Analysis, Comments & Reactions from the Web about the new Supra

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
Outside of North America, the corvette has no market.

The supra will be sold globally - 2 totally different cars and markets.

As an example ... On autotrader currently in the UK there are 490k cars for sale, of which 39 are Corvette's.
I just checked autotrader uk, there are currently.... 3 Supras listed, of all generations lol

Supras sold well in Japan, North America and Australia, and thats about it. Here's the add Toyota used to sell the mk2 in the UK...
uk83ad.jpg
Sponsored

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
There's only 16 A60 left in the UK iirc... and one is an ex-Au car that I did a 2JZ swap for :p

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Whose? I don't think Toyota Sense qualifies as performance tech. The rest of the tech in the car is you know whose...
eh...the kid that doesn't have his driver's license is referring to the GR Super Sport hypercar, not the GR Supra. Either way was a dumb cop out for Toyota to not proceed with just their own hard earned development & money...

Oxytal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MR2 SW20
I was reading a Quora on why Toyotas are so reliable and one of the answers really struck me on why Toyota took the way they did with the Supra.

They're risk-averse.

They stick to tried and tested things for years so they get to develop and learn it inside and out. The same risk-aversiveness can also be seen in the Supra. They can only justify a new sports car if someone is willing to share the cake. Why build bespoke parts for the car if the co-developer already has perfectly good parts? The only thing they need to do is run it through the Toyota ringer for durability and you save a fuckton on R&D instead of developing brand-new parts.

Not shitting on the Supra, though. I think it's a great car. It just struck me real hard why Toyota does the things they do.

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
I was reading a Quora on why Toyotas are so reliable and one of the answers really struck me on why Toyota took the way they did with the Supra.

They're risk-averse.

They stick to tried and tested things for years so they get to develop and learn it inside and out. The same risk-aversiveness can also be seen in the Supra. They can only justify a new sports car if someone is willing to share the cake. Why build bespoke parts for the car if the co-developer already has perfectly good parts? The only thing they need to do is run it through the Toyota ringer for durability and you save a fuckton on R&D instead of developing brand-new parts.

Not shitting on the Supra, though. I think it's a great car. It just struck me real hard why Toyota does the things they do.
Toyota always plays it safe. Even if the Supra flops, I doubt they would be losing any money as they haven't really invested much in it. I would even say BMW would be the bigger loser in that scenario. I come from the Tundra world, and they pump out exactly the amount of trucks they sell with a very small margin of error. That's why you won't see as many Toyota trucks in the lot compared to Ford or Chevy. Don't quote my numbers, but Toyota makes 100,000 Tundras and sells almost all of them every year and sometimes makes a few thousand more due to demand, Ford makes a million and even at their best only sells 90% in the first year of a model and as low as 60% after a few years.

Ursicles

First Name
RC
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Aston Martin V8 Vantage S, Skoda Vrs 245
I just checked autotrader uk, there are currently.... 3 Supras listed, of all generations lol

Supras sold well in Japan, North America and Australia, and thats about it. Here's the add Toyota used to sell the mk2 in the UK...
uk83ad.jpg
Indeed there are only 3 supras for sale - but that's in main due to the supra not being sold new in the uk for near enough 20 years.

Dick

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra

They're risk-averse.

The bottom line is that it doesnā€™t make business sense to develop a sports coupe from the ground up at this point. Cars sales have been on the decline for the last 7-8 years ā€” so far this year the US light vehicle market is surpassing 70% SUV and truck, the highest it has ever been. In addition we have increasing emission standards in which small cars that donā€™t get a high mpg are worst in terms of regulations vs large pickups and SUVs.

The other point to consider is that development decisions arenā€™t made based on costs alone. There are also resource limitations ā€” OEMs have a finite amount of engineering resources to allocate to various projects. If youā€™re Toyota do you allocate teams of engineers to develop a new inline six and a sports coupe platform ā€” or do you allocate them to a next gen hybrid system, an electric vehicle platform, or shit, even a new 4Runner that would sell 150K units a year (and be significantly more profitable).

Last edited:

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
LMAOOO. No. Annoying ass people like you who think I would disrespect Senna deserve to be shown the door. And no, I do realize not everything goes my way. Hence why I deal with gung ho nibbas who like to troll.

Speaking of, I haven't seen PerformanceSound in forever on these forums. Did he get banned?
Nope, not banned. I see SF's Mighty Mod (FasTTurbo) is now active on here? Hahaha, seems like the Hateful Eight on SF's aren't keeping the "lights on" huh?

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
He's been pretty vocal on here
What he does best, being "vocal."

That checkelbow dude needs a reality check
Honestly, not worth it anymore. Don't do what I did and acknowledge his/her posts....it will only make things worse for everyone. Also, users ā€œHabibiPerformanceā€ here and ā€œMr.Gillā€ on SF are one and the same...just giving you a heads up.

Last edited:

FasTTurbo

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd (RR) - 94 Supra 6spd (Alpine)
He's been pretty vocal on here
Yes sharing an opinion in this mkv vacuum.

Performancesound you had one job and couldn't handle it. You were given plenty of slack for too long. Glad you can resume your troll roll on here.

Cheers
Sponsored