• Total voters

KellyJoe

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Changed oil at 1200+ and had to add a qt. @ 6800... I was relatively easy on it during break-in but not exactly by the book... From 1200ish to 6800 I was most definitely not easy on it and wasn't surprised that I had to add a qt of the watery oil at that point. Bumping 13K now and I expect to have to add a qt around 15K so I'll do changes every 5K and probably never see the warning. 3/20 build date on my '21...
Sponsored

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
Mine was at the tick before MIN, added about 1/3 of a quart...now it reads full. There's no way the MAX and MIN reading span an entire quart.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
5K miles on my 21, 1st oil change at 1200 miles with the 0w20 oem oil. I did a hard engine break-in, lots of pulls, lots of heat cycles, constantly varying rpm. 2 drag strip days and 2 track days so far and my car did not lost a single drop of oil so far. I really think the smooth engine break-in is the culprit for those who have oil consumption problem with the 21.
you very well could be right. If the engines arent seeing sufficient load to seat the piston rings correctly, youll get more burn off until they do.

my guess is its either ring gap from being not seated; or a bad batch of rings; or a bad batch of connecting rod bearings.

anyone who has been around bmw’s for more than 7 minutes knows this would not be the first time theyve had connecting rod bearing QC issues. And since toyota cant make an engine like this anymore, they (and we) will really have to wait for BMW to find the issue and a fix.

ive said it previously, but if i had high oil consumption id pull the plugs and install a catch. If there is evidence there of oil consumption, try to give it some load and engine brake to get the rings to seat.

if the plugs and catch are both clear, then my guess is its another rod bearing issue and youre fucked.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
you very well could be right. If the engines arent seeing sufficient load to seat the piston rings correctly, youll get more burn off until they do.

my guess is its either ring gap from being not seated; or a bad batch of rings; or a bad batch of connecting rod bearings.

anyone who has been around bmw’s for more than 7 minutes knows this would not be the first time theyve had connecting rod bearing QC issues. And since toyota cant make an engine like this anymore, they (and we) will really have to wait for BMW to find the issue and a fix.

ive said it previously, but if i had high oil consumption id pull the plugs and install a catch. If there is evidence there of oil consumption, try to give it some load and engine brake to get the rings to seat.

if the plugs and catch are both clear, then my guess is its another rod bearing issue and youre fucked.

Catch cans don't catch anything on these particular b58s

The couple engines that have been taken back and compression tested by Toyota point to rings.

I am 2021 and burning some oil now. I don't know if issue or because I track 90% of the use of the car. have to add quart after 3-4 full track days. But that is hard running at higher than stock boost and I honestly don't know what would be normal or fair.

Skull03

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Refraction Blue A91/ Series Blue BRZ
Haven’t been here in a while...2021 refraction Blue Supra. Bought the car in November. Got my first warning light @ 1,500 miles. I’ve had low oil notifications every 600-700 miles or so. Have needed to add 1 quart of oil each time. Car driven 90% in manual and sport mode. Car has been to the dealer and a TAS case was created. After the third visit and leak down test, they ordered me a new engine.

Stated that the issue was “faulty” piston rings. Caused vertical scoring in the cylinders. Dropped the car off for replacement at 7K or so. Waiting for the vehicle to be finished. Should have it back next week. Hopefully no further issues or might have to consider it a lemon. Obviously everything has been covered under warranty.

Tripjammer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium 3.0
Yeah n some people are just natural d bags(tsar looking a you)

Officially got my second low oil warning tonight...
Less than 700 miles between quarts...

Anyone saying this is normal don't know what they're talking about...

Really gotta find time to get to the dealer?

Steve
Bro I hear you it is real and it’s a defect! Get to that dealer when you get the low oil light and start the documentation process I am just waiting for my third low oil light so I can go in! Only 3850 miles here. I read the screen wrong and I got 4700 miles to go to the first oil change but I hope they change my oil when I go in after the next low oil light. Still love this car but it burns the oil quick!

Tripjammer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium 3.0
Haven’t been here in a while...2021 refraction Blue Supra. Bought the car in November. Got my first warning light @ 1,500 miles. I’ve had low oil notifications every 600-700 miles or so. Have needed to add 1 quart of oil each time. Car driven 90% in manual and sport mode. Car has been to the dealer and a TAS case was created. After the third visit and leak down test, they ordered me a new engine.

Stated that the issue was “faulty” piston rings. Caused vertical scoring in the cylinders. Dropped the car off for replacement at 7K or so. Waiting for the vehicle to be finished. Should have it back next week. Hopefully no further issues or might have to consider it a lemon. Obviously everything has been covered under warranty.
How long did it take for them to get the new engine?

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Bro I hear you it is real and it’s a defect! Get to that dealer when you get the low oil light and start the documentation process I am just waiting for my third low oil light so I can go in! Only 3850 miles here. I read the screen wrong and I got 4700 miles to go to the first oil change but I hope they change my oil when I go in after the next low oil light. Still love this car but it burns the oil quick!
I have an appointment this coming Thursday....
Apparently the will test for oil consumption?
Leak down maybe?
I'll post back when I know something...

Steve

Skull03

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Refraction Blue A91/ Series Blue BRZ
How long did it take for them to get the new engine?
They had the new engine within a week of ordering it, yet took another two weeks to source all necessary hardware such as gaskets and special calibration tools. My vehicle was the first defective example my dealer encountered.

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
Has anyone documented manufacturing dates? Working at a manufacturing plant, Toyota (tmmi we build highlanders, sienna and sequoia) dates play a huge role. We get defective parts from suppliers daily and they get checked and logged within dates. That I believe is the only real way to see if it's a defective issue, or a design issue. Just my. 02

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
It’s been a long and frustrating process but I feel they’re doing what’s necessary to rectify the issue. I just want to drive my car lol. I’ll be sure to keep you all posted.
cant wait to hear.
Sponsored