Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

mr2t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
mr2
Bought a tunable 21 last week. Serviced after break in and at 4k the oil is right above min. I don't mind a new engine as long as I keep the ecu.

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
Bought a tunable 21 last week. Serviced after break in and at 4k the oil is right above min. I don't mind a new engine as long as I keep the ecu.
Are you still on the oil that came from the factory? I'm currently at the 3/4 quart loss. 3,300miles, and still on factory oil.

mr2t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
mr2
Are you still on the oil that came from the factory? I'm currently at the 3/4 quart loss. 3,300miles, and still on factory oil.
I really don't know. I figured it was changed during service. I always change oil in my sports cars every 5k but I don't want an engine with significant oil burning or possible cylinder damage as someone reported.

Roscoe72

First Name
Roscoe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium
I experienced the low oil warning at about 3500. It was just after the second track day. Added one quart. Checked plugs, pics attached. I wasn't monitoring before but it's right in the middle between low and full now. I'll continue to monitor.

20210504_164801.jpg

20210504_163910.jpg

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
I experienced the low oil warning at about 3500. It was just after the second track day. Added one quart. Checked plugs and they look good in my opinion. I wasn't monitoring before but it's right in the middle between low and full now. I'll continue to monitor.
this looks to me like this cylinder is showing evidence of ring bypass. Note the white deposits and the black color to the plug. For sure get a second opinion by someone in person, but to me over pics that looks like Text book burning oil. If i pulled a plug that looked like this i would immediately check compression and leak down:

6B813856-A84C-4266-80D8-BBE5B38746E2.png

this is what i want my plugs to look like. Note the even light brown color around the entire crown and electrode. If there is glazing that isnt showing in the pic, that would indicate cyl temps getting too high under load and you need to add a touch of fuel at high load to wash cool the cyl wall:

2D8924DC-A59A-4DD5-952F-E60BA1D4B6A2.png

hope that helps.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
if you drive the car as it has been advertised by Toyota to be driven, you will burn some and thats normal. Its just important to keep an eye on it. if youve been boosting, that would (to me) seem like normal consumption of a thing lightweight oil. Its these low engine lights every 1,000 miles that strike me as troubling

Roscoe72

First Name
Roscoe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium
this looks to me like this cylinder is showing evidence of ring bypass. Note the white deposits and the black color to the plug. For sure get a second opinion by someone in person, but to me over pics that looks like Text book burning oil. If i pulled a plug that looked like this i would immediately check compression and leak down:

6B813856-A84C-4266-80D8-BBE5B38746E2.png

this is what i want my plugs to look like. Note the even light brown color around the entire crown and electrode. If there is glazing that isnt showing in the pic, that would indicate cyl temps getting too high under load and you need to add a touch of fuel at high load to wash cool the cyl wall:

2D8924DC-A59A-4DD5-952F-E60BA1D4B6A2.png

hope that helps.
Luck of draw I provided this picture and right after posting I saw this same picture and tried to edit my post but you were on quick to reply. I pulled this plug again to compare in the same light as my other pics and agree. I now seeing signs on 2 of the 5 I pulled. Thanks for the response, much appreciated.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
Luck of draw I provided this picture and right after posting I saw this same picture and tried to edit my post but you were on quick to reply. I pulled this plug again to compare in the same light as my other pics and agree. I now seeing signs on 2 of the 5 I pulled. Thanks for the response, much appreciated.
Gotcha.

it could be nothing. I think we are all trying to assess what normal actually is. I just mean to say that change is very worthy of further investigation.

its not uncommon to see a little black on a boosted cars plug. But what i generally like to see is some of that brown coming through, though. That tells me that the oil burn is most likely intermittent and consistent with consumption under load, but burning off during normal cycles. When it is all black with the white metal deposits from the metals in the oil, with no browning, and combined with high oil consumption; that generally alerts me to investigate the integrity of the rings/pistons first, then the head, then the rod bearings.

good luck.

Last edited:

ravenwest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Welp. Came home today and checked the oil. I'm at 2104 miles, on original oil with a build date of 01/21. Bad news lol especially cause I was gonna make a drive tomorrow. Should I make a dealer appointment tomorrow or wait for the low oil warning?

IMG_6192.JPG

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Welp. Came home today and checked the oil. I'm at 2104 miles, on original oil with a build date of 01/21. Bad news lol especially cause I was gonna make a drive tomorrow. Should I make a dealer appointment tomorrow or wait for the low oil warning?
check it again at another spot - just for kicks - and i'm not sure the dealer will do anything until the warning goes off. in between min and max is totally fine.

Foxhound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal

IMG_6192.JPG
sorry you are going through this BS, but I gotta admit, it’s really reassuring to know this is also impacting later builds as well, not just 6/20 or 7/20 builds
Sponsored