Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Quick update on mine. Currently at 4500 miles total on car, 2000 miles on 5w-30. Car burnt 0 oil from 0-2500 miles on the stock water oil. About 1000 miles in on the 5w-30, it started bouncing between half and full. 1500-2000 miles in, it has been stuck at half. I am honestly thinking I filled it right to the border line of half/full when I did the oil change and its finally burnt that tiny bit of oil off to now keep it at the halfway point. Planning on running this oil for 5000 miles so still got plenty of time to see if its burning oil or was just at the tipping point. I will measure the oil level in a pan when the time comes to drain it.
Sensor issue? Worth a change 0f it to see?

You weren't burning much on 0w-20 it appears. If its in spec on oil use prior to 15000km or 10k miles your motor is probably good in terms of oil use.

The M2 and M235i were very consistent from new to trade/selling both in terms of oil use. Minimal between changes. My 440i Xdrive has been the same. That motor is the same as the 2020 Supra 3.0.
Sponsored

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
My oil dipped down to the 1/2 quart low, and I did the same thing again. I just added exactly 200ml (1/5 quart) using my wife's measuring cup from the kitchen cupboard :) and I t showed full again. The electronic dipstick is not accurate.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Sensor issue? Worth a change 0f it to see?

You weren't burning much on 0w-20 it appears. If its in spec on oil use prior to 15000km or 10k miles your motor is probably good in terms of oil use.

The M2 and M235i were very consistent from new to trade/selling both in terms of oil use. Minimal between changes. My 440i Xdrive has been the same. That motor is the same as the 2020 Supra 3.0.
I am going to ride it out a bit longer before coming to any conclusions. Honestly, if it burns a quart every 5000 miles, even every 2500, it wont bother me one bit. But as far as I am concerned right now, its burning maybe, big maybe, 1/4 quart every 2500 miles. Or it could be the same as @Heavy Foot case, only 1/5 of a quart. We will only know for sure once I drain the oil on the next change and measure it out.

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
I found my oil consumption to be inconsistent. One oil change resulted in a quart in 3k miles. Not a number I'm worried about in the slightest. After a second change, oil consumption was a quart in 1500 miles. Now, latest oil change I'm 900 miles in and do not see any change to my oil level. Point is, I don't think the check oil screen is the most accurate and my oil could have started at different levels.

I am now using BimmerLink to read raw oil sensor data. So hopefully I can get a more accurate read on if consumption is inconsistent or it's just a fill level thing. My Supra is now post recall as well, but I don't think that should matter.

So far it seems like the whole oil consumption issue is being exaggerated.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
My oil dipped down to the 1/2 quart low, and I did the same thing again. I just added exactly 200ml (1/5 quart) using my wife's measuring cup from the kitchen cupboard :) and I t showed full again. The electronic dipstick is not accurate.
Possibly change the sensor associated and see if its one thats mis-calibrated. A thread existed for that. Overall this is not an oil burning diesel type unit lol

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
I was at about a quart every 1500 miles from 1000->6800 miles. Just ticked over 2000 miles since my last adding oil... Sensor says full. Also, I went from seeing smoke out my exhaust nearly every stop to no smoke in the same time period. Also I do my oil reading in the same spot under similar conditions every time.

Observed this change from miles 6800->8900. Strange.

Reactions: Aki

Aki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I was at about a quart every 1500 miles from 1000->6800 miles. Just ticked over 2000 miles since my last adding oil... Sensor says full. Also, I went from seeing smoke out my exhaust nearly every stop to no smoke in the same time period. Also I do my oil reading in the same spot under similar conditions every time.

Observed this change from miles 6800->8900. Strange.
I also have to put a quart every 1500 miles Iā€™m at around 6500 miles hopefully this is like a break in time idk. I also get the smoke when stopping

SupraLeggera

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
2021 3.0 that's had consumption issues after the first few thousands miles.

• Took the car into the dealership after the add oil light came on again instead of adding a quart, dealer came back and said it was normal.

Minimum oil light came on 2 more times, started getting white smoke at stops.

• Took the car into the dealership the dealership the second time, dealership filled it up with oil.

Minimum oil light, and below minimum light came on before 1,500 miles.

• Took the car into the dealership the third time, dealership states Toyota instructed them to replace the piston rings. Dealership gave the car back, and said they had to wait to hear back from Toyota about when the piston rings would be available (estimated 2-3 weeks).
I specifically asked if the car is "out of service" for this 2-3 week period, because driving a car with bad piston rings sounds like a safety and drivability and value concern. Does anyone have suggestions or advice on what to do in this situation?

Outside the scope of this thread -- the battery has died on me which required a replacement battery, and the rear differential is leaking.
:( Sorry to hear your issues

Is the car stock? And other than white smoke, are you experiencing anything odd about the performance of the car? (Rough idle, weird sounds, loss of performance etc)

If it's modded, I'd also consider a blown turbo and oil burning as a cause of white smoke. If it's stock, given the 2021 upgrade was new Pistons, bad piston rings sounds like the culprit.

(Non mechanic, not advice)

Have Toyota not offered to give you a loaner? Someone in an earlier thread said some cars had scored cylinders. I would rather be safe than sorry, not risking more damage to the engine and getting into a warranty back and fourth with Toyota while waiting for those replacement piston rings.

SupraLeggera

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
I wouldn't risk driving it as is, personally don't feel comfortable with my local Toyota Tech tearing down a b58 block. This is likely the first time they will have ever seen the internals of the engine. I can only imagine what this does for the future reliability and value of the car.

If I was choosing between a '21 with 13k and no problems, or a '21 with 13k and major engine repairs.. the choice is clear for the problem-free car.

Good point. If the engine is dismantled under warranty, it will likely be recorded and appear on a Carfax report, hurting resale.

Why I've held off on it with mine, given I'm not having any performance issues.

Winter is coming though (this car isn't known for its winter performance even with the right tires) and I've been offered the same money I bought it for in this crazy used market. I'm tempted to sell.

I have a Lexus IS500 pre-ordered as a "reliability" back up, should the Supra get worse. (Braces for jokes)

NoCrust

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 30T, 2017 Acura MDX
I have be religious about check the oil level in my car due to consumption issues in the 2021. Today after a vigorous drive I decided to check. I ended up doing a double take because after 3350 miles I finally got the engine is low add oil Immediately.

I contacted the service department of the dealership where I purchased it and the service writer told me not to move he would send a tow truck. I waited about 15 minutes and received a call from the service manager and he said he contacted Toyota and they advised they are well aware of the situation and are in the works of coming up with a solution. I drove the car to the shop and they filled it with 1.1qts of oil. Upon talking the service writer he said they are conducting a oil consumption test and I have to return in 1200 miles and they placed a tamper seal on my dipstick. I said It doesnā€™t have a dipstick dipstick. Lol. So as of now no answers just making me more aware Toyota service has no clue what they are doing when it comes to this car.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I think the sensor is accurate. Itā€™s capable of taking measurements down to the millimeter as seen on my Ecutek App.

Please keep in mind that when the iDrive system tells you to add a 1 quart its adding an extra guard ban of oil beyond the max level.

So if you add only 200mL of oil its reaching max level but youā€™re not including the little extra beyond the max fill for the guard band.

Iā€™ve proven this with my Ecutek App. Iā€™m still gathering data to find out just how much guard band oil. But I suspect its between 400-500mL.

-RJM

FuzzyRev85

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Upon talking the service writer he said they are conducting a oil consumption test and I have to return in 1200 miles and they placed a tamper seal on my dipstick. I said It doesnā€™t have a dipstick dipstick. Lol. So as of now no answers just making me more aware Toyota service has no clue what they are doing when it comes to this car.
I'm pretty sure he knows it doesn't have an ACTUAL dipstick, but after conducting consumption tests on untold number of Camrys & RAV4s, that's just the term that comes to mind. They should have placed at least three tamper-proof labels underhood, on the oil filler cap, oil filter housing, and oil pan drain plug.

The service advisor might not be the most up to speed on these cars, but the Supra Certified technician should certainly know what he's doing.

Toshi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Nitro Yellow
Had my oil changed yesterday so hopefully my oil stays at max for longer this time after the engine break in.

I was a quart low after 4300 miles, so not bad compared to some in this thread but still don't like it. I will be watching it like a hawk!

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Had my oil changed yesterday so hopefully my oil stays at max for longer this time after the engine break in.

I was a quart low after 4300 miles, so not bad compared to some in this thread but still don't like it. I will be watching it like a hawk!
Which dealership did you go with? Its always good to know if you had a good experience.

-RJM

NoCrust

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 30T, 2017 Acura MDX
I'm pretty sure he knows it doesn't have an ACTUAL dipstick, but after conducting consumption tests on untold number of Camrys & RAV4s, that's just the term that comes to mind. They should have placed at least three tamper-proof labels underhood, on the oil filler cap, oil filter housing, and oil pan drain plug.

The service advisor might not be the most up to speed on these cars, but the Supra Certified technician should certainly know what he's doing.
I believe that he knew it didnā€™t have a dipstick. However when they told me this is the first one they serviced at this dealership the thought crossed my mind he had no clue whatā€™s going on.
Sponsored