Climate control question - feels like AC turns on even though it's off

Ground Beef

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid
Last night I was driving with the 'Auto' off, 'AC' off and just running the fan/vents. I had it set to blow air in the top 2 areas (i.e. no feet) and set to 60 degrees. I had the windows up as I was on the highway and it was a pretty comfortable 70 degrees outside. Anyway, the car would blow cold air, and then it would blow more humid outside air for a bit, then start blowing cold air again...is this normal? Is there an additional climate control setting somewhere in the menus that ensures the cabin doesn't get too humid? I'm fairly certain my front defrost was off as well.
Sponsored

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I would like other peoples input on this as well. I feel like even though the ac button is off, the ac is still on, only sometimes. After I turn mine on and off a few times, it seems to stay off.

Kato

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2020 GR Supra Phantom
You guys are not alone. I noticed this behavior soon after owning my Supra. It acts like it has its own mind. I've experienced the same thing you all described. The most consistent behavior is that the A/C still blows out cold air after the "A/C" button is in "Off" position. But eventually it will stop.

The heater is weird as well. When the setting is not cranked to HIGH, it won't blow warm air. My VW CC did this also. Must be the same climate control system vendor that BMW shares with VW (?)

Having said the above, I like this system better than my Japanese cars because the air speed is never too high but still manages to cool you down.

Seven Bacon

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 Tundra, 2021 Supra
Well, the good thing is I can't tell when it kicks on like with some smaller displacement 4 cyl. manuals

wolf_kyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 GR Supra, 1996 NA Miata, 2014 Camry SE
i think i finally get what you guys are talking about.

On my 2014 Camry and my NA miata. i notice whatever you set the "temp" of the AC last, will remain the same after you set it off (even after shutting the vehicle off). So even when you turn the AC off there are still free flowing wind of the same last set temp flowing through the vents (as you drive and not even use AC).

(So confusing...) what im trying to say is i also experience this on other cars, thinking its a normal thing? even when the AC is off it still blows a little of the previous set temp.

However how i went around it is just setting the temp to be around mid range so it isnt hot nor cold. but for the supra (or new cars), you have to turn the AC on (power the system) to set the temp rather than having individual dials or levers that you dont have to power on. also it will blow on where you previously set it on (up, down, straight, defroster) from my experience..

hope that helps or makes sense? (or just disregard this)

MR4RT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
All HVAC systems use the AC to dehumidify the air. It cycles the AC on and off all the time. On the old systems you could actually turn off the AC and you would see people in the morning driving down the road wiping the water off the inside of there windows.

Last edited:

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
All HVAC systems use the AC to dehumidify the air
to go the next step.....this is normal for keeping the inside of the car from getting "stuffy". It is normal and can be adjusted in the settings. If you use the Supra Connect app, this can be set to cool/heat the car at a preset time before you get in the car.......

Kato

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2020 GR Supra Phantom
So what's the use of having the "A/C" button ? Speaking of buttons, does anyone know what the meaning of the "A" and "M" lights on the circulated air button? It's either the air is circulated or not. What does "A"uto and "M"anual mean?

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
Yeah, this happens in mine too.

I gotta say this is one of the annoying things in modern cars. The lack of full control over some of the systems. When I hit a button to turn off the traction control I expect it to do that. No, in most cars it only partly turns it off and usually won't let you turn it completely off. HVAC being another. The Jeep forums are full of guys complaining about the auto HVAC and how difficult it is to control the temperature settings because the thing has been programmed so weird. It's one of the things I love about my 2016 Jeep. Manual HVAC system that does exactly what I tell it to. No push button start, a key. No app to control the vehicle, etc...

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I noticed this yesterday! Driving with the windows down (beautifully cool weather here in Central KY) and the climate control on 65, one line on the blower (?), and it felt like the AC was on. Didn't know it would kick it on to dehumidify, but it makes sense. Not knowing how the AC is designed in this case, with it not being belt-driven, does it suck "power" from the motor having it turned on in this car like it would in most?
Sponsored