Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
As I noted above, I've only had the warning once just over 2500 miles, which I consider normal during break-in. I know I'm in the minority, but I'd consider this normal (every 2500 - 5000 miles) for any M or "M-lite" motor. My M3 did this and I put 120k miles on it with no other issues. Much like the Supra, I drove the piss out of that thing. Just remember these aren't Camry or Tacoma engines. I've decided to do a change to 5w30 before a track event coming up in early July and I will let folks know if the "problem" persists.

What 5w30 are people running for track use?

EDIT: Was just doing some reading on this and all of the benefits for 0w20 seem to be cold climate and environmental, and 5w30 is noted as reducing oil consumption and better for high temperature (like track) use: https://www.garagechief.com/0w20-vs-5w30-explained/. I really think Toyota decided to use 0w20 to meet or better environmental regulations and it's causing problems for their customers. I'll see how much blow-by I drain out is my AOS in a couple of weeks before the track day.
Same with my brothers car….happened once and never again. Whether its a break in period or what I believe to be something with the way the sensor is reading the oil levels and the CAN system translating it to low oil, the issue has never happened again. When my brothers car had this issue happen the one time, he topped it off with a quart, and at the following oil change, he had quite a bit of “extra” oil that drained out. Just telling you what we experienced.
Sponsored

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Its supposedly 1 quart from bottom line to max line. Some people have reported dealership adding only 3/4 of a quart and it gets back to max. Maybe start there.

We have the same mileage but with different results. I dropped the factory oil at 1200 miles 6 quarts came out. It was reading at max when changed.

I’m running 5w-30 now and just dropped oil again at 3,000 miles to run a Blackstone report. A little over 6 quarts came out and it was still reading at max line.

For the record I think my gas pedal might collapse soon from putting it to the floor every chance I get. No pansy ass driving with me. ?

-RJM
I broke my pedal; had to replace it. No pansy ass driving here either.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/sh...t-happens-kids-when-you-take-on-a-cts-v.8534/

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Hopefully Toyota can get it figured out...regardless of the issue...

Steve

Dealer ask that I bring my car back to them today...they are trying to do a oil consumption test...

They taped up the oil cap and the wiring to the ecu...not really sure what this is for but apparently Toyota corp is requiring these steps..

Another thing I have noticed is my exhaust tips are covered in black soot...
To me that's a rich condition?
Not sure if burnt oil would cause this?
Another thing not making sense is I have a borla with carbon tips..the original borla tips turned brown almost burnt looking...borla replaced those under warranty n now the new tips are now exactly the same as the original set...
Could this be caused by burning oil?
No other people I know of with a borla exhaust has had this issue...

They also asked that I don't drive in sport mode and to not wash the exhaust tips..this is for the next 1000-1200 miles...

We'll see
Steve

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
Dealer ask that I bring my car back to them today...they are trying to do a oil consumption test...

They taped up the oil cap and the wiring to the ecu...not really sure what this is for but apparently Toyota corp is requiring these steps..

Another thing I have noticed is my exhaust tips are covered in black soot...
To me that's a rich condition?
Not sure if burnt oil would cause this?
Another thing not making sense is I have a borla with carbon tips..the original borla tips turned brown almost burnt looking...borla replaced those under warranty n now the new tips are now exactly the same as the original set...
Could this be caused by burning oil?
No other people I know of with a borla exhaust has had this issue...

They also asked that I don't drive in sport mode and to not wash the exhaust tips..this is for the next 1000-1200 miles...

We'll see
Steve
Yea man that doesn't sound right. I have a bit of exhaust soot on my exhaust tips but I also haven't cleaned them in probably 2000 miles. The soot on my exhaust tips is dry, like dusty, not oily or watery feeling. If your tips are oily or watery and it's bad enough to ruin exhaust tips, somethings wrong!

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yea man that doesn't sound right. I have a bit of exhaust soot on my exhaust tips but I also haven't cleaned them in probably 2000 miles. The soot on my exhaust tips is dry, like dusty, not oily or watery feeling. If your tips are oily or watery and it's bad enough to ruin exhaust tips, somethings wrong!
Isn’t excessive dry carbon on exhaust tips normal on direct-injected cars?

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Isn’t excessive dry carbon on exhaust tips normal on direct-injected cars?
Yes and no. What he's describing sounds as if it's so bad it's tarnishing his exhaust tips. He's had to replace the actual tips because of it. Usually exhaust deposits can just be cleaned off with some elbow grease or a polisher, but if it's actually etching or tarnishing the tips themselves then that's something else... At least I've never seen this happen.

Last edited:

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Yes and no. What he's describing sounds as if it's so bad it's tarnishing his exhaust tips. He's had to replace the actual tips because of it. Usually exhaust deposits can just be cleaned off with some elbow grease or a polisher, but if it's actually etching or tarnishing the tips themselves then that's something else... At least I've never seen this happen.
Not a great pic but you can see how the carbon in the tips have turned brown..also the copper color metal use to be black..
This pic is the original Borla...
The replacement exhaust looks just as bad if not worse ...
Don't see alot of soot because I keep my car pretty clean..

Steve

Attachments

ravenwest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Okay so an update, I haven't had the chance to have the dealer take a deeper look at the car since they seem to be unable to get me a loaner within a reasonable time. However, when I measured my oil today, it said it was at max rather than the right above the minimum level it was reporting 300-400 miles ago.

So maybe it might be an electronic oil measurement issue like others in this thread have said.

It's impossible to be sure on my own though since I can't physically check the oil myself.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Okay so an update, I haven't had the chance to have the dealer take a deeper look at the car since they seem to be unable to get me a loaner within a reasonable time. However, when I measured my oil today, it said it was at max rather than the right above the minimum level it was reporting 300-400 miles ago.

So maybe it might be an electronic oil measurement issue like others in this thread have said.

It's impossible to be sure on my own though since I can't physically check the oil myself.
BMW’s have had this issue for years. We’ve talked to numerous BMW techs, and they all said the same thing….that the sensor is inconsistent with oil level readings.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
BMW’s have had this issue for years. We’ve talked to numerous BMW techs, and they all said the same thing….that the sensor is inconsistent with oil level readings.
LOL... well, thank God that's not the only way for me or the DME to make sure there's enough oil to prevent catastrophic failures! Now where was that dipstick... oh, wait... :doh:

You'd think that might be something they'd want to source a reliable sensor for (or at least better software to manage it)... but nooooo.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a great pic but you can see how the carbon in the tips have turned brown..also the copper color metal use to be black..
This pic is the original Borla...
The replacement exhaust looks just as bad if not worse ...
Don't see alot of soot because I keep my car pretty clean..

Steve
So this is after cleaning it?! Have you done any Google searches to see if maybe it's just an issue with those tips? Man if it's tarnishing the tips that's bad.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
So this is after cleaning it?! Have you done any Google searches to see if maybe it's just an issue with those tips? Man if it's tarnishing the tips that's bad.
I thought colors of that type on exhaust tips was an indication of fuel additives in the gas.

-RJM

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I thought colors of that type on exhaust tips was an indication of fuel additives in the gas.

-RJM
I mean that could be possible. It's just odd that he said the car also has an excessive amount of exhaust soot on the tips all the time.
Sponsored