• Total voters

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
Based on what's in the manual, and what BMW has said in the past about this "issue" regarding their M and "M-lite" cars, I don't believe they'll see 1L of oil consumption in 2500 miles (especially during burn-in) as a problem. I don't, personally, though I know I'm in the minority on this forum regarding that opinion. Different story for those having a faster rate of consumption - I've seen some report 1L every 500 or 700 miles. That's definitely not normal and we just have to trust that Toyota is working it, will identify an issue, and implement a fix for people who are affected. I'm personally much more concerned about Toyota doing an engine swap on the car than I am with 1L in 2500m of oil consumption.
Especially with the 22 comin out, really toyota help us 21 owners out here.
Sponsored

TeaTango

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Absolute Zero '21 Supra 3.0 premium
Got the supra in at the dealer today and they are checking into the oil consumption. They actually brought it up first because I brought it in at 5400 miles for an oil change and not at 10k, and the guy mentioned that there were some issues on some Supras that he was going to have the car checked out for.

For reference, I had to add a quart at 3600 miles, and a second quart at 5100. I decided to bring it in to the dealer for one of those 2 free oil changes, and have them check in on it while it was there. The car is stock other than an MST intake and inlet pipe but that was installed after the first low oil notification around 4300 miles.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
I recommend everyone do a Blackstone oil analysis at every oil change. For just $30 it can offer a wealth of data about your engine. The analysis can be used for early detection on catastrophic failure. Or just peace of mind that everything is OK.

Here is my report for 5w-30 oil after 1800 miles on a 91 octane tune. The oil sample was taken at 3000 total miles. No excessive oil consumption to date.

-RJM

F8EC5D29-5FB5-4A5A-A2C5-D1D18AE57034.jpeg
+1 for UOA. I've been using Blackstone for a while but thinking of switching to SpeedDiagnostix. Blackstone is good to track UOA but they base it upon universal averages and not car specific applications.

https://lnengineering.com/products/speediagnostix-used-oil-analysis.html?limit=5&mode=list&p=2

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
+1 for UOA. I've been using Blackstone for a while but thinking of switching to SpeedDiagnostix. Blackstone is good to track UOA but they base it upon universal averages and not car specific applications.

https://lnengineering.com/products/speediagnostix-used-oil-analysis.html?limit=5&mode=list&p=2
Interesting - I thought I was a universal average for your engine type ("universal" across makes and models that use that engine) and not across all motor oil they analyze full stop.

TWC

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Supra, 2003 Mustang Cobra (terminator), 1998 BMW M3
Iā€™m an unfortunate addition to this thread. My car was doing ok up until I added a big turbo set up at 1800 miles. Now 300 miles later Iā€™m 1/4 away from the minimum mark. Going to add some more oil and keep monitoring as time goes on. Fortunately I donā€™t daily drive it and do plan on building the motor one day so itā€™s not the end of the world.

My car is an tuneable 2021

EDIT: my car is not burning oil. My tuner told me he added oil after he lost some out the ccv on dyno (before catch can put on) and that it was full when I left shop. Ever since I made this post my oil level has not dropped. Thatā€™s a few hundred miles and racing, it seems like more oil was never added, so disregard my post.

Last edited:

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Iā€™m an unfortunate addition to this thread. My car was doing ok up until I added a big turbo set up at 1800 miles. Now 300 miles later Iā€™m 1/4 away from the minimum mark. Going to add some more oil and keep monitoring as time goes on. Fortunately I donā€™t daily drive it and do plan on building the motor one day so itā€™s not the end of the world.

what oil are you using? If your running a big turbo setup, you probably need to run a 0w30 or 0w40.....

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
I've finally come to terms with the oil consumption. I'm not as bothered as I once was. It is what it is. A Porsche Cayman was my second choice, and I guess a lot of people are having oil consumption issues with the Porsche 2.0, 2.5, and 4.0's. They were all consuming on average about the same as the Supra's. I'd rather have oil consumption issues with a Supra than own a Nissan 400z that doesn't drink a drop! :)

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I've finally come to terms with the oil consumption. I'm not as bothered as I once was. It is what it is. A Porsche Cayman was my second choice, and I guess a lot of people are having oil consumption issues with the Porsche 2.0, 2.5, and 4.0's. They were all consuming on average about the same as the Supra's. I'd rather have oil consumption issues with a Supra than own a Nissan 400z that doesn't drink a drop! :)
Indeed - my friend with a 2020 GT4 (not part of the engine recall) is consuming a quart every 2000 miles (it's his daily and casual HPDE car). Porsche states it's also very normal and they're using 0w40.

Markysupra

First Name
Marky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0

In my opinion I dont think the big turbo is the catalyst here. My consumption issues started at 25XX miles (stock), so your not far off mileage wise. Lets hope these motors are not oil guzzlers, only time will tell.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
So. If an engine uses a quart every thousand or 1500 miles but lasts for 100000 plus is that an issue? Just wondering. I donā€™t think I would be comfortable with it but Iā€™ve never had an oil burner and so far so good on my 21.

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
I got my break-in oil changed at 750 miles and switched to 5w-30 Liqui Moly. The car is now at 2000 miles and I will check the oil level later today. Hopefully no issues because it seems most issues occur around the 2000-3000 mile mark.

Iā€™ve been following this thread and seen people having consumption issues but havenā€™t seen much about what is causing it. Anyone have an idea of what it could be? Piston rings not seated well?