C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Here is the reality of it:
  1. Toyota was absolutely aware the new Z was coming back in 2019 and probably earlier. They are one of the world's biggest car manufacturers - they know what their competition is up to.
  2. The "We did it for the fans and due to your feedback" is marketing/PR bullshit. I work for a huge tech company who has entire teams and divisions of marketing/PR dedicated to it's brands, and work directly on one of those brands. They would never ever approve a message like "Oh yea we are simply releasing a new feature because our competitors announced it first". The default message is always "We're doing it for YOU, loyal fanbase!"
It's pretty simple - they have been working on this behind the scenes for a while, and invested the resources into finishing the R&D and testing once they had a good idea of when the new Z would actually hit production. It is not some random coincidence the manual Supra is releasing at exactly the right time to hamstring the competition's new product.
Finally! Someone that understands how business works.

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
“If you think of this prizefight as "Ringer vs. Retiree," it doesn't seem quite fair. And it isn't. But this is the matchup that people want to see, and who are we to deny them?”

“To wrap it all up in a final boxing metaphor, the Z is swinging wildly hoping for a lucky knockout, while the Supra confidently lands unanswered precision strikes.

😂

(For the record, I’m very happy the Z exists - more sports cars == better world).

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner
To be fair, that is a manual vs automatic comparison, but obviously the supra is much faster. More power to the wheels and less weight will do that.

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
I’m guessing they got what they could get to rush out a comparo. But either way, the MT vs AT bit mostly affects acceleration and engagement. The reviewers weren’t harping on the Z for being slow.

SupraMKV2.0

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
2023 M550i, 2023 M340i, 2021 Supra

SupraMKV2.0

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
2023 M550i, 2023 M340i, 2021 Supra
Just a little faster than a 91 Syclone. <3
The article is counting the 1ft roll out, the Syclone and new manual Z would’ve ran the same time.
Sponsored