Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Other people are just switching to 5W-30 and it’s solving the issue. Personally I’m not a fan of replacing the whole engine which devalue the car extremely.
Changing to thicker oil is just masking the issues. I did that back in the days on my old beat up Honda.. lol It works issue is your warranty will be gone...
Sponsored

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
the problem is that the issue possibly devalues the entire model year with or without a replacement engine.

5w-30 may be a fix, but doesn’t mean that there isn’t a problem.
I got buddies that won't buy a 2021 right now bc of the low oil level issues. It maybe not every 2021 but they aren't willing to take the chance to be the unlucky ones...

MattPhantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
It's really strange some people drive it hard and the oil level remains high and others do the same and pop a low level light.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
This is a genuine issue. A quart in less than 1000 miles is major problems... Unlike about 75% of the people saying they also have an issue (for shit like a quart every 3000 miles).

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
Out of potentially thousands of 21s sold, there have been something like 25ish folks between here and Facebook who have genuine issues thus far. Toyota is doing their due diligence and working through each case accordingly.

As for the masking comments, do whatever you want with your cars. This is a discussion forum and people are sharing what they are doing with their own rides. I don't have oil issues thus far and yes, I'm absolutely going to 5w30. 20 weight is shit and absolutely looks like water in this southern heat. Certainly do what you guys feel is right as its your money/time etc. I appreciate folks who share ideas and thoughts, even if they align with my own 100% of the time.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Out of potentially thousands of 21s sold, there have been something like 25ish folks between here and Facebook who have genuine issues thus far. Toyota is doing their due diligence and working through each case accordingly.

As for the masking comments, do whatever you want with your cars. This is a discussion forum and people are sharing what they are doing with their own rides. I don't have oil issues thus far and yes, I'm absolutely going to 5w30. 20 weight is shit and absolutely looks like water in this southern heat. Certainly do what you guys feel is right as its your money/time etc. I appreciate folks who share ideas and thoughts, even if they align with my own 100% of the time.
Check out this link with a good article on engine oils and the B58 engine. Even they recommend the 5w-30 as a better oil for our engines.

Link:
B58 5w-30 Better Oil Option

-RJM

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
Check out this link with a good article on engine oils and the B58 engine. Even they recommend the 5w-30 as a better oil for our engines.

Link:
B58 5w-30 Better Oil Option

-RJM
Great read. Thanks for the link. I'm definitely feeling good about going with a bmw-ll04 oil.

Supra CRNA

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR, 2006 Mitsu Lancer Evo 9 RS
In due time we will all figure out what is really going on with this “oil burning” issue. So many comments from “experts” on this forum. People need to just relax. Maybe it will come in a form of a TSB, recall, or just swept under the rug, it is anyones guess really.

My father worked in Toyota QC for 30 years and participated in various integral 1JZ and 2JZ quality improvement projects. There are things that go on internally that no one ever hears about and things that Toyota never wants to get out to the public (NDA’s he calls them). A good example my pops pointed out is the quality and strength of metals used in the brackets (throttle cables) in the early 2JZ’s were terrible and over time became weak, rattled and were very noisy. During the production of the 1JZ and 2JZ motors, the supply line would divide the higher quality motors from the average quality motors, the higher quality stuff would go to Lexus and the lower quality to Toyota. Not all motors are created equal my friends, just remember that.

My point being, if there is an issue, and I think there is, Toyota has probably already figured it out and are improving the engine design (with BMW of course) as we speak for the 2022 model. Lets just say their QC and failure analysis labs are next level.

Last edited:

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA

There is way more than 25, I can assure you. You forget many people don't have any social media or isnt even on this forum. Some people will encounter the issues later as they don't drive enough. (garage queen) And you are correct, mask all you want bc its your Supra and do whatever you want with it. But on a brand new car, you shouldn't have to put thicker oil to prevent the motor from burning it.......

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
There is way more than 25, I can assure you. You forget many people don't have any social media or isnt even on this forum. Some people will encounter the issues later as they don't drive enough. (garage queen) And you are correct, mask all you want bc its your Supra and do whatever you want with it. But on a brand new car, you shouldn't have to put thicker oil to prevent the motor from burning it.......
I'm not masking anything. I'm running the appropriate weight for this motor and not a weight forced on us by the EPA standards for fuel economy. I stated thus far there have been 25ish folks with genuine issues between here and Facebook posts. There are also hundreds or potentially thousands without any issues as well. My point goes back to Toyota doing their due diligence and if there is a larger problem we will probably hear about it soon enough. Currently there just isn't enough evidence to confirm it's a larger problem affecting every 21 produced.

Nocturnal LE

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Those using 5w-30 - would you drain and replace with 0w20 if you had a warranty issue? Would Toyota be able to tell?

I’ve heard some buying the 0w20 oil and keeping it (or returning it) so they have the receipt to show Toyota. I know that doesn’t sound honest, but Toyota refusing a warranty claim because you are using an appropriate 5w30 doesn’t sound honest either...