foywilliamd

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Hey all!

Originally posted this in the thread discussing upgrades to OEM sound system, it was suggested that I post it here as well.

I will preface this by saying (and it will be evident in the pictures below) that I made all of the recommended modifications to the OEM speaker box. Ported the box, added foam, dynamat, blah blah. It still didnā€™t give the low-end bass response that I was looking for.

The fine folks at Modified Custom and Collision (Houston, TX) finished up some custom subwoofer boxes for me on Friday. The boxes are fiberglass with MDF faces. They installed two Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8 subwoofers powered by a 500W amp. Looks awesome, finished in factory carpeting with red speaker mesh. Sounds incredible! Check these guys out if you need any custom work done.

The cost for this sound system was around $2000 all inclusive. Labor and materials for the enclosures and install was $1600. I spent another $400 or so on the speakers and amplifier.

I would highly recommend shopping the open-box and scratch-and-dent sales on Crutchfield. I got both of these speakers at a significant discount because they had some small scratches on the back (entirely covered by the enclosure).

The factory ā€œsubwoofersā€ are still installed and fully functional. After hearing some advice from some of you, as well as conversations with my installer, the verdict was removing them would deprive the system of mid-range response. (i.e. it is not a good idea to simply remove these ā€œsubwoofersā€ and drop in high-end replacements).

The right subwoofer enclosure blocks access to the fuse box and jack, and both enclosures cover the battery. It is necessary to remove one or both to access the above. For this system, three screws are used (per box) to hold the enclosures in place, though the screws could very likely be replaced with Velcro tape on top and bottom. Either way, removal is not difficult, certainly not prohibitively so.

If you are knowledgeable in this field, you probably already know this, but the materials are pretty inexpensive. You can find them at local hardware stores (and even Amazon) for cheap. I went around to several audio shops for quotes before I pulled the trigger with Modified Custom and Collision. One shop tried to charge a 400% markup on material cost (over $1000). Some shops will allow you to purchase the necessary materials yourself, and bring them in. Demand an itemized quote so you can see where your money is going.

Feel free to comment with any questions you have about this build. Iā€™m pretty active and will usually respond same day.

Good luck!

P.S. Pardon the dog hair, Shadow likes to ride with me sometimes.

968A943F-E1DA-4CA8-9504-AB043C17AEB0.jpeg

32A91D1E-6E11-4358-AD17-8BE50EE28821.jpeg

E4DEBF94-87F1-411D-9A3B-ED0F5F9C8FB1.jpeg

B80056E5-BDE1-45CB-B415-3A5F2126CEAB.jpeg

E3161E86-EC72-41FA-AADE-E04655E6CEAA.jpeg

DA904034-9F7B-4D8E-B278-C085EA207CE5.jpeg

2D434E4C-9AD3-41B6-86D0-B520207431DD.jpeg

49EECCEC-BD14-4064-B530-73939D3D57BD.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
foywilliamd

foywilliamd

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Love it. Any progress pics during work or raw box pics.
Unfortunately not. I arrived at the shop an hour or two before they finished work on the boxes and didnā€™t get any pre-install pics

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Nicely done :thumbsup:

One of the main issues I found is that the current OE subs are being tasked to handle far too much frequency range / bandwidth...With some of my past test analysis I've done it showed that the operating range and power supplied from the OE HK Amp to the OE subs is fairly wide 50~500hz...

As I've mentioned in prior posts, simply adding 12db 8 ohm high-pass cutoffs (100~ 150HZ) in line from the OE HK Amp to the current OE subs (making them mid-bass) would free up a significant amount of OE amp power and allow for the OE amp to operate far more efficiently with less distortion to the rest of the OE speaker system...

And of course your dual Sub System with dedicated amp would then operate less than 100~150hz range

OP
OP
foywilliamd

foywilliamd

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
@tadda You know a LOT more about this than I do! (One of the reasons I paid someone else to make the improvements ?).

That will be great advice for anyone else who really enjoys playing with the sound system!

Reactions: zrk

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@tadda You know a LOT more about this than I do! (One of the reasons I paid someone else to make the improvements ?).

That will be great advice for anyone else who really enjoys playing with the sound system!
Or good advice for a shop that understands this and can do the work...It really isn't that difficult to do...

Your still unnecessarily straining the 2 existing OE woofers which will be adding distortion to the low bass sound and muddying your lower bass response!

Just some friendly advise...I do like the basic concept though!

Sam B

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
To be clear. Have you done any other upgrades, amps, DSP, speakers. Or are we talking just adding a few 8s to the rear.

OP
OP
foywilliamd

foywilliamd

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
To be clear. Have you done any other upgrades, amps, DSP, speakers. Or are we talking just adding a few 8s to the rear.
Just adding a couple of 8s to the rear (for now). Intend to replace the door and B-Pillar speakers in the future.

OP
OP
foywilliamd

foywilliamd

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
@tadda There are several guys on the local Facebook Supra group asking detailed questions about these modifications, and I have pointed them in your direction. Just a heads up!

Sam B

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Thatā€™s where it gets funky. U gotta fully commit then.

Doors only have 4ā€ speakers. A guy on here names metal just did some crazy doors w 6.5s in them.
But then you need 6-8 channel amps and DSP.
I opted to go all audio frog speakers up front and replace the 8ā€ current subs w Steven audio mb8s for mid bass.

and JL VXI amps w built in DSP. U also need factory integration then, which is donā€™t via the helix SDMI25.
Look forward to seeing how things play out for you. Check out metals posts on here, heā€™s pretty far along in his build and itā€™s sick.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@tadda There are several guys on the local Facebook Supra group asking detailed questions about these modifications, and I have pointed them in your direction. Just a heads up!
Thanks...ha!

No problem

OP
OP
foywilliamd

foywilliamd

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
@Sam B Iā€™ve seen his build! Heā€™s got some wild stuff going on. A lot more into it than I ever plan on going lol. At least for now. But thanks for the advise!

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Toyota Prius Persona Series
Thatā€™s where it gets funky. U gotta fully commit then.

Doors only have 4ā€ speakers. A guy on here names metal just did some crazy doors w 6.5s in them.
But then you need 6-8 channel amps and DSP.
I opted to go all audio frog speakers up front and replace the 8ā€ current subs w Steven audio mb8s for mid bass.

and JL VXI amps w built in DSP. U also need factory integration then, which is donā€™t via the helix SDMI25.
Look forward to seeing how things play out for you. Check out metals posts on here, heā€™s pretty far along in his build and itā€™s sick.
How do you like the Audio Frogs? Iā€™ve been looking at them in case I donā€™t like the sound on the GR86. Which ones did you get?

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
Any idea how much air space they were able to get like that. Iā€™m doing the audiofrog GB10 and need like .75 cubes net
Saw this question on the other thread. OEMAudio+ claimed to have 14 liters in there side load enclosure. If these enclosures are comparable that means we got just under half a CU FT in each.
Sponsored