Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I'll bust my laser level out n check...haha..jk..

So if the sensor is misreading and oil is added, isn't to much oil just as bad as low oil?

Steve
The oil level sensor is definitely sensitive to car being plumb. Another factor is oil temperature. When I check cold its down 10mm.

I just changed the oil and the iDrive system shows at max line. But when I check with my EcuTek app itā€™s only at 96mm not 100mm.

-RJM

CDB9D819-53BC-4315-A132-BB40E68C7E67.jpeg

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I am just about to hit 2400 miles on the factory oil. Told myself I would check its level in my normal spot, slightly downhill, then flip the car 180Ā° around to see if it changed the level indication. It did not. Still full. I think oil temp is the big thing here. If its not all the way up to temp, meaning a good 10 mile drive, its not going to read right.

What I really wonder is since I am about to change to 5w30, is that going to give me a false reading since the ecu doesnt know its got a thicker oil? Why cant these cars just be normal and have a dipstick!?

Ivan27

First Name
Constantine
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2018 4Runner Limited
I am just about to hit 2400 miles on the factory oil. Told myself I would check its level in my normal spot, slightly downhill, then flip the car 180Ā° around to see if it changed the level indication. It did not. Still full. I think oil temp is the big thing here. If its not all the way up to temp, meaning a good 10 mile drive, its not going to read right.

What I really wonder is since I am about to change to 5w30, is that going to give me a false reading since the ecu doesnt know its got a thicker oil? Why cant these cars just be normal and have a dipstick!?
Yeah, it also says to check after 30 minutes of driving, to make sure the oil is warm.

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
My low oil light came on a few days ago, and I went for a top up at the dealer. I had a quart in the rear compartment where the flat tire canister sits. I just removed it, so I could have more space for the spare quart. Anyways, the dealer only put in 3/4 of a quart, and the indicator went to full again. I've put about 200miles on the car, and it still reads full. I don't think it's very accurate.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
My low oil light came on a few days ago, and I went for a top up at the dealer. I had a quart in the rear compartment where the flat tire canister sits. I just removed it, so I could have more space for the spare quart. Anyways, the dealer only put in 3/4 of a quart, and the indicator went to full again. I've put about 200miles on the car, and it still reads full. I don't think it's very accurate.
They should have just put a dipstick like 99.9% of the cars. Not sure why they use a sensor for this over a dipstick.

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Hopefully Toyota can get it figured out...regardless of the issue...

Steve
At Toyota today...
Telling me I need to have an appointment for them to document any issues...what BS...

Anyways they ran Diagnostics and topped me up...

The service manager and the supra tech both told me Toyota knows it's an issue...
Dealership can't do anything without corporate permission...

I have a feeling this is gonna be a long road...but I'll be as patient as need be...

Being self employed this takes a lot of hours out of my day...think I can bill for my time??...

Steve

Edit...
The tech asked me not to wash the muffler tips(which have never had oil on them) and to not drive the car in sport mode?
Ok..I get rpms are higher but the higher rpms causing the car to drink oil like water?

I'll do what he asked because I understand it part of the troubleshooting process...

Can I just say...this car in normal mode takes alot of throttle to get going...

Last edited:

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m pretty confident the MKV Supra doesnā€™t burn oil, and that the issue is related to the BMW oil level sensor. This sensor issue is across the board on all BMW vehicles, and the MKV Supra is no exception. Toyota spent numerous hours testing the MKV Supra pre-production, you guys think they would brush off an oil consumption issue?

Just my two centsā€¦

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Iā€™m pretty confident the MKV Supra doesnā€™t burn oil, and that the issue is related to the BMW oil level sensor. This sensor issue is across the board on all BMW vehicles, and the MKV Supra is no exception. Toyota spent numerous hours testing the MKV Supra pre-production, you guys think they would brush off an oil consumption issue?

Just my two centsā€¦
So I have 3 extra quarts of oil in my engine?

Steve

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA

Just my two centsā€¦
Itā€™s a bmw motor. Not much they can do . Lol

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra

Just my two centsā€¦
The scrutiny of parts and reliability happened for the original motor. That's well documented. Where did they have the time or money to do the same years of scrutiny and testing for the modified 2021+ engine? It would have had to be done concurrently with the original 2020 design and would have been touted by Toyota by now, if that was the case.

Last edited:

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46

Just my two centsā€¦
The oil sensor may not be great at measuring the precise drop from max to min level, but it has so far worked fine in all my BMWs in flagging when a top up is required.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
Update. Car is at 3,100 miles now. Tuned by CES motorsports with a stage 2 tune with a Catless DP. Car had 2,700 miles on it when it was tuned. Car is still on original break in oil, no change ever done. Did an oil check today, still in the green but the bar is 50% of the way down the side of the screen. This car has been driven very hard its entire life lol.

Does anyone know exactly how much oil the car is low on when it reaches that final line at the bottom, when it tells you to add oil?
Sponsored