave it a hard pull thru a few gears to help seat the rings (similar to how we break in my race motorcycle engines on the dyno by running it hard right off the go after a couple heat cycles when we would get our engines back from my builder)

Travelingsoldier

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 2.5RS, 2003 WRX, 2005 STI, 2012 WRX, 2017 Hobie Tandem Island
Every new car i have own, i drove it like i stole it. Zero engine problems from them. I think babysitting your engine doesn’t allow the proper sealing of packings, gaskets, and seals.

willyswillys

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RED 2021 3.0000000000000000000000000000000000000
Every new car i have own, i drove it like i stole it. Zero engine problems from them. I think babysitting your engine doesn’t allow the proper sealing of packings, gaskets, and seals.
same here bro, Ignored the break in period and have been redlining it every time I drive it, no problems for 1500+ miles.

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
I drove mine hard off the lot too. Got the refill message after 8500 miles, last change was at 3500.

Powaup

First Name
Clyde
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Youtube.com
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra
After doing back to back track days at Thunderhill over the past weekend I noticed a warning light on my way home; I was low on oil. stopped by a gas station and turns out 0W-20 is kind of hard to find so had to make a detour to the nearest Autozone.

After doing some research it's not uncommon for a new turbo car to burn a lot of oil on track and considering I just did a total of 10 session on track I'm not concerned BUT if you plan on tracking your car be sure to pack a quart of oil just in case your car needs it afterwards

IMG_1264.PNG

IMG_9FDF2744F240-1.jpeg

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
ouch, been seeing more and more on the FB groups with 21 models using oil. What was the mileage? I also have a buddy that works for the Toyota distributor and him and another coworker have needed to add 2 quarts in 5k miles.