• Total voters

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a bmw motor. Not much they can do . Lol
Regardless who made it, my brothers car had this issue….then it didn’t. Nothing got “fixed” and nothing changed, except for oil brand. Are we saying that the factory oil is designed to burn? Probably not. If this was consistently happening over and over, id think otherwise. However, it did it once on my brothers car and never again? Literally the only thing changed was oil brand and parking the car back in instead of front in the garage. Btw, my brothers car is now tuned and he drives the piss out of it! Just sayin’…
Sponsored

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Update. Car is at 3,100 miles now. Tuned by CES motorsports with a stage 2 tune with a Catless DP. Car had 2,700 miles on it when it was tuned. Car is still on original break in oil, no change ever done. Did an oil check today, still in the green but the bar is 50% of the way down the side of the screen. This car has been driven very hard its entire life lol.

Does anyone know exactly how much oil the car is low on when it reaches that final line at the bottom, when it tells you to add oil?
Its supposedly 1 quart from bottom line to max line. Some people have reported dealership adding only 3/4 of a quart and it gets back to max. Maybe start there.

We have the same mileage but with different results. I dropped the factory oil at 1200 miles 6 quarts came out. It was reading at max when changed.

I’m running 5w-30 now and just dropped oil again at 3,000 miles to run a Blackstone report. A little over 6 quarts came out and it was still reading at max line.

For the record I think my gas pedal might collapse soon from putting it to the floor every chance I get. No pansy ass driving with me. ?

-RJM

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Update. Car is at 3,100 miles now. Tuned by CES motorsports with a stage 2 tune with a Catless DP. Car had 2,700 miles on it when it was tuned. Car is still on original break in oil, no change ever done. Did an oil check today, still in the green but the bar is 50% of the way down the side of the screen. This car has been driven very hard its entire life lol.

Does anyone know exactly how much oil the car is low on when it reaches that final line at the bottom, when it tells you to add oil?
Do you drive in sport mode manual?
Just curious..

TIA
Steve

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
Its supposedly 1 quart from bottom line to max line. Some people have reported dealership adding only 3/4 of a quart and it gets back to max. Maybe start there.

We have the same mileage but with different results. I dropped the factory oil at 1200 miles 6 quarts came out. It was reading at max when changed.

I’m running 5w-30 now and just dropped oil again at 3,000 miles to run a Blackstone report. A little over 6 quarts came out and it was still reading at max line.

For the record I think my gas pedal might collapse soon from putting it to the floor every chance I get. No pansy ass driving with me. ?

-RJM
Same man. This car doesn't know what normal driving is. It's always under heavy load.

Boblay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra, F82 M4
Just hit 3,100 miles and got the oil level notification. Did 1,200 mile service at a Toyota dealership. I’m thinking of just changing oil and switching to 5w-30, or would it be best to just contact the dealership?

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just hit 3,100 miles and got the oil level notification. Did 1,200 mile service at a Toyota dealership. I’m thinking of just changing oil and switching to 5w-30, or would it be best to just contact the dealership?
Take it to the dealer for documenting. You will need to take it there for every low oil message going forward until it gets resolved.

Are you still stock?

-RJM

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Is anyone aware of a B58 TU1 oil consumption case with 5w-30 or 0w-30?

-RJM

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
At Toyota today...
Telling me I need to have an appointment for them to document any issues...what BS...

Anyways they ran Diagnostics and topped me up...

The service manager and the supra tech both told me Toyota knows it's an issue...
Dealership can't do anything without corporate permission...

I have a feeling this is gonna be a long road...but I'll be as patient as need be...

Being self employed this takes a lot of hours out of my day...think I can bill for my time??...

Steve

Edit...
The tech asked me not to wash the muffler tips(which have never had oil on them) and to not drive the car in sport mode?
Ok..I get rpms are higher but the higher rpms causing the car to drink oil like water?

I'll do what he asked because I understand it part of the troubleshooting process...

So the dealership called today..
Asked that I bring my car back in so they can put locks on certain things on the car, such as the oil cap?
Last week when I was there the tech had said every Diagnostics check gets set to corporate for analysis..
They must have seen something they didn't like for them to call me to bring the car back..

Anybody with some insight about this process?

Steve

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Can I just say...this car in normal mode takes alot of throttle to get going...
that is to hit those MPG numbers.....takes some RPM's to move enough exhaust to spin up the turbo.....2.0 is similar

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium

I got to the bottom line, the warning came on, added a quart, and it was to the top line. This was a little over 2500 miles on the original oil. Totally normal, especially for break-in.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
As I noted above, I've only had the warning once just over 2500 miles, which I consider normal during break-in. I know I'm in the minority, but I'd consider this normal (every 2500 - 5000 miles) for any M or "M-lite" motor. My M3 did this and I put 120k miles on it with no other issues. Much like the Supra, I drove the piss out of that thing. Just remember these aren't Camry or Tacoma engines. I've decided to do a change to 5w30 before a track event coming up in early July and I will let folks know if the "problem" persists.

What 5w30 are people running for track use?

EDIT: Was just doing some reading on this and all of the benefits for 0w20 seem to be cold climate and environmental, and 5w30 is noted as reducing oil consumption and better for high temperature (like track) use: https://www.garagechief.com/0w20-vs-5w30-explained/. I really think Toyota decided to use 0w20 to meet or better environmental regulations and it's causing problems for their customers. I'll see how much blow-by I drain out is my AOS in a couple of weeks before the track day.

Boblay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra, F82 M4
Just put topped off with 3/4 quarts of the w20 and oil level back to normal. Highly considering switching to 5w30 after seeing how watery this oil actually is

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
As I noted above, I've only had the warning once just over 2500 miles, which I consider normal during break-in. I know I'm in the minority, but I'd consider this normal (every 2500 - 5000 miles) for any M or "M-lite" motor. My M3 did this and I put 120k miles on it with no other issues.
Out of curiosity, what engine oil weight did you run in the M3? I recall they go pretty heavy, interesting to note you still observed some oil consumption.

I really think Toyota decided to use 0w20 to meet or better environmental regulations and it's causing problems for their customers. I'll see how much blow-by I drain out is my AOS in a couple of weeks before the track day.
Hope you can share your observations on the blow by. From what I read, the B58 has significant improvements versus the N54/54.

I think the low viscosity engine oil has other benefits, depending on car usage. Def agree with your oil choice for track, but if the rest of us are doing relatively short trips and occasional “spirited street driving”, shouldn’t the 0W-20 oil should work well? I haven’t observed my engine oil temps ever exceeding 111 deg C, so I don’t worry about the HTHS.
Sponsored