Analysis, Comments & Reactions from the Web about the new Supra

Viselord

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru BRZ
Most of the negative comments center around "Its a BMW, not a Toyota", etc. I find this so comical. Everyone knew this was being co developed with BMW. So why are they so shocked now? What were they expecting? Plus with all the leaks I am pretty sure most people were pretty well informed but seems like everyone is so surprised by the Supra now.

Also, I feel this is just a passing cloud where all the trolls have their time. The exact same thing happened with the LFA and the 86. People hated it when the cars came out. But look at how they are received now.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Most of the negative comments center around "Its a BMW, not a Toyota", etc. I find this so comical. Everyone knew this was being co developed with BMW. So why are they so shocked now? What were they expecting? Plus with all the leaks I am pretty sure most people were pretty well informed but seems like everyone is so surprised by the Supra now.

Also, I feel this is just a passing cloud where all the trolls have their time. The exact same thing happened with the LFA and the 86. People hated it when the cars came out. But look at how they are received now.
Heck,i used to look down on the 86 for having a 4cyl...now i think it sounds great!

JDMMA70

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1988 Supra Turbo, 2000 Miata
In my opinion I think part of the issue is that Toyota did indeed build it for the "fans". The question is which fans? I think majority of the "fans" complaining the loudest remember the Supra, mainly the MK4 not for what it was, but for what it was capable of. Would any of those people be content with a bone stock MK4 back then or today? Probably not. How about a bone stock MK3, MK2, or MK1? I think we all know the answer to that. If the Supra specifically the MK4 never had any aftermarket support, never made any of the crazy power builds, this car would be nothing to anyone and everyone, except those who actually did enjoy the cars for what they were. I think Toyota had to juggle how to please both and that in itself is extremely difficult, because people forget the Japanese economic bubble was really the only reason cars like the Supra, Turbo Z, 3000GT, GTR, RX7, etc came into existence. A day gone by when Japanese manufactures had enough money to blow on R&D and lose on sales.

Pull up to a meet in a bone stock MK4, it might draw a crowd, only to see what is done to it. Once they find out its stock people scatter. If its automatic people run away. No one wants to admit this.

MT6

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I for one was really disappointed about the lack of Toyotas involvment. Instead of a balanced job split between Toyota and BMW, the end product is 99% BMW tech, assembled on a third party line (which will be even worse than a BMW plant in regards to build quality). People really shouldn't defend Toyota for their lazy badge engineering and outsourcing practices.

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase
I for one was really disappointed about the lack of Toyotas involvment. Instead of a balanced job split between Toyota and BMW, the end product is 99% BMW tech, assembled on a third party line (which will be even worse than a BMW plant in regards to build quality). People really shouldn't defend Toyota for their lazy badge engineering and outsourcing practices.
I know, right? What have those Toyota engineers been doing for the last few years? Someone should check their time cards, because there's been serious mischarging going on. Everybody knows that they just sent a couple of sketches to BMW back in 2014 and said "Give us a call when it's ready." Damn shame.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
The company building it is not just another third party line. It is Magna Steyr, the company that builds the 5-series, the G-wagen and once built the Rapide and the SLS. I think they know how to build a quality car that is up to your professional standards.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
In my opinion I think part of the issue is that Toyota did indeed build it for the "fans". The question is which fans? I think majority of the "fans" complaining the loudest remember the Supra, mainly the MK4 not for what it was, but for what it was capable of. Would any of those people be content with a bone stock MK4 back then or today? Probably not. How about a bone stock MK3, MK2, or MK1? I think we all know the answer to that. If the Supra specifically the MK4 never had any aftermarket support, never made any of the crazy power builds, this car would be nothing to anyone and everyone, except those who actually did enjoy the cars for what they were. I think Toyota had to juggle how to please both and that in itself is extremely difficult, because people forget the Japanese economic bubble was really the only reason cars like the Supra, Turbo Z, 3000GT, GTR, RX7, etc came into existence. A day gone by when Japanese manufactures had enough money to blow on R&D and lose on sales.

Pull up to a meet in a bone stock MK4, it might draw a crowd, only to see what is done to it. Once they find out its stock people scatter. If its automatic people run away. No one wants to admit this.
I'm not sure if you were around in the 90's to remember, the MKIV went up against the big boys and made a valiant impression. It's very ignorant when people say FnF made the Supra. Why hasn't Mitsubishi Eclipse gone up in value then since that's what Brian drove as well. It didn't make the Supra a legend, it was already a legend by the end of 1993.

rt893_01.jpg

rt893_02.jpg

rt893_03.jpg

rt893_04.jpg

rt893_05.jpg

rt893_06.jpg

rt893_07.jpg

rt893_08.jpg

Supra_TT

First Name
Salvador Lima
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Mustang 5.0
I've been waiting for this car for a long time. I like the car itself but 335hp, automatic, $50k is not exciting at all and difficult to justify when there are other options.

I was hoping for a trim closer to the M4. I'll keep waiting to see if toyota comes through.
Sponsored