Comments & Reactions from the Web on the new Supra

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by Jabba, Jan 14, 2019.

1. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Darren
    Car(s):
    1993 RX7; 2011 Toyota RAV 4
    Liked:
    Thats fine, but with so much negative social media commentary against the new Supra from past owners, JDM guys, video gamers and keyboard warriors, you must be aware that such a comment would be taken the way it was taken. These people go out of their way to drag the new Supra down, and your comment seemed to be in that spirit as well. I mean, your choice to say that at all does say something about intention.

2. diss7

diss7 Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    A4, GT86, 997, TE27
    Liked:
    Want a Supra (6cyl) in manual? So did I. (video)

3. Goose

Goose Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Car(s):
    2013 FRS
    Liked:
    Seems like there's not much love for the A90 on reddit.

4. MA617M

MA617M Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    lots
    Liked:
    Engineer
    there's no love for anything on reddit

Goose, Bryster and SupraStew85 like this.
  5. SupraFiend

SupraFiend Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    5 Supras currently
    Liked:
    Change the clutch in one, then get back to us on that lol.

Agreed about the most beautiful and rotary bit, but' its not the FD you are seeing in the mk5, it's the 2000gt with the mk4s haunches/quaters added to it.

RyanGT3RS and DesmoSD like this.
  6. DesmoSD

DesmoSD Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
    Liked:
    Not gonna lie, I had to look it up to see what you were talking about. :D We're talking about $500 for a GT4 bro! That shit can have a burnt clutch, I'll still fix it. :drive:

I'm not going to say it's easy but I just helped my friend drop the engine out of his 911/996 to replace the IMS bearing. German and Italian labor tax is real. Thank goodness for Youtube Certified DIY vids.

7. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Darren
    Car(s):
    1993 RX7; 2011 Toyota RAV 4
    Liked:
    To me it has similar curves to the RX7, similar organic shape, although the details and sharp edges definitely are not. The narrow waisted, wide at the hips and shoulders look, and greenhouse shape all are reminiscent of the RX7, although I understand the claim is that the 2000GT was an influence.

Captain_Kirk likes this.
  8. SupraFiend

Car(s):
    5 Supras currently
    Liked:
    Agreed, it is reminiscent, I'm just saying there is no influence from the rx7 there. The mk5 rear shape is what you get when you take the 2000gts greenhouse and side profile and then slap the mk4s quarters and duck bill lip on the end of the hatch, then exaggerate everything.

The later GT4s spec something like 19 to 21 hours in the dealers labor guide to do the clutch in them. They are awesome cars, I go to a meet every year with a stack of them from every gen, but they are mega cramped under the skin. They are a pretty notorious for being hell to work on.

As an enthusiast vehicle they are a little odd too as they aren't really good at much of anything other then destroying gravel back roads at break net pace, which most surving examples of are too nice to do that too. They're too heavy to be really good at autox or circuit racing. Their drivetrains and electronics aren't designed to conquer all on pavement like a GTR or Evo. They are too rare and parts too expensive to make into a serious drag car like Eclipses used to be. Also the engines are only 2.0l and heat management and drivetrain durability keep them from chasing really high power figures. Anyways they are super cool and decent at most things when modded up a bit, just not great at anything. It would have been really interesting if Toyota had continued developing them in the 2000s and tried to keep up with the Evos and STIs. With the tech of that era they could have become really epic. But of course that was a dark era for Toyota.

9. Ryanthetemp

Ryanthetemp Member

First Name:
    Ryan
    Car(s):
    Past: E28 M5, E24 M6, E30 325is
    Liked:
    What car are you talking about, the Porsche, RX7, or new Supra?

dgh likes this.
  10. SupraFiend

Car(s):
    5 Supras currently
    Liked:
    Mk5 Supra

11. johnny_10196

johnny_10196 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Car(s):