Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
I remember reading that also. The question is did they just work on the b58 that is in the 2020 or did they work on both?
Clearly this was a lie. When I read that I knew they wouldn't be able to sign off on a BMW motor because they all have catastrophic defects. Not sure of a single modern BMW engine that would compare to a typical Toyota V6 in terms of reliability. The fact that Toyota just dropped in a B58 with no changes is proof that their claim was bullshit.

Camus

First Name
Daniel.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra , 2021 M4 Base.
If people want to put blinders, fine, it's their car, they can think that they want.

For people saying that this is normal, and BMW said so, etc. How come it doesn't happen on the 2020 B58? If your claim is true, then there would be a similar number of 2020 owners reporting the same issue, and that's not the case. You can go and read the entire thread, all 2021.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
If people want to put blinders, fine, it's their car, they can think that they want.

For people saying that this is normal, and BMW said so, etc. How come it doesn't happen on the 2020 B58? If your claim is true, then there would be a similar number of 2020 owners reporting the same issue, and that's not the case. You can go and read the entire thread, all 2021.
Like I said, a lot of them don't have a problem. Even though they think they do. Anything betond the stated 1 quart per 1500 miles, is normal. And most of them report well beyond that. Don't like it? Don't buy a car with a BMW engine.

Edit: the 21 engine is different, so naturally it has different results. It's a higher performance engine, so it consuming more only makes sense. I personally think it's the oil that's too thin. It's put in for EPA ratings etc. My 21 on 5W-30 hasn't lost a drop. So take that as you will.

MattPhantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
The dealership put in 1 qt of oil and now the oil level reads max ( was just above min). They said the oil level meter is based on how hard you drive your car but not sure I believe that. If that was the case why does it say Oil Level: Max/Min instead of Oil Change: Not now/Soon? Anyways, we will see what happens over the next few 100 miles.

SUPRA90

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR SUPRA A91
Not sure whoā€™s with me but Iā€™m not allowing adding a little oil here and there to stress me out...as long as thatā€™s all it is. This car has so many positives that out weigh this one known BMW issue.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The dealership put in 1 qt of oil and now the oil level reads max ( was just above min). They said the oil level meter is based on how hard you drive your car but not sure I believe that. If that was the case why does it say Oil Level: Max/Min instead of Oil Change: Not now/Soon? Anyways, we will see what happens over the next few 100 miles.
That's for the econoboxes like a civic or a Corolla.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not sure whoā€™s with me but Iā€™m not allowing adding a little oil here and there to stress me out...as long as thatā€™s all it is. This car has so many positives that out weigh this one known BMW issue.
I'm with you! It's a performance vehicle, so extra little things are needed.

MattPhantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I don't think anyone is concerned about adding a little extra oil. People are concerned because there is already at least one instance of someone's cylinder head being messed up. As to calling the meter "Oil Level" I'd assume that engineers would name it appropriately.

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
I just hit 1500 miles and will be putting liqui Moly 5w30 in mine this weekend. The watery 20 weight just doesn't do it for me. A few buddies across the pond use the Moly in their supras and swear by it. I'm willing to forgo a miniscule amount of fuel economy for better protection and hopefully slower consumption.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I just hit 1500 miles and will be putting liqui Moly 5w30 in mine this weekend. The watery 20 weight just doesn't do it for me. A few buddies across the pond use the Moly in their supras and swear by it. I'm willing to forgo a miniscule amount of fuel economy for better protection and hopefully slower consumption.
Do it, you wonā€™t regret it. The engine is running quieter and smother now that I switched to the 5w-30. That 0w-20 has no business being in the Supra!

-RJM
Sponsored