CEL With Catted Downpipe

A90Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra Launch Edition
I’m thinking about getting a CG Precision DS-1 catted downpipe (200 cell cat). Will it throw a CEL? Also, do any O2 extenders with the mini cat prevent the CEL?
Sponsored

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2023 F150 Tremor
Since they don’t issue a guarantee, I would bet yes, eventually. (And I have one, but I’m tuned.)

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
200 cell cats will often throw a CEL. Not on every car. Not in every climate. But there's a non-zero possibility.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I recently installed a catless downpipe, and of course got a CEL. I have to say, BMW did an excellent job of putting the light itself in the most unnoticeable spot possible. It's pretty dim, too. I've had some cars where it's on the tach or between the tach and the speedo and burns with the brightness of a thousand suns. What's the deal? People don't want it on when taking their car to the dealership?

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2023 F150 Tremor
I recently installed a catless downpipe, and of course got a CEL. I have to say, BMW did an excellent job of putting the light itself in the most unnoticeable spot possible. It's pretty dim, too. I've had some cars where it's on the tach or between the tach and the speedo and burns with the brightness of a thousand suns. What's the deal? People don't want it on when taking their car to the dealership?
For me - OCD. The problem MUST be fixed.

There’s also a sense of “how do I know if another CEL causing issue pops up if the CEL is always on?” Don’t feel like scanning all the time to be sure.

OP
OP

A90Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra Launch Edition
If there’s actually a serious problem with the car then you might not know because you see your CEL and you’re just like “oh that’s just a code for emissions because of my downpipe”.

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
If there’s actually a serious problem with the car then you might not know because you see your CEL and you’re just like “oh that’s just a code for emissions because of my downpipe”.
Yup. I've actually seen that a couple times. Just ignoring CEL is recipe for diaster.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Yup. I've actually seen that a couple times. Just ignoring CEL is recipe for diaster.
@A90Sean

Would absolutely agree with you in a car built in the 90s. However, I cannot see this car throwing a code about a serious problem without also displaying 15 error messages for you on the display in the car. Hell, I had one non-critical issue recently and had to close out 5 separate errors on start-up.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
@A90Sean

Would absolutely agree with you in a car built in the 90s. However, I cannot see this car throwing a code about a serious problem without also displaying 15 error messages for you on the display in the car. Hell, I had one non-critical issue recently and had to close out 5 separate errors on start-up.
I've heard of at least two MKVs where some error was thrown and driver was like, 'OH IT'S JUST MY DOWNPIPE'' and ka-boom.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Just get the AA catted dp if you are worried about a cel, it is a 100% guarantee, and they have a phenomenal warranty and customer service, have some in stock if you need!

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Just get the AA catted dp if you are worried about a cel, it is a 100% guarantee, and they have a phenomenal warranty and customer service, have some in stock if you need!
No benefit in spending the extra money for a catted downpipe only to have it throw a CEL anyway. 200 vs. 400 cell isn't going to make any noticeable performance difference anyway.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Mr. Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20'Supra 3.0 premium; AA DP; AS Intk; MBRP Ex; JB4
Did you get a lot of vibration during the factory cold start cycle after DP install?

I have cattless DP which was installed prior to purchase. I took it in for the recall which wiped the cold start elimination so now I get vibration during cold start. It goes away after the cycle completes but I'm trying to figure out/confirm if the vibration is caused by the aftermarket exhaust system or some other issue.
Sponsored