• Total voters

Camus

First Name
Daniel.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra , 2021 M4 Base.
Just keep in mind, if you move to thicker oil, you may need to wait a bit more to get the oil to operative temperature.

Remember the S54 back in the day? Most people reported issues with the bearings, the oil was very thick 10w-60. It was first apparent in the E46 M3, and it really never went away. Then for the Z4 M Coupe it also happened, but not as much. The real issue I see is that people usually don't wait 15 minutes to reach oil operating temperature. There is no point in using thicker oil if it's not up to temperature, it won't lubricate as it should.

Even with my Supra, I try to get into operating temp before pushing it, call me old school waiting like a fool in the garage waiting for the car to warm, but better to have the oil working as it should.
Sponsored

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
Just keep in mind, if you move to thicker oil, you may need to wait a bit more to get the oil to operative temperature.

Remember the S54 back in the day? Most people reported issues with the bearings, the oil was very thick 10w-60. It was first apparent in the E46 M3, and it really never went away. Then for the Z4 M Coupe it also happened, but not as much. The real issue I see is that people usually don't wait 15 minutes to reach oil operating temperature. There is no point in using thicker oil if it's not up to temperature, it won't lubricate as it should.

Even with my Supra, I try to get into operating temp before pushing it, call me old school waiting like a fool in the garage waiting for the car to warm, but better to have the oil working as it should.
This is still a good idea. However, most manufactures (BMW included) recommend driving slowly to get up to speed rather than idling.

Not sure on the Supra, but on other BMWs I had/have, the lights on the tachometer increase to indicate what the maximum RPM is for the temp.

Also to note, BMW engines tend to warm up quickly but on cold days you still have to think about the transmission which typically warms up much slower than the engine does.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
Also to note, BMW engines tend to warm up quickly but on cold days you still have to think about the transmission which typically warms up much slower than the engine does.
If you haven’t seen this video, it goes over the dual-cooling design, which allows the engine to warm up very fast.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450

They warm up incredibly fast. I
Monitor oil temp on an app and the mk5 warms up at least 5-7 mins before my n54 did.

Still have an older m with the lights on the tach. Still a cool feature

JWC67896

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction, 2004 Silverado 2500HD, 2004 Scion Xb, 2019 Jeep MOAB
So after two days in the shop, my A91 now has a TAS officially started to explore the oil consumption. Sounds like they’ll be looking inside the engine tomorrow.
What is your mileage?

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
So...i hoping it's NOT my turn but...

2021 a91 edition....
2500 miles low oil message...

Tried to do proper break in...

I have 1 trackday on the car (2000 miles on the car when I took it to the track)...between 4-5hrs on track ( private day) out of the 8hr day....

I may chalk oil message up to the car being driven hard on track but definitely gonna keep an eye on it...

Come Monday (3-29-21) I'll be reaching out to Toyota just to have records....

Is this only affecting 2021 model year supras?

Steve

Spiguyver

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition Refraction Blue
So...i hoping it's NOT my turn but...

2021 a91 edition....
2500 miles low oil message...

Tried to do proper break in...

I have 1 trackday on the car (2000 miles on the car when I took it to the track)...between 4-5hrs on track ( private day) out of the 8hr day....

I may chalk oil message up to the car being driven hard on track but definitely gonna keep an eye on it...

Come Monday (3-29-21) I'll be reaching out to Toyota just to have records....

Is this only affecting 2021 model year supras?

Steve
Make sure you do get it logged with your dealer. Sounds like you’re in the same boat. Sorry man!

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
I'm definitely getting the dealer involved...seeing what you and others are going through is my incentive to get it logged asap...

Hope everything works out for you and they're able to get you squared away in a timely manner..

My car is 100% stock so obviously power adders aren't the problem...

Honest if I wanted to constantly add oil to a car I would kept my air cool 911...

Steve

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
I've had about a half dozen previous iterations of this engine in prior BMWs (N54, N55, and a 2017 440i with the B58). The N54s needed about a quart every 4-6k miles, pretty routine. I occasionally had to add to the N55. Never got the add-oil message with the prior B58. At 3k miles and 4 months on the Supra, no issues at all so far, and just minor carbon deposits on the exhaust tips, inline with what I got on the 440i.
My experience from my M240i is the same as this. I should say that I pound on that motor. If the opportunity to accelerate at WOT presents itself, I happily oblige. That’s part of the reason I was quite happy that Toyota put the B58 in the Supra: I know it can take some punishing.
Sponsored