• Total voters

ravenwest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
CE3115B8-0ECA-41FE-8584-5B565988C207.jpeg

6861682A-8FCB-45FE-964A-C262DCCC32B7.jpeg

Engine swap tech sheet. Engine Assy, part is the complete motor. Was told 20K for the engine alone. Not a cheap endeavor to perform on all the affected vehicles. So far no issues, runs like new, as it should have in the first place. I’ll keep everyone posted.
How long did the repair take?

Lol, thank god I was hesitating on these car parts I was going to buy this week. Now I can wait and see how this all plays out first.
Sponsored

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I do too. Going to hit 2000 miles on my drive home and will check oil again. Mine hasnt been eating any oil.
So 2 other 01/21 people are having issues at 2k miles. I am not. Broke in hard. Maybe this is going to come down to a break in issue? I check mine after the same drive home and in the same parking spot everytime.

20210507_191536.jpg

Skull03

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Refraction Blue A91/ Series Blue BRZ
How long did the repair take?

Lol, thank god I was hesitating on these car parts I was going to buy this week. Now I can wait and see how this all plays out first.
That was my issue too, was set to start modding right before this started. Repair took around 2 months. A lot of it was waiting for non reusable parts that were on back order.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
Just added 3/4 of a quart after 1000 miles since my last top up. Just going to enjoy the car until the 2022 Tundra comes out and trade it in for that. If I have to keep throwing in a quart every 1000 miles, not the end of the world.

A90dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
I have an a90 and I was running meth, tuned through ecutek , pure turbo 800, mst intake, charge pipe and downpipe. Long story short I had a misfire and put all my parts back and took it to the dealer. Engine got replaced. Breaking in new motor and now I get a message at 500 miles that I need to add a quart of oil which I did.

Has anyone had this issue while breaking in the engine or replacement engine?

Taking it back to the dealer to check.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I have an a90 and I was running meth, tuned through ecutek , pure turbo 800, mst intake, charge pipe and downpipe. Long story short I had a misfire and put all my parts back and took it to the dealer. Engine got replaced. Breaking in new motor and now I get a message at 500 miles that I need to add a quart of oil which I did.

Has anyone had this issue while breaking in the engine or replacement engine?

Taking it back to the dealer to check.
Toyota needs to get a handle on this quick. There is enough data out there to perform a DOE. Its either going to be operator error, oil type, a design flaw or a combination of the variables.

-RJM

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
Toyota needs to get a handle on this quick. There is enough data out there to perform a DOE. Its either going to be operator error, oil type, a design flaw or a combination of the variables.

-RJM
It's gotta be a design flaw to be affecting virtually every model using a B58TU01. Not sure how BMW hasn't released any real updates or info on this since B58s have had this issue since at least 2018! They must know this is going on and why haven't they done anything??

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
It's gotta be a design flaw to be affecting virtually every model using a B58TU01. Not sure how BMW hasn't released any real updates or info on this since B58s have had this issue since at least 2018! They must know this is going on and why haven't they done anything??
The new updated b58 with lower compression/more boost and revised piston head is still a work in progress. It is still unclear what is causing the loss of oil and where its going.

Borescopes of pistons reveal scoring is this right from what I've read in a previous post?

I gather a revision will be made mid this year to address the issue by bmw. Toyota unusually is very very quiet about releasing info to the public.

My hunch is they weren't expecting bmw to screw them as they have with a revised engine for MY21 Z4 and supra and for the b58 to be losing oil.

Supra engines are supposed to be bullet proof.
BMW rang and said hold my beer....

Welcome to post covid 2021.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
The new updated b58 with lower compression/more boost and revised piston head is still a work in progress. It is still unclear what is causing the loss of oil and where its going.

Borescopes of pistons reveal scoring is this right from what I've read in a previous post?

I gather a revision will be made mid this year to address the issue by bmw. Toyota unusually is very very quiet about releasing info to the public.

My hunch is they weren't expecting bmw to screw them as they have with a revised engine for MY21 Z4 and supra and for the b58 to be losing oil.

Supra engines are supposed to be bullet proof.
BMW rang and said hold my beer....

Welcome to post covid 2021.
Yes vertical scoring, I was reading somewhere in bimmer post as well as here having the issue. Could it also have been a machining issue? Minute differences of 1/1000th of an inch matter I'm this case. Or is it an Inherent design flaw?

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
Yes vertical scoring, I was reading somewhere in bimmer post as well as here having the issue. Could it also have been a machining issue? Minute differences of 1/1000th of an inch matter I'm this case. Or is it an Inherent design flaw?
Well if there is scoring, then the revised piston head could be problematic?? (just a hunch).

Perhaps the piston head is expanding at increased boost pressure/ temperature and causing the scoring??

I guess we will never know but what we do know is that this newer b58 hasn't been properly tested like the older a90 b58 series.

Check out this porsche scoring link :
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/976070-what-causes-cylinder-scoring.html
Sponsored