Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Somebody sent me this today:

https://www.desertsun.com/story/new...es-when-car-hits-pole-vista-chino/1299647001/

A 19-year-old man was killed and a woman in his car injured when he crashed into a traffic signal pole at Vista Chino and Landau Boulevard in Cathedral City just after 2 a.m. Friday, police said.

Cathedral City police said "speed and fatigue" may have been factors in the crash that killed Isaac Gallardo of Cathedral City. They said he was driving a 2019 Toyota Supra in the early morning hours when he collided into the traffic pole on the southeast corner.

Police said it did not appear drugs or alcohol played any role.

When Cathedral City Fire Department paramedics arrived, they pronounced Gallardo had dead at the scene, but transported a 20-year-old Cathedral City woman with him to the hospital. She was treated briefly and released.

According to the Riverside County Coroner's Bureau, the crash was at 2:03 a.m. and Gallardo was pronounced dead eight minutes later, at 2:11 a.m.

Police traffic investigators said Gallardo was driving east when he collided with the traffic signal pole.
Not sure if its legit or just a misprint but idk, couldn't find much more info on it.
Sponsored

ifew552

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q50
Can't be supra, I thought it had airbags up the gazoo :) I would think you can survive running into a pole with all these airbags. And 2019 model year is not helping either

OP
OP
Guff

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase

Searchneverend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Camaro, Camry, Corolla, Accord, Z350, Alfa Romeo 4C
That makes absolutely no sense. The accident was so severe that the drive dies but the passenger walks away with minor bruises,"When Cathedral City Fire Department paramedics arrived, they pronounced Gallardo had dead at the scene, but transported a 20-year-old Cathedral City woman with him to the hospital. She was treated briefly and released."

"Had dead...." not a real journalist with that kind of report lol. I call it bs

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Didn't people say the passenger side was too open compared to the driver side?

084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
08 4Runner / 99ā€™ Lexus LX470 / Deposit 2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
Not saying this is the case, but I have seen people die from 25mph crashes and people walk away from 80mph crashes. The difference in almost all of them, was whether or not a seat belt was worn.

Again, I have no idea about this crash...

That makes absolutely no sense. The accident was so severe that the drive dies but the passenger walks away with minor bruises,"When Cathedral City Fire Department paramedics arrived, they pronounced Gallardo had dead at the scene, but transported a 20-year-old Cathedral City woman with him to the hospital. She was treated briefly and released."

"Had dead...." not a real journalist with that kind of report lol. I call it bs

Searchneverend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Camaro, Camry, Corolla, Accord, Z350, Alfa Romeo 4C
I totally understand where you coming from, but I have never heard of any crash where the driver dies and the passenger walks away with just minor cuts and bruises whether its 25 mph or 80 mph

Not saying this is the case, but I have seen people die from 25mph crashes and people walk away from 80mph crashes. The difference in almost all of them, was whether or not a seat belt was worn.

Again, I have no idea about this crash...

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
Rest in Peace to the driver. My B-I-L is a nephrologist and works at Desert Regional Medical center so I'm not going to confirm nor deny anything but he heard about it since a lot of car manufactures test in the Palm Springs area.

Vaevictum

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Camaro SS, 2012 Corolla
I totally understand where you coming from, but I have never heard of any crash where the driver dies and the passenger walks away with just minor cuts and bruises whether its 25 mph or 80 mph
It could happen if the driver wasn't wearing a seatbelt and the passenger was wearing it. 80mph collision without a seatbelt is a completely different animal than 80mph with one. Time will tell for sure though, it's hard to reach any serious conclusions with the limited available data.

084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Again, I know nothing about this incident....

However, prior to a career change 12 years ago, I was a cop in decent sized city (100k+ population) It is truly amazing how much the outcome of a crash can change if someone is wearing their belt.

One of the strangest crashes I worked was a day or two before Christmas. It was later determined that one of the drivers had a seizure, which caused the accident.

This was a typical city street, speed limit of 30mph. The guy who had the seizure, crossed over the center line and hit another vehicle head on. Both drivers were killed y the time we arrived. The guy who was having the seizure, was ejected through his open window and hit a light pole. The other gentleman, hit his head on something in the cabin and died from head trauma.

I remember this accident for a few reasons. The biggest one, is if you saw the vehicles after the accident, they look like they could have driven away from the accident.

Of course, in the case of a fatality, the PD impounds the car to mechanically inspect it, collect any evidence from the car, as well as take photos, etc...

Since the cars were impounded, I canā€™t say for certain if the vehicles could have been driven away, but the damage was relatively minor, especially considering they were the seen of a double fatality.

I can tell you with complete certainty, your chances of injury or death increases expediently without a belt.

On the flip side, we had an interstate that looped around the city. As you can imagine, accidents on the interstate involve high speed crashes, flips, sideswipes, etc....Plenty of occasions the FD had the jaws of life out to remove people from their vehicles that were in a mangled mess. In those cases, the occupants would be transferred to the hospital for examination, but seeing their vehicles, you would have assumed that nobody made it out of their alive.

Thatā€™s all I got, I am climbing off my soapbox now. ;)

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
are you allowed to not wear a seatbelt in the US? or, if illegal, is it still widely prevalent?

sorry to hear about the guy that died, that sucks

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
are you allowed to not wear a seatbelt in the US? or, if illegal, is it still widely prevalent?

Far as I know, some states it's required, not sure if it's the same across the US

084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Now days, it is illegal in most, if not all states. In the state that I was an officer in, we could not pull people over solely because they werenā€™t wearing their seatbelt. We needed probably cause of another crime/violation and then we could site them for not wearing a seatbelt, if we chose to.

In the jurisdiction I worked, it was a $10.00 ticket. IMO, it wasnā€™t worth the time it took to fill out the ticket.

I would say more people wear their seat belts than donā€™t...But I have no ideas what the actual numbers are.

Tkoch86

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 FRS [Halo] now a Launch Edition GR Supra #1062
Vehicle Showcase
How did he have one is my question?
Sponsored