Cyberware

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Hello Everyone,

Thinking of trading in the car for something with a backseat. Have a Titan Protune and Catless Downpipe available if anyone is interested, but that is not the topic of the post. I had my car tuned and removed it this past weekend since I am anticipating trading it in. It has a CEL due to the Catless DP and although I had a mini cat for the sensor that would supposedly not cause a CEL...we all know that isn't true. I know for a fact that removing the code would make the CEL go away. It went away after a tech installed it and cleared the code...but it came back after a while. The thing is that the place I took it too said that it would not go away and thought it might be a real issue. Another tech said that they have a shitty code reader and that it just wasn't taking to the car right to clear the code...and the other one that did clear it the last time was a personal tool of a senior tech that wasnt there at the time. I am trying to find if this is an actual issue with the sensor at this point...or if I just need someone to clear the code. I called into my local dealer for the exhaust CEL since I had a piggyback and they point blank asked me if I had a tune. I told them no...but the lady was nice and said that in case I actually had one to please not bring it in because they are checking! Have you guys heard of any dealers doing this or has anyone else run into this? I am thinking of looking around for another dealer but kind of scared that another dealer wont ask beforehand like this one and just report the VIN and void the warranty on it. At this point I am going to wait for the tech to come in...he works Wed-Sun. Also considering of just taking it to a regular mechanic at this point, or looking for someone who has a code reader that can actually clear the codes. This is kind of a FYI in case you guys weren't aware of this...if I can save even one person from getting their warranty voided for a recall or something stupid...then that's a win.

Edit: Realized the timeline and whats happening is all vague.
1. Had DP with the Minicat installed and CEL went away for a while but came back
2. Drove it with CEL for months due to the fact that it would come back anyway
3. Thinking about trading it in. So had the DP's swapped and tune removed. Tech's were not able to remove CEL codes and got 2 stories. One was that there was an issue because it wasnt going away. Second tech came in and said that their code reader was actually pretty shitty and that the senior tech with a nice reader already went home. I could go on Wednesday to get it cleared with his because he remembered they successfully cleared it with his personal one.
4. Thought about taking it to Toyota to get it looked at. I got warranty so no problem right...that was when lady told me about them checking for a tune and to please not bring it in if I had one.
5. Now waiting for a tech since it seems most places have basic readers.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Cyberware

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I realized I didnt mention it...I did put the stock pipe in but since the code wasnt cleared its still on the dash. The car is bone stock at this point and I have the Tune and Catless DP uninstalled. The issue was that a couple techs werent able to clear the code this time around. One said that the code would not go away and the other said they had a shitty code reader. The last time I went there to put the part on they had used a Senior Tech's personal nice and expensive code reader and not the shop reader. Since then I went to a separate mechanic who had a cheapo reader and his reader didnt work to clear it either. From what they are saying is that their code reader is not able to read it properly...it is not that the car is messed up, its just their readers arent working for the car. I was just posting this in case someone has a tune and is thinking of taking it into the dealer. She said flat out for Supra's they are checking for evidence of a tune. I plan to wait for the guy to come in to see if he is able to clear it on Wednesday, or if the computer resets itself after the required amount of miles.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
At this point I would just sell the Supra privately. You lose out on the tax savings but the crap you're going through isn't worth the stress.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
I would try OBDlink CX+ or MX+
It comes with an app to scan and clear codes on your Supra.
With the car off plug OBDLink in the OBD/diagnostic port
Hit the start button three times quickly on your Supra with the foot off the brake
This puts the car in diagnostic mode and OBDLink can scan and remove codes.

Hellion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 premium
Like above, I would pick up the OBD MX+ and check/clear the codes yourself.

MR4RT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
From what I've seen from a Toyota tech the CEL may not be able to be cleared with a code reader. It might only be cleared by key events, which means now that you have gone back to stock the computer will only turn off the CEL after a certain number of cold starts, he said up to 50 for Toyota. Unknown if BMW is the same.

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
From what I've seen from a Toyota tech the CEL may not be able to be cleared with a code reader. It might only be cleared by key events, which means now that you have gone back to stock the computer will only turn off the CEL after a certain number of cold starts, he said up to 50 for Toyota. Unknown if BMW is the same.
Are you sure he didn't say after 50 miles? 50 cold starts is ridiculous.
Sponsored