Nissan Z vs Toyota Supra

Which one gets your vote?

• Total voters

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
The Z forum has turned into the equivalent of the other Supra forum. Its got heritage, its 100% JDM, its a true enthusiast car! The Supra sucks cause its BMW.... Thats about all they got.
They were led to think manual + Supra killer. They got manual and higher cost for similar but NOT better performance.
Sponsored

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
The Z forum has turned into the equivalent of the other Supra forum. Its got heritage, its 100% JDM, its a true enthusiast car! The Supra sucks cause its BMW.... Thats about all they got.
Not to mention the "real drivers never drive automatics" bullshit

trev_rs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium, '17 Abarth 124 Spider
The guy in the comments who said it would be more fair to compare the base Z and the 2.0l made me laugh even harder. The irony is that in some situations the 2.0l would still probably win out over that open diff unbalanced car. Can't wait for those comparisons to start popping up.

The empathy for the Zupra-killer in this forum is surprising to me at times.

trev_rs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium, '17 Abarth 124 Spider
Not to mention the "real drivers never drive automatics" bullshit
This is the level of the intelligence over there.

https://www.nissanzclub.com/forum/t...2-gr-supra-3-0-premium-review.1232/post-35457

Doesn't seem to realize that functionally from a driving perspective, that an F1 transmission or a rally car's sequential transmission is more akin to driving a road cars automatic than it does with rowing the gears and using a clutch like in a traditional manual setup.

Even these modern manuals with their "no lift" upshifts and computer controlled rev matched down shifts is hardly a "pure experience", it just eliminates the areas that involved the real skills with driving a manual.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
Yeah, we need the manual to manual comparison. Surely that's coming soon via many different outlets.

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
I just wanted to throw this out there regarding the argument that only MT cars are ā€œreal enthusiast carsā€ (whatever the fuck that means)ā€¦.

Prior to the Supra, all of my performance cars were MT, and even a few non-performance vehicles (like my old FJ Cruiser with a 6MT - cool truck). None of them had rev matching, let alone flat foot shifting. I worked hard to master smooth, consistent heel and toe technique, and used it all the time whether on track/autox, or in shite traffic. I love working a good manual gearbox.

In my 86 I also taught myself how to left foot brake - which is now the only way I can drive my Supra and my Land Cruiser.

In the 86 I learned to master momentum, as even after I supercharged it, it was still a momentum car. It was also the first RWD car Iā€™d owned myself (though I did learn how to drive in a V8 f-bodied Camaro, including in the snow).

In the Supra Iā€™m getting to practice trail braking (which the 86 just didnā€™t do), and Iā€™m able to focus more on my line choice and braking points than ever before.

The point is: good cars allow you to/force you to develop and hone new skills. This is far more engaging to me than simply rowing my own gears.

I almost didnā€™t buy the Supra due to the AT only (at the time), but have never once regretted it. Every time I push the Supra at autox, track, or backroads in a permissive country, I have a blast because the car is balanced, responsive, and allows me to expand my repertoire.

Iā€™d consider a MT Supra if the opportunity comes up, but it would be a very tough decision. I have so much respect for the ZF.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
This is the level of the intelligence over there.

https://www.nissanzclub.com/forum/t...2-gr-supra-3-0-premium-review.1232/post-35457

Doesn't seem to realize that functionally from a driving perspective, that an F1 transmission or a rally car's sequential transmission is more akin to driving a road cars automatic than it does with rowing the gears and using a clutch like in a traditional manual setup.

Even these modern manuals with their "no lift" upshifts and computer controlled rev matched down shifts is hardly a "pure experience", it just eliminates the areas that involved the real skills with driving a manual.
Lol yup. Those gearboxes are very different to H-pattern manuals. Even with WRC cars, the clutch is mainly for ensuring the car isn't delivering torque when using the handbrake.

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
From the Z forum...
Screenshot_20220613-145638_Chrome.jpg

So if you can't win any objective tests, just come up with your own subjective criteria. I'll bet that guy probably holds several 1/4 mile records for fastest Z with a stock pcv system and heated seats or some other asinine criteria that excludes everyone faster.

He also definitely goes around talking about how his car is one of only 200 in 2009 in some specific color and trim combination with a manual and the floor mats from the factory.

They're unbearable in defeat, can you imagine how bad they would of been if the thing was faster?

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
Well you've to accept reality at one point.
Pretty sure Nissan benchmarked the Supra during Z dev and despite not meeting Supra perf/etc. they've done the best they could and this is it. For sure many will buy Z as all is subjective and for sure Nismo will be more available than a limited GRMN and perhaps match Supra closer... There's also an established Z cult and aftermarket support....
Z probably will be on sale for 13 years and get many trims, special editions whereas Supra will die in 2026....
I love the supra for that point....not everyone in town has one, i rarely see them in the wild here in Charlotte....when they complete production, total numbers will be low and increase collectability in the long-run....if you care about that kind of thing. Know many a dude that wish they would have bought two 2004 VW Golf R32's and stored one. Anyway, i'm in the land of ten million straight piped Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers so seeing a Supra is always great.

Last edited:

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Its hilarious. If you want to drive in a straight line with no heavy feet and take an exit 10 mph over the speed limit they are a great tire. Anything more then that and I was honestly impressed how fucking terrible of a tire it actually is. Zero feedback, it just breaks away at the rear and starts pushing in the front even in stock trim, with a tune they are completely useless. The PS4S is only marginally better IMO. Much better tires out there.

That all being said I think they should swap tires onto the Z and do a 1:1 test.
Personally, this tire was one of the best summer performance tires by a wide margin when it came out....like in 2011.....it's long in the tooth now and the replacement is far superior. Michelin still sells a ton of them, they are lower cost than PS4S's and the R&D is well paid for so why would they stop selling them. I still think the PSS's are fantastic tires, finding a balance of great grip and longevity. Anyone can make an amazingly sticky tire, that lasts for 3,000 miles.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I love the supra for that point....not everyone in town has one, i rarely see them in the wild here in Charlotte...

Ha! I don't know... Seems there's at least one on the road at any given time in Waxhaw. šŸ¤£

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ha! I don't know... Seems there's at least one on the road at any given time in Waxhaw. šŸ¤£
I only see other ones at Cars and Coffee...I know the Soho boys had one as well at one point, not sure if they still do. I rarely see them however, i work from home, so i'm not running all over town but we do get out a fair bit.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
The Z has potential... it just needs to make another step to actually be competitive with the Supra. If Nissan was willing to put in the investment, the Z can be on the Supra's level. This current one just isn't there yet. It's like Nissan was satisfied with the Z just being sort of close to the Supra as opposed to its peer.
Sponsored