Daily car for around 10k

MiamiMKVSupra

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Hey guys just looking to see what cars you guys would suggest I look into for a daily. Right now I daily the supra and want to buy a cheap daily. I would like a vehicle that could still keep me decently happy and satisfy my addiction when I'm not with the supra 🤣 which is why I've been looking at older 335i's but I'm honestly open to daily any kind of car. If it goes slightly above 10k I wouldn't mind but trying to stay in that price range. What cars would you guys suggest?
Sponsored

OP
OP
MiamiMKVSupra

MiamiMKVSupra

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I'd say shoot for something somewhat reliable instead of an n54 lol. or else you'll be right back to driving daily in the supra once it breaks.
Yea I did think about it breaking down too any cars you’d recommend?

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I've gone down the route of having a cheap daily and a fun toy, and I gotta say I don't think it's the best approach. It's boring most of the time and you end up so rarely enjoying your expensive car that you start to wonder what's the point of even having it.

It's much better IMO to keep your fun car as the daily, and have the cheap car be your beater/winter car/backup in case the Supra is down for whatever reason. It doesn't really change what you're looking for in this second car, but it does change your perspective on what its purpose will be and how often you'll use it.

Anyway, my winter/backup car is a 2012 WRX hatchback. They're worth about $15k now, not too bad but a little above your target. It's great in the snow with a set of winter tires, has a ton of room for hauling large things, and is reasonably fun to drive when I need it. I typically only drive it one day a week when I take the dog to day camp, but it's getting to the point in the year now where I'll be stuck with it for 1-2 weeks at a time when the weather turns. Otherwise I'm in the Supra.

OP
OP
MiamiMKVSupra

MiamiMKVSupra

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
My last daily was an 09 Cobalt SS. Was a fun and reliable car that got good gas mileage. With just a tune, it was putting out 300whp and 340wtq. You can find pretty clean ones for about $8k.
Sounds nice noted the cobalt SS

OP
OP
MiamiMKVSupra

MiamiMKVSupra

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I've gone down the route of having a cheap daily and a fun toy, and I gotta say I don't think it's the best approach. It's boring most of the time and you end up so rarely enjoying your expensive car that you start to wonder what's the point of even having it.

It's much better IMO to keep your fun car as the daily, and have the cheap car be your beater/winter car/backup in case the Supra is down for whatever reason. It doesn't really change what you're looking for in this second car, but it does change your perspective on what its purpose will be and how often you'll use it.

Anyway, my winter/backup car is a 2012 WRX hatchback. They're worth about $15k now, not too bad but a little above your target. It's great in the snow with a set of winter tires, has a ton of room for hauling large things, and is reasonably fun to drive when I need it. I typically only drive it one day a week when I take the dog to day camp, but it's getting to the point in the year now where I'll be stuck with it for 1-2 weeks at a time when the weather turns. Otherwise I'm in the Supra.
Yea I heavily agree my logical side is telling me to get something useful right now I’m taking a look at everything from the useful aspect and fun little daily. Especially since when it rains here in south Florida the flooding is insane can’t afford to daily the Supra anymore thanks for the recommendation

OP
OP
MiamiMKVSupra

MiamiMKVSupra

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Not quite 10k , but I will swear up and down about a Focus ST. Probably will be dragged for this one lol
Looks like a fun car to me I like getting all these different spectrums of cars keep these coming! Honestly writing all these downs focus st thanks

Jrob

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.graveyardperformance.com
Car(s)
21 3.0 Premium
Looks like a fun car to me I like getting all these different spectrums of cars keep these coming! Honestly writing all these downs focus st thanks
Can get it to right under 400 wheel for fairly cheap and can totally push passed 400 as well. Also a very reliable car too!

Twundy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
uwgtb.com
Car(s)
Land Cruiser 200 Series, '21 Supra
I would look into models that have low demand in today's market, and that are more reliable than something with an N54 lol. Hatchbacks are also smart for practical use.

Some ideas:
Lexus CT200h (hybrid, great mpg, great reliability, hatchback practicality)
Scions have pretty low demand (tC, xB, xD are all practical and fuel efficient)
Civic Hatch and Corolla Hatch are pretty solid

Jakester

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
I bought a 2013 Corolla a year ago for 10k with 100k miles. It's been great so far. Oil, tires, air filter when needed.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
older Used Lexus ES300 or Toyota Camry

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'09 335i, '23 Kona N
You had it right all along. Pre LCI 335i coupe is the correct answer ;)

Seriously though, for $10k-$11k the mileage is likely to be over 100k and you'd want some extra $ set aside to address issues that the previous owner probably didn't bother with which pretty much defeats the purpose of keeping the budget around $10k. By 150k miles the cost of repairs to keep it properly maintained can easily exceed the value of the car if you don't have a hook up on labor or perform the work yourself. The N54 cars can actually be incredibly reliable and there aren't many common issues that will just leave you stranded on the side of the road.

If you could get a pretty clean one and have it cleared mechanically for around $10k then I'd say do it. I just spent more than that to keep mine on the road because it's worth it to me and the potential performance for the $ is extremely high. Not sure what else even comes close. Hell of a daily.
Sponsored