Customer Mode?!? Dealership Joyride?!? Dealer BS?

NotSoJDM

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.GarageTherapyNC.com
Car(s)
'04 E55 AMG | '13 BRZ Limited | '18 ZL1 1LE | '20 Supra LE
My dealer just texted me informing me of a required 45 minute dealer drive of the car to engage customer Mode?!? I’ve bought a lot of new cars and have never heard of this one.

Anyone else getting this kind of story? Sounds to me like they want to take it for a joyride.

27602BAB-0FB7-44D8-9681-F5D52DAA30CD.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
NotSoJDM

NotSoJDM

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.GarageTherapyNC.com
Car(s)
https://www.instagram.com/pd9customs/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_mid=W2wliwAAAAGp8juoMCoBqpjYkBfY

Here you go, 45 mins of the tech doing customer mode. 45mins of cold start revving. You Supra will be perfect! No worries.
Awesome, I feel a lot better seeing that lol.

I actually talked to another source about ‘customer mode’, and it turns out he’s not totally wrong.

Apparently the cars are shipping in a “transportation mode” that will limit speeds to 12mph. So the dealers PPI process includes an ECU unlock and a drive above 12mph to get the car out of transportation mode.

It’s the 45min part that is the stretch ;)

Manny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86 & Lexus RC F
Someone in the dealership wants to drive it this weekend.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Awesome, I feel a lot better seeing that lol.

I actually talked to another source about ‘customer mode’, and it turns out he’s not totally wrong.

Apparently the cars are shipping in a “transportation mode” that will limit speeds to 12mph. So the dealers PPI process includes an ECU unlock and a drive above 12mph to get the car out of transportation mode.

It’s the 45min part that is the stretch ;)
tell them you'll do the 45 mins your self lol

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I'll have to ask about that. My arrival date keeps getting pushed back! Now it's 24th thru 29th! Wtf Toyota?

OP
OP
NotSoJDM

NotSoJDM

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.GarageTherapyNC.com
Car(s)
I'll have to ask about that. My arrival date keeps getting pushed back! Now it's 24th thru 29th! Wtf Toyota?
No =[ I already took off the 22nd. I hope it stays true to the original release date.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
What state are you picking up yours?
Michigan. Apparently it's on a train somewhere in Ohio..if I heard it correctly..So at least it's on the move. Previously it was just sitting in the docks.

Memphis

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
White Launch Edition
I drove a new Ford Rapor last week and it was still in Transport Mode. It said low power the entire time on the test drive. It deffinitely did not feel right.

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
Generally speaking, as part of a PDI the dealer will drive the car for around 10 mi (16 km), which typically takes around 20-30 minutes. I would be upset if the car wasn't properly PDI'd, but that said, with a car like this it's always nice to not have the tech beat the piss out of your car before you get it.

As far as transport mode, this is what the bulletin from Toyota USA says:

Toyota USA T-SB-0081-19 said:
Transport mode disables various electrical functions while the vehicle is being shipped to help prevent the vehicle battery from being drained. While in transport mode, the “Transport Mode Indicator” is displayed on the combination meter. The indicator will turn off after transport mode is deleted.

1. While connected to Wi-Fi, connect Techstream to the DLC3 port using the Supra Diagnostic Cable.
2. Press the Start-Stop (engine switch) three times within 0.8 seconds to enter Diagnostics (PAD) Mode.
3. Launch ISTA software, enter the following menus: Operations – New – Read Out Vehicle Data, and click Complete identification.
4. In the Connection manager window, select the VIN and click Set up connection.
5. Enter the following menus: Vehicle management – Service functions – Maintenance and pre-delivery check – Transport mode, pre-delivery check – Delete transport mode – ABL Delete transport mode Then click Display.
6. Menu display: “Delete transport mode and then carry out the pre-delivery check?” Select Yes, then click Continue.
[...]
11. Ensure that statutory exhaust-gas test is deactivated, then click Continue. If statutory exhaust-gas test is activated, select Yes to deactivate, then click Continue.
[...]
16. Menu display: “The steering angle sensor is not initialised!” Click Continue to initialize.
17. Menu display: “Electrical steering assistance is now activated.” Follow the directions on the screen, then click Continue once initialization is complete.
18. If the battery state of charge is less than 70%, charge the battery with the DCA-8000 battery charger using the Manual Charge option. Refer to the DCA-8000 Battery Diagnostic Charger Instruction Manual for complete battery charging procedures. Click Continue.
19. Fault memories should clear automatically. Once complete, review the pre-delivery check status list, then click Continue.
20. Menu display: “Service function finished” Click Continue.
21. Transport mode deletion is completed. The Transport mode indicator in the combination meter should now be OFF.
[...]
24. Turn the vehicle OFF by pressing the Start-Stop engine switch once, then hold the power button on the head unit until the vehicle powers down. 25. Disconnect the DLC3 connector from the vehicle and close ISTA.
I'm not seeing anything about a driving time requirement in those instructions.

Jeff

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Like I mentioned earlier tell them you'll drive it lol. Then snap a picture of the odometer after so they cant joy ride it after.