Converting the Electric Parking Brake to Electronically Actuated Handbrake

SLEEPYDUB

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2JZ E30, 2JZ FC RX7, E36 M3, Turbo M20 E30, 600whp VR6
1st time poster, long time drifter here. My concern with this chassis comes down to two things.
1) Electric Ebrake
2) No manual trans

I'll focus on my first concern, the Ebrake.
All newer cars seem to be switching to this style system, where a button, or a lever, sends an electronic signal to the rear brakes to engage the parking brake mechanism. This is great for normal people, not so much for me. However, I think it could be modified to suit my needs.

Would it be possible to mount a handbrake, like a hydro style, and put a button that has a potentiometer built in to where when the handbrake is yanked, it sends a progressive signal to the rear brakes for lock up? And, at the same time, as soon as the handbrake is initiated, it puts the DCT into neutral as to not tear up the transmission or cause a bogging issue?

I think that if this is possible, it would allow for the car to be much more fun for people like me. What do you guys think?
Sponsored

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
For integrating a progressive parking brake system, you would have to be able to write custom software to the DME in german.

I think this is where a dual caliper would be best.

OP
OP
SLEEPYDUB

SLEEPYDUB

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You're probably right, it is likely easier to go dual caliper assuming you can make the trans shift into neutral or have no load.
Otherwise, if someone was able to reprogram, then I think it would be a solid solution

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Are we talking about the new Supra? if so its not a DCT. unless they start offering as an option. The trans is a ZF8. but thats if we are talking about the 2020 Supra.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Are we talking about the new Supra? if so its not a DCT. unless they start offering as an option. The trans is a ZF8. but thats if we are talking about the 2020 Supra.
Well he did mention that it doesn't have a manual option and or ebrake lever so it is safe to assume the 2020 Supra since all other supras have both

OP
OP
SLEEPYDUB

SLEEPYDUB

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I thought the trans was a DCT in the 2020. I guess its just a regular 8 speed with a torque converter?

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
I would have to say that it is unlikely this car will be a true drift car without significant modification. It is basically impossible to rewrite the parking brakeā€™s code to lock up on demand. I also doubt there will be a way to decouple the engine from the trans unless someone swaps a manual into it.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
I thought the trans was a DCT in the 2020. I guess its just a regular 8 speed with a torque converter?
Nope, ZF8 Auto. Which despite being a traditional Torque converter trans, is very good. Very Very Fast shifts on par with the DCT. We're making 600-700s on the trans already. Seems to do well with a trans tune. A lot better than the older ZF6's. Not a bad trans honestly.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know exactly how BMW does their electronic parking brakes, but I have had the pleasure of messing with VAG electronic parking brakes, and the servos they use to drive the caliper are nowhere near fast enough (nor have the torque) to be used as an e-brake for lockup. The actuation is slow and deliberate and could slow the car at best, but not lock up a wheel.

You would have to run another caliper with a dedicated hydro brake.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
I don't know exactly how BMW does their electronic parking brakes, but I have had the pleasure of messing with VAG electronic parking brakes, and the servos they use to drive the caliper are nowhere near fast enough (nor have the torque) to be used as an e-brake for lockup. The actuation is slow and deliberate and could slow the car at best, but not lock up a wheel.

You would have to run another caliper with a dedicated hydro brake.
agreed. i believe they are similar across both brands.

OP
OP
SLEEPYDUB

SLEEPYDUB

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well I guess that settles it then. Good ol trusty hydro. Would be cool to see someone recode the module and upgrade the servos to high clamping force and quicker actuation in the future

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
Well I guess that settles it then. Good ol trusty hydro. Would be cool to see someone recode the module and upgrade the servos to high clamping force and quicker actuation in the future
Iā€™m fairly certain the servos themselves cannot physically generate enough force.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
I think thats more work than necessary whereas doing a hydro kit is faster and i feel you can feel the car better. But im old school and sometimes feel these cars have way too many electronics. But just a humble opinion.

Side note on the trans since its kind of a topic. we already have full ZF8HP flash tuning capabilities by way of one of my partners XHP. If interested, check out "XHP Flashtool".

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
Iā€™m fairly certain the servos themselves cannot physically generate enough force.
i'd lean to agree, as they were designed to turn on and lock, not really apply gradual or varying pressure. Even if it could take it, there would be more stuff to add (hardware components) to make it work besides just the coding i would think
Sponsored