Company reveal 2JZ engine conversion kit for new Toyota Supra

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The MKV was detuned for reliability.
That’s what I was talking about. You can’t have the best of both worlds. With Toyota’s case, they’re going “reliability > performance”. BMW, on the other hand, is “performance > reliability”. In order to make the Supra reliable, Toyota has to sacrifice a portion of performance. Toyota did reduce the power of the Supra vs. Z4 intentionally for the sake of reliability. They’re staying true to their philosophy of building reliable cars; and I like it. With this formula, you now have a reliable car with good performance. What more can you ask for?:)

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
That’s what I was talking about. You can’t have the best of both worlds. With Toyota’s case, they’re going “reliability > performance”. BMW, on the other hand, is “performance > reliability”. In order to make the Supra reliable, Toyota has to sacrifice a portion of performance. Toyota did reduce the power of the Supra vs. Z4 intentionally for the sake of reliability. They’re staying true to their philosophy of building reliable cars; and I like it. With this formula, you now have a reliable car with good performance. What more can you ask for?:)
Balance as well. I often think about what Tada San mentioned about the 6 speed questions in respect to the power and it’s limitation with the torque.

We all know that more power reduces reliablity. Perhaps this is a sign on how Toyota felt about BMW’s quality since BMW tend to have problems at 50-60K and Toyota at broken in at 300K miles.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Balance as well. I often think about what Tada San mentioned about the 6 speed questions in respect to the power and it’s limitation with the torque.

We all know that more power reduces reliablity. Perhaps this is a sign on how Toyota felt about BMW’s quality since BMW tend to have problems at 50-60K and Toyota at broken in at 300K miles.
Should also be noted how surprised BMW was at Toyota's QC

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
Toyota did reduce the power of the Supra vs. Z4 intentionally for the sake of reliability.
I keep seeing this mentioned on the forum but is there any proof that it's actually de-tuned for reliability?

I've been under the impression that it's entirely due to the EU emissions filter. For both the Z4 and Supra in the EU the power figure is 335hp, removing any idea of a specific Supra de-tuning. The Supra is 335hp in all markets so the more logical conclusion would be they all have the emission filter and simply that the Z4 in the US doesn't as it isn't required for the regulations?

If the Supra was de-tuned we should see a power discrepancy in all markets, even with the filter in place. I think Toyota see it as reliable enough after all their testing but the regulations get in the way. It would also explain why BMW suddenly changed their 0-60 time after the Supra was announced, they were probably changing the EU market filtered times to the US market unfiltered times.

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I keep seeing this mentioned on the forum but is there any proof that it's actually de-tuned for reliability?

I've been under the impression that it's entirely due to the EU emissions filter. For both the Z4 and Supra in the EU the power figure is 335hp, removing any idea of a specific Supra de-tuning. The Supra is 335hp in all markets so the more logical conclusion would be they all have the emission filter and simply that the Z4 in the US doesn't as it isn't required for the regulations?

If the Supra was de-tuned we should see a power discrepancy in all markets, even with the filter in place. I think Toyota see it as reliable enough after all their testing but the regulations get in the way. It would also explain why BMW suddenly changed their 0-60 time after the Supra was announced, they were probably changing the EU market filtered times to the US market unfiltered times.
I’m also thinking the same thing, if the engine of the Supra is just like a BMW Z4 engine bound for Europe with a particulate filter, or is it a different one? Because, say, Supra for US and Europe, seems like power figure is just the same. But with the case of the Z4, US will have 382hp while Europe will have just 335hp.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Nope lol. Nobody has stated officially or unofficially that the lower spec 335hp is for reliability, or for any other reason. We do know that the part numbers for a few of the engine internals are different, so that may mean something, but the reason it has less horsepower isn't necessarily related. I don't believe it's confirmed that we have the particulate filter either, so that's another variable.

I personally think it's for nothing more than sales though. 335hp is what they speculated would minimize sales loss while giving them the opportunity to release a 382hp version (or 400PS as Tada-San nentioned to us) in a few years time as a midcycle refresh. This likely results in better overall sales over the lifetime of the model. Nothing to do with reliability, all to do with maximizing return, they are a business after all.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
If you watch the videos, he doesn’t really have a good way to launch other than brake boosting the torque converter, so I think his 60ft may hurt his overall 1/4.

Ah.. He mentioned severe traction issues, but I missed the videos.. Were they on IG or elsewhere?

Continued dumb arguments will result in a ban. No warnings.

Big broom, lumpy rug... ;)

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
stock turbos on a 2JZ is hardly a thrilling drive... especially when a modern single can give all of the response and even more top end.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
stock turbos on a 2JZ is hardly a thrilling drive... especially when a modern single can give all of the response and even more top end.
Unless you go with a pair of GT28’s on a stock setup....600hp with a stock look. One of the things I really like about the stock 2JZGTE in stock form is the piping layout. So pretty.
Sponsored