Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
100% on the money!!!!!

Once the car is purchased, it is no longer a BMW/Toyota issue per se, but instead, becomes a "customer/dealer" problem. BMW/Toyota may currently be "in the lab" working on a fix but in the meantime, the headache transfers to the buyer who then has to be a "headache" to the dealer to find a resolution. The dealer then has to "bang' on BMW/Toyota for guidance but the dealer has a monthly "quota" to make and 99.9% of Toyota dealers make their money on Camrys, Corollas, and Highlanders (just check out any Toyota commercial, no mention of Supra).

They will bang on BMW/Toyota "in the background" but those units must move, especially now (COVID, chip shortage, etc.). Current owners can only "fight" by following dealer recommendations to the letter( as slow as that process will take) to include leaving the cars "stock" until they have resolution because the warranty is the only power the consumer has unless the lemon law comes into play and every state has their own "lemon law requirements". If the car is "financed or leased", DON'T stop the payments "just because" as this will be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Didn't have my car for over a month due to a warranty engine replacement but kept the payments going on-time because I didn't want to ruin my credit. BMW/Toyota is not in the business of reimbursing those payments.

Closing this out, I am kind of in the same vicinity just because I had my heart set on getting one.
Unless you can still find a brand new 2020 or just wait on the 2022 model. Lol
Sponsored

Skull03

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Refraction Blue A91/ Series Blue BRZ
So want to update this thread as I just got back from the dealership today, Stevens Creek Toyota. after inspecting my car they noticed no oil leak from the car so they told me to just hold on 6 months-ish until Toyota does a proper recall for the issue. If the oil levels are low just drop ina quart again... Guessing Toyota isn't just ready to give a bunch of new engines if they can "fix" the problem. With all the supply chain issues and what not I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't get fixed until the very end of the year.

Annoying that I had to take my catted downpipe off and put the stock one on for this and then I'm gonna have to go back to stock when the recall is announced.

Things could always be worse tho, at least I still have the cr

(I had to drop in a quart at 3k miles and again at 4k so far)
Man, sorry you had to do the tear down on the mods. Interested to see what the recall entails.

ravenwest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Lmao so I took the car into Toyota today and waited for 2 hours only to be told that a case has been opened up with Toyota and to come back in 1300 miles.

Ok. Cool.

Well I had mistakenly assumed that the Toyota tech filled up the oil and that they were gonna measure it over the course of 1300 miles but guess what awaits me when I get home? Guess I’ll be calling them tomorrow.

87C6DAB6-5D42-4C90-826D-6FBA85F6659D.jpeg

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Lmao so I took the car into Toyota today and waited for 2 hours only to be told that a case has been opened up with Toyota and to come back in 1300 miles.

Ok. Cool.

Well I had mistakenly assumed that the Toyota tech filled up the oil and that they were gonna measure it over the course of 1300 miles but guess what awaits me when I get home? Guess I’ll be calling them tomorrow.

87C6DAB6-5D42-4C90-826D-6FBA85F6659D.jpeg
Well, if you drive it with the oil level that low for 1300 miles, you WILL DEFINITELY need a new motor when you go back to the dealership. Lol

ravenwest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Well, if you drive it with the oil level that low for 1300 miles, you WILL DEFINITELY need a new motor when you go back to the dealership. Lol
Lmao I brought that up when I initially scheduled today’s appointment and the service advisor basically shrugged it off and said “I mean that’s what the warranty is for right.”

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Lmao I brought that up when I initially scheduled today’s appointment and the service advisor basically shrugged it off and said “I mean that’s what the warranty is for right.”
I hate Dealerships

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
sorta...the warranty book also states that the consumer has to maintain the car so if there's warnings like these that get ignored long enough that becomes negligence and voids applicable warranty haha.

days ago i checked my level it was at down 1/2 quart (middle between min/max). I took it to an autox/skidpad event...checked it there after some runs - showed full. Came back home and checked it twice (two days apart) and its sitting at 1/4 under max.

so maybe you'll have. a min reading for a day or two and the following days it'll be fine? haha.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
vertical cylinderwall scoring is exactly one of the things resulting from bad piston ring gap i discussed in my video. Minor cases of gap result in oil consumption; bad cases include wall scoring as the piston chatters along the cyl wall.

@Rocksandblues can speak to more of the specifics better than I can.

I don't have anything to add. Little confused as to why you repeatedly tag my name in your posts?

But yes, if it makes you feel better the engines that are being scoped and replaced are vertical scoring that point to ring issues.

BMW_YOTA

First Name
joey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra GR
What are the recommendations for thicker oil?