Analysis, Comments & Reactions from the Web about the new Supra

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
First off, many these so called "car enthusiasts" that hate this new Supra lack the understanding of the politics of what being a successful modern day manufacturer has become. Not only that but NOBODY HAS EVEN DRIVEN THE CAR YET. When ANYTHING new comes out it is only human nature to criticize anything new, as finding flaws is easier then anything else for us its simply human nature. Look at almost any post 2000's sports cars that are in the "affordable" bracket wether it's Mustangs, Camaros, 370's, etc and I would guarantee theres a healthy amount of resistance to change. Considering just how much popularity there is for the supra worldwide 25 years after it was released I'm not overly surprised that theres an equal amount of bad initial publicity for it.

The major consensus is that we want something as close to what was made over 25 years ago by Toyota, myself included. But in an environment where profit, steady sales and reliability of the more "mediocre" models is the focus to a massively successful automotive company quite frankly there is no room to develop sports cars at an "everyman" price level without incurring massive losses or cost cutting. This is a huge part of the reason that Toyota teamed up with BMW in the first place, without this partnership a fully in house designed vehicle would be significantly more, and thats assuming it makes it past these penny pinching committees. The bottom line is that we can't have our cake and eat it too.

In conclusion, yes I think that we should really appreciate the fact that in a world where ev's and autonomous driving, and "mediocrity" is beginning to take the reigns that this Supra project even made it past the concept phase. When to remain Finanially successful Toyota really didn't have to go to the trouble of even considering to revive the Supra. As I have said in many other threads this is just an initial "base" model good things will come to those who are patient. More enthusiast based models are on the way. that I'm confident will clear up much of this initial hate.

Meanwhile in your ev and autonomous driving world, BMW is planning an M3 Pure that is going to be a fun RWD, manual with 454hp beast. It's not ignorance that majority of the feedback is negative due to a platform sharing so you don't need to justify it. This is what Toyota did and this is their result. If you're ok with Z4 performance, that's on you, I'm not.

https://www.motor1.com/news/301618/2020-bmw-m3-pure-details/

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Meanwhile in your ev and autonomous driving world, BMW is planning an M3 Pure that is going to be a fun RWD, manual with 454hp beast. It's not ignorance that majority of the feedback is negative due to a platform sharing so you don't need to justify it. This is what Toyota did and this is their result. If you're ok with Z4 performance, that's on you, I'm not.

???

We're comparing a 49k car to a potentially 66k car? I can't even...

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i

I understand your concerns about this but this M3 isnt even out yet and I would find it hard to believe the Supra to be the first model with that configuration

SupraStew85

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1985 Supra (1jz vvti swap incoming) 2004 V8 4Runner

This is comparing apples to oranges. Comparing vehicles that are 20,000$ apart ? They're in different leagues. Its like comparing a base SS Camareo to a GT350.

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
I have been waiting for a new Supra for a long time, just like all of you, but this isn't it. I don't care how you all justify it, but deep down YOU ALL KNOW that Toyota let us down! How can you all even begin to compare the engineering and passion that went into the A80 vs the A90? I understand that the 90's was different and every car maker in Japan was going crazy trying to produce the best sports car they could, but this seems like a half ass attempt IMO. I am beyond excited that Toyota is releasing a new sports car and I'm sure it's going to be a beast in the aftermarket world, but a Supra... really? The fact some of you are defending the lack of a manual is beyond me! Yes, auto's are faster and no one is denying that, but Toyota themselves said they were building this car for passionate fans. I mean they have a commercial of Camry's racing through Monaco for Gods sake! I hope this car does well and I will probably buy one down the road used, but this isn't the successor to the Supra lineage

Kleanish

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
98 C43 AMG
I have been waiting for a new Supra for a long time, just like all of you, but this isn't it. I don't care how you all justify it, but deep down YOU ALL KNOW that Toyota let us down! How can you all even begin to compare the engineering and passion that went into the A80 vs the A90? I understand that the 90's was different and every car maker in Japan was going crazy trying to produce the best sports car they could, but this seems like a half ass attempt IMO. I am beyond excited that Toyota is releasing a new sports car and I'm sure it's going to be a beast in the aftermarket world, but a Supra... really? The fact some of you are defending the lack of a manual is beyond me! Yes, auto's are faster and no one is denying that, but Toyota themselves said they were building this car for passionate fans. I mean they have a commercial of Camry's racing through Monaco for Gods sake! I hope this car does well and I will probably buy one down the road used, but this isn't the successor to the Supra lineage
Not at all exaggerating here, but I think this supra will out "legacy" the A80. I have a hunch this car will be revered for years to come. A good amount of A80 fans out there. But this car will expand from strictly Toyota fans into the realm of car fans that the A80 just doesn't touch as much.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
This is comparing apples to oranges. Comparing vehicles that are 20,000$ apart ? They're in different leagues. Its like comparing a base SS Camareo to a GT350.
???

We're comparing a 49k car to a potentially 66k car? I can't even...
You guys and your price delta. lol

imageduel449-533.jpg

6813507200_f879c1856a.jpg

6813507226_e530c6e35b.jpg

6813507240_6144d4bfdb.jpg

6813507252_5bf6cd917b.jpg

6813507264_49e02bc345.jpg

MT6

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Agree. I don’t think the B58 engine from BMW is underpowered. I believe the main reason why Toyota didn’t go on par with the Z4’s 382hp is because of reliability issues. It’s reliability over hp in Toyota’s case.
That would be almost as bad as them just trying to save money and lying about their own calibration.
If this BMW engine hasn't met Toyotas reliability standards at power levels >335hp/500Nm, it implies this car has very limited reliable tuning potential.

Last edited:

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
Not at all exaggerating here, but I think this supra will out "legacy" the A80. I have a hunch this car will be revered for years to come. A good amount of A80 fans out there. But this car will expand from strictly Toyota fans into the realm of car fans that the A80 just doesn't touch as much.
I hope so! This is Toyota's plan to get "car" people to start buying their mkv because they know everyone knows the word Supra

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
I think we are looking at this car too much from the A80’s perspective. That car made awesome power and it did handle well. But the targa is a floppy noodle and the car is not really known for its handling.

I think the new Supra has a good chance to become a track legend. It has an awesome chassis that fulfills all the basic requirements for sports cars. It also will have support from two different aftermarkets that will likely find ingenious ways to make it faster and handle better.
Sponsored