Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I have an a90 and I was running meth, tuned through ecutek , pure turbo 800, mst intake, charge pipe and downpipe. Long story short I had a misfire and put all my parts back and took it to the dealer. Engine got replaced. Breaking in new motor and now I get a message at 500 miles that I need to add a quart of oil which I did.

Taking it back to the dealer to check.

Do you think you got the newly revised b58 motor with the oil consumption issue? Good news is that you make more hp now!!!

Maybe they should swap in the 2020 Pistons and Rings? Lol ?

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
I have an a90 and I was running meth, tuned through ecutek , pure turbo 800, mst intake, charge pipe and downpipe. Long story short I had a misfire and put all my parts back and took it to the dealer. Engine got replaced. Breaking in new motor and now I get a message at 500 miles that I need to add a quart of oil which I did.

Has anyone had this issue while breaking in the engine or replacement engine?

Taking it back to the dealer to check.
massive detonation events will sometimes show as misfire events. Given that your motor was replaced, my guess is your “””””tuner”””” clocked out the knock sensors and you cracked a piston ringland as a result of engine knock.

@Rocksandblues did i miss anything?

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
Well if there is scoring, then the revised piston head could be problematic?? (just a hunch).

Perhaps the piston head is expanding at increased boost pressure/ temperature and causing the scoring??

I guess we will never know but what we do know is that this newer b58 hasn't been properly tested like the older a90 b58 series.

Check out this porsche scoring link :
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/976070-what-causes-cylinder-scoring.html
vertical cylinderwall scoring is exactly one of the things resulting from bad piston ring gap i discussed in my video. Minor cases of gap result in oil consumption; bad cases include wall scoring as the piston chatters along the cyl wall.

@Rocksandblues can speak to more of the specifics better than I can.

Powaup

First Name
Clyde
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Youtube.com
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra
So want to update this thread as I just got back from the dealership today, Stevens Creek Toyota. after inspecting my car they noticed no oil leak from the car so they told me to just hold on 6 months-ish until Toyota does a proper recall for the issue. If the oil levels are low just drop ina quart again... Guessing Toyota isn't just ready to give a bunch of new engines if they can "fix" the problem. With all the supply chain issues and what not I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't get fixed until the very end of the year.

Annoying that I had to take my catted downpipe off and put the stock one on for this and then I'm gonna have to go back to stock when the recall is announced.

Things could always be worse tho, at least I still have the cr

(I had to drop in a quart at 3k miles and again at 4k so far)

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
So want to update this thread as I just got back from the dealership today, Stevens Creek Toyota. after inspecting my car they noticed no oil leak from the car so they told me to just hold on 6 months-ish until Toyota does a proper recall for the issue. If the oil levels are low just drop ina quart again... Guessing Toyota isn't just ready to give a bunch of new engines if they can "fix" the problem. With all the supply chain issues and what not I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't get fixed until the very end of the year.

Annoying that I had to take my catted downpipe off and put the stock one on for this and then I'm gonna have to go back to stock when the recall is announced.

Things could always be worse tho, at least I still have the cr

(I had to drop in a quart at 3k miles and again at 4k so far)
Or you can just put some thicker oil in it.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
Probably true but if vertical scoring is occurring in many cases, you're basically creating a potentially really wide channel for oil to seep thru. Oil viscosity will not remedy this in that case I believe, as oil will still be able to pass thru the vertical channel created by improper scoring. Those who are are consuming oil seem to be consuming it at an alarming rate.
Side note,
imo Piston chatter and the like would be a big fail for Toyota. I can already see the memes coming...
Their claims X ray scanned every part and double checked for quality my ass! Toyota must have had their eyes shut on this TUO1 engine and did not properly test it before dumping it into the 21.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
When I changed the oil at 1200 miles my first thought was: how can oil that has the same viscosity as water protect a high performance engine??

It literally sounded like I was draining the radiator coolant when it hit the catch pan.

People are saying that it masks the problem by going to a thicker oil. But if it doesn't consume oil isn’t that considered a fix? I guess time will tell as we put more miles on these engines.

- RJM

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
Thicker oil is not a solution for improper clearances and tolerances. You can also create elevated pressure as you increase oil thickness and engine load.

there are times a thicker oil is beneficial, but that doesnt excuse the mnfg from gapping rings correctly.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Thicker oil is not a solution for improper clearances and tolerances. You can also create elevated pressure as you increase oil thickness and engine load.

there are times a thicker oil is beneficial, but that doesnt excuse the mnfg from gapping rings correctly.
I agree with you but many others on this forums run thicker oil and doesn’t burn oil anymore. Bandaid and temporary fix? Lol

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
They must know this is going on and why haven't they done anything??
.....Because folks are STILL plunking down the 50+K for the Supra 3.0. Stop buying the car, things will get fixed. Won't help the folks that already own one.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
WOW!! Didn't see that coming......LOL(Axix23 "like")

Anyway, I want a Supra B-A-D so post was not meant to down anyone who has already purchased the 2021 3.0 but this issue does have me slamming on the brakes. I even did the test drive and have played hardball with the dealer but i have totally backed off the 3.0 for this reason.

To some, it may not be a "real" Supra but the 2.0 is looking better at this point. Will wait to see if BMW/Toyota determine a solution for this before making the call.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
I agree with you but many others on this forums run thicker oil and doesn’t burn oil anymore. Bandaid and temporary fix? Lol
100% on the money!!!!!

Once the car is purchased, it is no longer a BMW/Toyota issue per se, but instead, becomes a "customer/dealer" problem. BMW/Toyota may currently be "in the lab" working on a fix but in the meantime, the headache transfers to the buyer who then has to be a "headache" to the dealer to find a resolution. The dealer then has to "bang' on BMW/Toyota for guidance but the dealer has a monthly "quota" to make and 99.9% of Toyota dealers make their money on Camrys, Corollas, and Highlanders (just check out any Toyota commercial, no mention of Supra).

They will bang on BMW/Toyota "in the background" but those units must move, especially now (COVID, chip shortage, etc.). Current owners can only "fight" by following dealer recommendations to the letter( as slow as that process will take) to include leaving the cars "stock" until they have resolution because the warranty is the only power the consumer has unless the lemon law comes into play and every state has their own "lemon law requirements". If the car is "financed or leased", DON'T stop the payments "just because" as this will be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Didn't have my car for over a month due to a warranty engine replacement but kept the payments going on-time because I didn't want to ruin my credit. BMW/Toyota is not in the business of reimbursing those payments.

Closing this out, I am kind of in the same vicinity just because I had my heart set on getting one.
Sponsored