• Total voters

Skull03

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Refraction Blue A91/ Series Blue BRZ
I'm picking up my 2021 from the dealer today for the first time after it burned oil with the seals on my drain plug and cap. The dealer should have official record of the burn rate now. Wondering if it will come to they offer me a replacement engine...

Did you by chance ask if you could keep anything from the old engine? Surely I can snag that ECU.... or maybe the turbo...

What do they replace? Did you happen to get itemized list and hold on to it (and be willing to share?). I just want to arm myself with the knowledge before getting into this. Don't want to leave my AMS downpipe on it and find they replaced everything from the airbox to the exhaust. Would be awesome if I could keep something like the ECU for cloning later with zero downtime.

PS. I also heard they sell these engines sometimes and shops scoop them up to build them.
Iā€™ll try and take a pic of the itemized list. It was the entire engine assembly. Pretty sure you keep the same ECU. Iā€™d revert back to stock, itā€™s a bitch but you donā€™t want them to try and find a reason to void your warranty.
Sponsored

slytherx

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra, 22 F250 KingRanch Tremor, 22 GX460
The Toyota Executive office has confirmed that they are releasing a TSB for the excessive oil consumption on the GR Supra. The fix is planned to be released to dealers this March 2022. As we know this is affecting at least the 2021 models (and probably the 2022 since nothing changed). The guy I spoke with there wasn't technical and had little detail behind it to explain, but it sounded like oil is essentially slipping past the valve seals.

>I'm 4 quarts in at 4500 miles on my 2021 bought in April of '21

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
The Toyota Executive office has confirmed that they are releasing a TSB for the excessive oil consumption on the GR Supra. The fix is planned to be released to dealers this March 2022. As we know this is affecting at least the 2021 models (and probably the 2022 since nothing changed). The guy I spoke with there wasn't technical and had little detail behind it to explain, but it sounded like oil is essentially slipping past the valve seals.

yeah Iā€™ve heard of this bulletin. I was hoping they would offer me a new engine before this came outā€¦ guess not..

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'09 335i, '23 Kona N
Yeah, my E92 burned a quart every 1500 for 155,000 miles. Do the math, I added over 100 quarts to that engine in 13 years.
Edit: Was on mobile and didn't see that you are talking about a E92 M3, I just assumed N54 problems ?

Well how often were you having to add oil during times of multiple leaks then? My E92 is currently at 150k miles and I've owned it since around 50k. When all leaks are taken care of I add a quart every 2,500 miles or so but that really didn't start for me until around 100k. Throw in a leak or two and it's closer to your experience of every 1,500.

Last edited:

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250

I had as few as 750 miles per quart.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
The aspect of this Iā€™m curious about is if you had a 2020 that somehow had oil consumption issues (albeit it seemingly non existent) IF you managed to get them to replace your engine so they swap it to a 6 port engine? I canā€™t imagine Toyota would really have spare 2 ports any longer

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
The aspect of this Iā€™m curious about is if you had a 2020 that somehow had oil consumption issues (albeit it seemingly non existent) IF you managed to get them to replace your engine so they swap it to a 6 port engine? I canā€™t imagine Toyota would really have spare 2 ports any longer

Europe didn't get the new 6 port.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Europe didn't get the new 6 port.
Interesting, that I wasnā€™t aware of. I wonder what shopping times for replacement engines are from Europe if they donā€™t have them state side. A local a91 to me is having an engine replacement because of this issue

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
You wind up dumping it/trading it in or?
After a little back and forth with Toyota, I was able to sell it back to the dealership. I was lucky and got a little over $6k above what I paid for it new. Iā€™m not sure that was any different than what Carmax would have paid ($55.5k).

Dealership will work with me on getting a new one without markup.

fatal-element

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nitro Yellow 3.0 Prem, RIP to my E92 M3
Edit: Was on mobile and didn't see that you are talking about a E92 M3, I just assumed N54 problems ?

Well how often were you having to add oil during times of multiple leaks then? My E92 is currently at 150k miles and I've owned it since around 50k. When all leaks are taken care of I add a quart every 2,500 miles or so but that really didn't start for me until around 100k. Throw in a leak or two and it's closer to your experience of every 1,500.
Good point. I'd say it was generally about 2-3k in the beginning, then when the valve covers got warped and just constantly shit oil all over the engine bay, probably every 1k (sometimes less). I average it out to about 1500 when I look at my Google Sheet about it (I kept track, I like data). After I got new valve covers fresh from BMW, went back to about every 2k, sometimes less. I was at almost 150k when the main bearing started knocking, then went away after some work, just crested 155 when it really put some metal in the pan and started sounding like a steel drum solo. Before that, most likely just due to age, it was getting lesser and lesser between quarts. But 155k on an //M engine is alright in my book.

I'm now at a few thousand on my 2022 and engine oil is still max, so I'm assuming this will not be a big problem for my Supra. I redline the hell out of it now that it's out of break-in, but I did stay under 4.5k for break-in. I don't put too much stock in lawyer-drafted break-in language, but it made virtually no difference to me since it only took me a week so I just did it. 2,000 miles of probably 50+ redline shifts a day at a MINIMUM and riding around at 5k RPM on the highway and I'm still at "Max."

slytherx

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra, 22 F250 KingRanch Tremor, 22 GX460
I'm now at a few thousand on my 2022 and engine oil is still max, so I'm assuming this will not be a big problem for my Supra.
Agreed- if you're over 3,000 miles and haven't gotten check oil then you're probably good. My first low oil showed at ~1200-1500 and it was because I ran the oil check. I was running the test every couple hundred miles (having read other people having the same issue). After that, the other few quarts I've had to add I waited until it notified me. I've pretty much parked it- probably only put 500 miles on the car in the past 4-5 months but am on the fence about whether I'm going to wait for the fix or get rid of it.

AK0830

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition
Iā€™ll try and take a pic of the itemized list. It was the entire engine assembly. Pretty sure you keep the same ECU. Iā€™d revert back to stock, itā€™s a bitch but you donā€™t want them to try and find a reason to void your warranty.
Fighting with Toyota right now about this. 15 qts added in 11k miles. Plano blew me off and said there's nothing wrong with it without even inspecting the vehicle. Getting a Lemon Law attorney now and would like as many similar stories, replacement situations to prove other people have this problem and are getting action but Im not. Any information you can provide, Id appreciate. Did you have them do a compression / leak down test as well or just inspect the cylinder walls?

I tried finding "Anthony Supras" story on FB but it seems he deleted his situation after he sold the car.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Fighting with Toyota right now about this. 15 qts added in 11k miles. Plano blew me off and said there's nothing wrong with it without even inspecting the vehicle. Getting a Lemon Law attorney now and would like as many similar stories, replacement situations to prove other people have this problem and are getting action but Im not. Any information you can provide, Id appreciate. Did you have them do a compression / leak down test as well or just inspect the cylinder walls?

I tried finding "Anthony Supras" story on FB but it seems he deleted his situation after he sold the car.
I take my car back soon after burning 1QT in 700 miles after having service to address the non-working Oil-level sensor. Toyota Cedar park has been wonderful so far to work with, but I do wonder what they will do about this oil consumption on my car. There is a new service bulletin coming out soon, that addresses this issue specifically, so I guess I will be going in to get this new procedure done.

They specifically told me if I continue to burn oil at the rate I do, I need to bring it back, and I'm about to hit minimum level just before I am due for 10k service.

Nope

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra
It's likely similar to FCA's w84 recalls on the 2.4 multi air/ tigersharks. ECU basicly pulls vacuum more than it should causing oil vapor to be burned off. My vehicle only goes through one quart every 2000 miles. But I have seen a couple puffs of blue smoke while my wife drives the vehicle cautiously and has had to gas it a bit to avoid Portland OR decadence. Or rolling past me when stopping on a downward slope, meaning that oil is likely pooling somewhere in the intake manifold and sloshing into the intake valves.
Sponsored