Car shutter when braking.

BadCat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Yall experience a bit of shutter when braking hard at all?

Didn't know if yall had the issue?
Sponsored

OP
OP

BadCat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
You mean the engine decel, or like a suspension like shake?

The engine definitely aggressively downshifts, which is almost a "shutter"
Definitely braking. Not on the decel. And not all the time. Almost like auto braking system is pulsating a tiny bit.

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I havenā€™t had this issue but is your front collision thing braking for you? I turned that off

SpeedRacer

First Name
AP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Have you tracked your car, are you aggressive on the brakes, do you live in a hilly area?

Could be warped rotors. It would feel like a pulsation through the brake pedal and sometimes through the steering wheel. I havenā€™t run into that with the Supra but itā€™s been an issue for us with several other cars (we live in the Texas Hill Country and itā€™s hard on brakes). A good shop can diagnose it quickly.

OP
OP

BadCat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I havenā€™t had this issue but is your front collision thing braking for you? I turned that off
No its only when I press the brake

OP
OP

BadCat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Have you tracked your car, are you aggressive on the brakes, do you live in a hilly area?

Could be warped rotors. It would feel like a pulsation through the brake pedal and sometimes through the steering wheel. I havenā€™t run into that with the Supra but itā€™s been an issue for us with several other cars (we live in the Texas Hill Country and itā€™s hard on brakes). A good shop can diagnose it quickly.
This is likely the issues now that I think about it. I'll check the rotors. Car only has 3k ont it....

OP
OP

BadCat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Following up on the actual issue. Took the car to Toyota, turns out lower a arm bolts were loose... caused the rattling and shaking when braking. Toyota said they weren't charging me for tightening them up as if they had done me a true solid...

Lived to drive another day.

MYNEWFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Turbulence Gray Supra Premium
Following up on the actual issue. Took the car to Toyota, turns out lower a arm bolts were loose... caused the rattling and shaking when braking. Toyota said they weren't charging me for tightening them up as if they had done me a true solid...

Good that it's been sorted.
I was going to say that warped rotors normally only pulsate the brake pedal.

SpeedRacer

First Name
AP
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra

How do those come loose?! Did you mod the suspension?

If I was Toyota and suspension bolts were loose on an unmodified car, Iā€™d tighten them with locktite and go back to look for other examples of that occurring.

Mark5

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 M2
Same thing happened to my car the past couple of weeks... Can feel mild/moderate vibration on brake pedal and chassis like moderately slowing down from 50mph through 30mph.

I just completed a road test with the tech and he felt it and says it's probably warped rotors. They are looking into it more for me, however I have 21k miles on my car with 50% brake pad life left, so if actually been very careful with the car and it's never been tracked. Hope they cover it as a factory defect.

Now that I think about it, this was when the weather became extremely cold, then I drove to Florida in the middle of it for the holiday and it was 70Ā° there. So it was basically 10Ā° or less to 70Ā°. Idk if That had something to do with it.

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
I came here wondering if someone discovered ABS šŸ¤£

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I had the same exact thing on hard deceleration, about 145 to 70mph

546AAF94-D0F2-43A7-AAA4-89E2A7A2E507.jpeg

Itā€™s fixed now

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
But yeah, she was shuddering a bit before it happened. You could definitely feel it comingā€¦. End result, new tight bolts & it doesnā€™t do it anymore, lol. Great post @BadCat! I wish I would have saw your post prior to this happening. Will definitely check mine for now on!!
Sponsored