Company reveal 2JZ engine conversion kit for new Toyota Supra

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
https://www.driven.co.nz/news/news/company-reveal-2jz-engine-conversion-kit-for-new-toyota-supra/

supra16.jpg

'Contentious' is one way to describe the new fifth-generation Toyota Supra.

After one of the most drawn-out launches in recent motoring history, the two-door sports-car was revealed in full in January. Looks were as expected (having been gratuitously leaked in the build-up), with output sitting at 250kW and 500Nm ā€” good for a 0ā€“100km/h of 4.1 seconds.

But Supra faithful were, predictably, lukewarm to the new Supra for two big reasons. Reason one; its indicated figures aren't much quicker than what the hallowed fourth-gen model could put down. And reason two ā€” perhaps more to the point ā€” was that under the skin and behind those figures was a car based heavily on the new BMW Z4. Many claimed that the new Supra 'wasn't a real Supra', and decried more than anything else the presence of the turbocharged BMW 'B58' inline six engine.

Enter Chicago-based tuning company CX Racing. In a somewhat inevitable move, the modified-car firm appear to be the first off the rank to announce a twin-turbo 2JZ-GTE engine swap kit for the new Supra.

Beyond the company's social media confirmation, embedded above, not a lot else is known yet about the conversion. That includes pricing, international availability, or whether any alterations to the Supra's structure are required to make the twin-turbo unit fit. But, it's safe to say that this will be the first package of likely many to become available to the tuner market.

The new package is one of many Supra-orientated modifications that CX Racing offers. They also offer extensive LS, SR20, and 13B swap kits, among many other parts on their website. Googling into their past, it appears that CX Racing products attract plenty of mixed reviews. Although conversely, they're also at the cheap end of the spectrum ... so potentially there's an element of 'you get what you pay for' to the story.

Despite the strong, 'vocal minority' calls splayed all over social media upon the new Supra's release that it simply needed to come with a 2JZ engine in order to be a true Supra, CX Racing's posted news has also had mixed reaction from followers.

"You probably won't sell a lot of these kits. Anyone that can afford a Mk5 isn't dumb enough to swap a 30-year-old engine in it, and anyone who wants a 2JZ Mk5 can't afford one," said one commenter. "Imagine spending $15,000 to be slower than some dude who's got twin Taiwanese Typhoons and a 150 shot of dentist gas on his B58," hilariously mused another.

That second point got a chortle out of us, but it's also true. What many of the 2JZ's most vocal fans on social media don't seem to be capable of grasping is that BMW's B58 is an inline-six icon in its own right. Even though it's only four-years-old it's already spawned a healthy aftermarket following (particularly in Europe), and ... come on ... if anyone knows how to make an inline-six, it's probably BMW.

The Yamaha-built 2JZ engine, as good as it is, turns 26-years-old this year. Developing a new variant of the old dog (let alone developing a new engine from the ground up entirely) would be a very expensive process, and a complex one with today's stringent emissions requirements for all engines.
Sponsored

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Lol they didn't reveal shit. That render is taken from @flathat3d on Instagram(Great 3D artist btw). CX Racing also just makes mounts, not "swap kits". Swapping a JZ into this car is going to be far more complicated than just finagling the motor into the engine bay.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
Lol they didn't reveal shit. That render is taken from @flathat3d on Instagram(Great 3D artist btw). CX Racing also just makes mounts, not "swap kits". Swapping a JZ into this car is going to be far more complicated than just finagling the motor into the engine bay.
I can only imagine how much of the car WONT work with a 2JZ in it. Imagine your brand new 60k Supra having less instrumentation and luxuries than a Ford Model T.

RyanGT3RS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red 991.2 GT3RS, M and AMG,s
lol, nope, pass. Love the 2jz but this is absurd.

I want my good gas mileage in the new Supra lol. (Yes, I care about gas still :rofl:)

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
I can only imagine how much of the car WONT work with a 2JZ in it. Imagine your brand new 60k Supra having less instrumentation and luxuries than a Ford Model T.
Imagine looking for one part and being directed to an A90 part?:rofl:

SupraStew85

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1985 Supra (1jz vvti swap incoming) 2004 V8 4Runner
CX racing is just a Chinese aftermarket company that makes intercoolers. Even if it was a kit, quality isn't exactly something that would be the first thing that comes to mind.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
If CX Racing has a full 2JZ swap kit available for the MKV Supra, then my name is Akio Toyoda...lol.

Itā€™s unbelievable the non-stop hate this new car is getting and NO ONE has stepped foot in one. 2JZ swap on a new car worth $50k??? Who does (or will do) that??? Most 2JZ swaps are done on oldā€”er cars that were picked up for a few grand. People need to understand, there will never be another ā€œin-houseā€ built Toyota sports car again. They are done with sports cars, and pretty soon even sedans. From now on, Toyota will ONLY be producing SUVā€™s, Trucks, and Crossovers....just like every other manufacturer. If people want a real Japanese supercar killer....honestly, get an R35 (if they can afford one) and hold on to it. Thatā€™s the best we are ever going to see in terms of supercar competition from Japan again.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
If CX Racing has a full 2JZ swap kit available for the MKV Supra, then my name is Akio Toyoda...lol.

Itā€™s unbelievable the non-stop hate this new car is getting and NO ONE has stepped foot in one. 2JZ swap on a new car worth $50k??? Who does (or will do) that??? Most 2JZ swaps are done on oldā€”er cars that were picked up for a few grand. People need to understand, there will never be another ā€œin-houseā€ built Toyota sports car again. They are done with sports cars, and pretty soon even sedans. From now on, Toyota will ONLY be producing SUVā€™s, Trucks, and Crossovers....just like every other manufacturer. If people want a real Japanese supercar killer....honestly, get an R35 (if they can afford one) and hold on to it. Thatā€™s the best we are ever going to see in terms of supercar competition from Japan again.
Or get an R33 since Nissan Heritage is making parts for it

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
CX Racing can be useful for some very very specific project car builds... mostly certain transmission and engine mounts, manual pedal conversion kits and some other key components. Though I'd only use from them what I absolutely must if no other company offers a better alternative.

But a full 2JZ-GTE into A90 swap "kit" from them...? Erm... yeah...

I mean... a handful of people with a lot of money to burn will do it one way or another using an aftermarket CANBUS enabled ECU just to prove they could but this isn't going to be a popular or easy A90 modification.

Why do it when your B58 powered A90 GR can jump pretty easily to 400-450whp or higher pretty easily just like a 2JZ-GTE can without changing much? We already know from Tada-san that this new engine will do a heavily modified 600whp at least on its stock internals. That's pretty consistent with the original design intent of the 2JZ-GTE only Toyota, Yamaha, Hitachi and Getrag apparently did their job a little TOO well with it back in 1990 much to our collective delight.

Performance, Toyota may be done with making 100% their own sports cars (or sedans) but the passion for them will never die. Here's hoping they and other manufacturers continue to find creative ways to keep some good ones alive into the future such as evidenced by the A90/Z4, GT86/BRZ, Miata/124, etc.

The huge obsession with SUVs and crossovers in the U.S. (that aren't G-Wagens, FJ70's, Defenders or Wranglers) makes me sad. But that it's a trend growing in the EU as well is mind-boggling.

Sigh... one hopes: long live the car and the sportscar so long as good engineering goes into either.

Therealist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1996 Toyota Supra
Iā€™m sure a lot of people laughed and said ā€œimagine having a BMW engine in a Toyota.....ā€