Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

velocity2325

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Honda Accord, 2009 Scion tC, 2014 Tundra, 2021 A91 Supra
Last week after seeing this thread, I decided to do a measurement oil test. With 2737 miles, the minimum oil warning came up so I went to dealership last Saturday to fill it up and was told to drop the car today for follow inspection which required me to leave it over night. During the whole "break in period", I didnt baby it but I didn't floor it. Disappointed that this is happening but hopefully Toyota finds a solution for all our headaches.

IMG_1978.jpg
IMG_1976.jpg
Sponsored

BimYotaZupra

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z4
My father worked in Toyota QC for 30 years and participated in various integral 1JZ and 2JZ quality improvement projects. There are things that go on internally that no one ever hears about and things that Toyota never wants to get out to the public (NDAā€™s he calls them). A good example my pops pointed out is the quality and strength of metals used in the brackets (throttle cables) in the early 2JZā€™s were terrible and over time became weak, rattled and were very noisy. During the production of the 1JZ and 2JZ motors, the supply line would divide the higher quality motors from the average quality motors, the higher quality stuff would go to Lexus and the lower quality to Toyota. Not all motors are created equal my friends, just remember that.

My point being, if there is an issue, and I think there is, Toyota has probably already figured it out and are improving the engine design (with BMW of course) as we speak for the 2022 model. Lets just say their QC and failure analysis labs are next level.
Maybe the same thing happened here BMW give Toyota the B58s that were made on Monday and Friday :p

Foxhound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
One thing Iā€™m still confused about...when we get the low oil warning asking us to add a Quart...does that mean our engine has burned through exactly one quart of oil? Or is the notification asking us to add one quart of oil to bring it back above the minimum threshold?

I was reading somewhere that low oil warning meant thereā€™s about ~3 quarts of oil left in the engine.

No definitive answer and it appears that everyone on this forum is assuming that if you get the low oil warning, you have only burned through one quart (which I donā€™t believe is correct).

I got the low oil warning right before 5k miles and Iā€™m pretty certainy engine has burned through more than one quart, as noted by my exhaust that is COATED in oil.

925350F5-7F3D-40CB-BA7D-5995B51C6858.jpeg
E4394508-DDE8-4CF4-A2B3-C7F2EEB40881.jpeg

One more thing to add...was talking to my Toyota Corporate rep (were like best friends now from how much Iā€™ve called her complaining about this car) and she mentioned that there is likely going to be a TSB around this oil consumption issue.

Supertenor

First Name
Supertenor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2.0 2021
15 years ago you wouldn't even notice an issue for engines that are reaching the low warning at 4500 miles. Most cars replace oil at a 5000 mile interval so being down 1-1.5 quarts wouldn't even be on the radar.
while I respect your knowledge, I have to say that itā€™s not 15 years ago. In this new generation, the expectation is to utilize all of the new technology available today. Iā€™m less than 5k worth of miles and expensive synthetic oil states 10k... letā€™s hold these corporations to be men of their word just like theyā€™d expect us to be men of our word when it comes to working these jobs and being on time and knowledgeable and showing excellent customer service.
I will not devalue myself bc itā€™s what others would want... Iā€™m holding them accountable and either u can support the process or u could do other things with your life.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
One thing Iā€™m still confused about...when we get the low oil warning asking us to add a Quart...does that mean our engine has burned through exactly one quart of oil? Or is the notification asking us to add one quart of oil to bring it back above the minimum threshold?

I was reading somewhere that low oil warning meant thereā€™s about ~3 quarts of oil left in the engine.

No definitive answer and it appears that everyone on this forum is assuming that if you get the low oil warning, you have only burned through one quart (which I donā€™t believe is correct).

I got the low oil warning right before 5k miles and Iā€™m pretty certainy engine has burned through more than one quart, as noted by my exhaust that is COATED in oil.

One more thing to add...was talking to my Toyota Corporate rep (were like best friends now from how much Iā€™ve called her complaining about this car) and she mentioned that there is likely going to be a TSB around this oil consumption issue.
Is all that sand stuck to your rear diffuser because of the oil?

-RJM

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Those using 5w-30 - would you drain and replace with 0w20 if you had a warranty issue? Would Toyota be able to tell?

Iā€™ve heard some buying the 0w20 oil and keeping it (or returning it) so they have the receipt to show Toyota. I know that doesnā€™t sound honest, but Toyota refusing a warranty claim because you are using an appropriate 5w30 doesnā€™t sound honest either...
Some car manufactures will do an oil analysis for engine and transmission failures.

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra

Have you owned other turbocharged vehicles? I only ask because it's been my experience most of em end up with dirty exhaust tips mostly from what I learned was excess carbon. I had an Audi and a Golf whose exhaust tips would be covered within 100 miles of driving after a good clean. My Supra has actually been cleaner than those cars...but hey we all know what VW group does :rolleyes:.

Your photos make the exhaust tips look fairly dry and not wet, so I'm thinking that's probably not oil. But again I'm not the one there and I cannot physically inspect your exhaust.

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA

Something definitely ain't right with that exhaust and engine health. Poor fuel/air ratio; blue smoke? I feel for those new A91 owners.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
High oil consumption was a common problem on the (non-turbo) N52, especially the B25 variant. Design shortcomings are well documented online. But with the generous official oil consumption tolerances listed by BMW, itā€™s a challenge to claim against the warranty.
Those generous tolerances probably are for covering BMW's ass. Other brands probably do the same.

Narwahl

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Gti

that just looks like normal carbon build up from a direct injected turbo charged car. Youā€™ll know itā€™s burning oil from blue smoke. Very unlikely oil makes it through the exhaust without burning up unless you have a catastrophic failure and pour all your oil out at once.

NewGuy

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 Premium,18 X5 M
I got my car back last night from Toyota. I dropped it off at 7am and did not get it back until 4pm that day. My friend is a mechanic at one of that Toyota dealerships and decided to drive to his dealership to have my car inspected. The drive was about 45mins with morning rush hour traffic. Upon arriving, I had the service tech run an oil check; here is the funny thing: the measurement had gone up to half full. The reason I scheduled the service was because the previous reading I had stated the vehicle was approaching minimum levels. I drove approximately 1 hour, was on leveled area when I did the reading.

The service tech took the vehicle and told me he would call me back later to pick up. When I picked up my vehicle I was given the following information:

1. Engine was tested for excessive oil burning/leaks: None were found
2. The mechanic (not my friend since he's not a Supra certified mechanic) informed the service tech it is common for the engine to consume 1 quart per 1k miles. He recommended I check my engine oil level at around every 1k miles. Best time would be after fueling
3. Engine was completely drained of oil and refilled with new oil. Filter was not changed
4. The service tech did explain that Toyota currently has an open investigation on this issue. He provided me with paperwork. He stated that there appears to be no issue at this time but it is documented so that if an issue arises; I can state that I previously brought it in for service for potential excessive oil consumption.

I hope this information helps some of you. I guess the best thing about this is that Toyota is aware of the issue and might recall the 21's if more people keep coming forward.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
I did mine. Didn't see anything unusual. Did a Blackstone report, all was normal. I love how easy the Supra is to service.
I used to do them too but I am VERY skeptical about oil test now. I would trust them for contamination or viscosity but am doubtful for particulates? There was a great article in the Porsche Club magazine about a guy who's 911 developed engine oil consumption issues. The guy sent in oil for testing regularly before and after the oil consumption developed. The results always were normal. The test did not indicate anything out of the ordinary. The engine finally failed and was torn down. There was very obvious evidence of catastrophic bore scoring. Lots of metal-metal wear from piston and rings. The oil test did detect or give warning for any of the worn metal components.

Last edited:

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
I got buddies that won't buy a 2021 right now bc of the low oil level issues. It maybe not every 2021 but they aren't willing to take the chance to be the unlucky ones...
I am in that boat. Original plan was to buy a 2021. I want to buy a Supra but decided to wait and see what becomes of the oil consumption. I want to see what Toyota/BMW has to say. I want to know if it's really an issue. I would like to know how widespread it really is. What are the production dates with problems or which VINs have issue? MaybeToyota/BMW will issue a Recall or Service Bulletin soon. Hopefully problems are not carried over into the 2022s.

AutoX A91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Shelby Cobra GT350, 2019 Ford F150
I just got back from the dealership. My car burned 2 quarts in the first 4500 miles. I brought it in after adding the second quart to get it on file. They told me to bring it back when it was low. I had them do the oil change then. 200 miles later I burned another 3/4 of a quart. They opened a case and topped it off. They are saying the cars that got replacement engines and bought back were to investigate what was wrong. As of now toyota is waiting on bmw to give them an answer before doing anymore engine replacements. I was told to watch my oil level and that I didn't have to come back every time it was low. I would guess we will see a recall at some point. It would be a shame to lose my A91 in Refraction Blue. I guess I will wait on buying the wing until this is cleared up.

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
I just got back from the dealership. My car burned 2 quarts in the first 4500 miles. I brought it in after adding the second quart to get it on file. They told me to bring it back when it was low. I had them do the oil change then. 200 miles later I burned another 3/4 of a quart. They opened a case and topped it off. They are saying the cars that got replacement engines and bought back were to investigate what was wrong. As of now toyota is waiting on bmw to give them an answer before doing anymore engine replacements. I was told to watch my oil level and that I didn't have to come back every time it was low. I would guess we will see a recall at some point. It would be a shame to lose my A91 in Refraction Blue. I guess I will wait on buying the wing until this is cleared up.
Any track days? Power mods?

I also have an a91 edition and have added 2qts in 3000 miles...
I do have 2 track days on the car though...maybe that's my issue?

I was supposed to take the car to the dealership about 2 weeks ago for the first warning but my daughter got covid so I had to cancel the appointment...
Maybe I should get it in there...

Steve
Sponsored