decodeddiesel's 2020 A90 DD to weekend fun car journey

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
In September of 2019 I went to my local Toyota dealership to look at the new Supra. At the time I was daily driving a Volvo V60 Polestar and had a 987.1 Cayman as my weekend/fun car. I am a mechanical engineer, and I admit, I have some pretty severe OCD about some things. When I read that the performance benchmark of the new Supra was the Cayman platform I went from being curious about the new Supra to downright interested and the OCD kicked in.

The local dealer had a red LE on the showroom floor. I was impressed, although skeptical about the transmission. I asked about a test drive and although I showed up in a car that was close in value to the Supra (my Polestar) the pinky-ring-wearing salesman guy with too much hair product laughed at me. We spoke a little and I ended up putting down a deposit on a Turbulence Grey 3.0 Premium, fully optioned, with CF mirror caps (not a fan, but whatever) that was inbound to the dealer. Three weeks later they get the car, and when I come in to test drive and purchase it they try to convince me that I was in a bidding war with another customer. I told them he could have it and walked. Turns out they lied.

555 days later the car had sat on the dealership showroom and had about 300 "demo" miles on it. I went back in looking for a deal. This was in March 2021 and now they needed to get it off of the lot. After some wheeling and dealing and me walking away initially, they agreed to a purchase price of $48k.

Obligatory crappy cell phone shot the day I brought her home:

1677702953971.jpeg

I had planned on using the free NASA track day in 2021, and I was very excited about it when I brought the car home. Unfortunately I had a health scare and had major surgery in early June that put me on my ass for the entire Summer and Fall. Once I recovered I vowed that I was going to track my new Supra and do more to enjoy my life.

I've been daily driving the car for almost exactly 2 years at this point, keeping it mostly stock...mostly. Soon after I purchased the car in 2021 I bought a set of Conti DWS-06+ tires and had them mounted on the stock wheels. In March of 2022 I got an EcuTek tune from Mike Botti on the dyno at The Shop in CT. Mostly so I could turn off the burbles. As it turns out they are really annoying at 5am when you're driving through the woods past people's houses on your way to work.

Results from Mike Botti's custom dyno tune on 93 with no other mods:

1678125006118.jpeg

Last summer I threw the stock PSS tires back on and participated in a few novice level HPDEs with an instructor at Thompson and Palmer with the car in more or less stock form on stock tires.

1677700023590.jpeg

I ended up cooking the tires, pads, and fluid pretty good and found the limit of the stock configuration. I wanted to do more track days in 2022 but I purchased a home and got married so it just wasn't in the cards.

For 2023 I plan on participating in at least 6 HPDEs, including 3x days at Lime Rock Park's "Car Control Clinic" and 3 days of in-car coaching. I will likely do more as budget and time allows, but I am purchasing this track time upfront. I am interested in lightly modifying the car to make it more capable on track while still being an enjoyable car on the street. I started a thread in the Tracking, Autocross, HPDE, Drifting section and I have gotten some absolutely outstanding recommendations.

Mods so far:
  • Bimmercoded out annoying a$$ fake engine noise and a couple settings.
  • OEM brake fluid swapped for for RBF600 (I'll probably switch to Castrol on my next flush)
  • Changed to LiquidMoly Special Tec for BMWs engine oil (5W-30)
  • ECU unlocked and Stage 1 ECUTEK tune from Mike Botti (mainly done to eliminate the burbles), now making right around 400 at the wheels on 93 at near sea level.
  • Currently I have Continental DWS-06+ tires on my stock wheels and plan to keep it this way for road driving. I will need to purchase new tires and wheels.
  • Helmet, gloves, shoes, fireproof socks, underwear, and shirts.
Purchased:
  • Project-µ brake pads
  • Goodrich stainless brake lines
  • Verus master cylinder brace
Modifications planned for this year:
  • After reviewing Apex's Tire and Wheel Guide and based on my experience, I would like to go to a square 18x10" setup running 275-35R18 tires. I'll probably get the SM-10s in 18x10 ET30. The ability to rotate tires being the main reason, the handling benefits and reduction in understeer are also enticing. I'm not sure what I'll need for spacers to use 10" wheels on the stock struts.
  • For tires I'm looking into some decent 200tw tires that won't overheat during a 30+ minute lapping session. Suggestions include Nankang CR-S, Continental ECF, and Kumho V730s.
  • Jackie Ding's PhD Racing Level 2 handling package is very interesting. Not being able to adjust camber out of the box is a real PITA, and I realize that most of the tires I am interested in will benefit from a -2° to -3° of camber. The Level 2 package will fix that.
  • Strongly debating adding anit-roll bars because I intend to go to MCS coilovers soon and I'm not sure if they'll be needed with the upgraded dampers & spring rates. I've been burned in the past on this and ended up scrambling to find stock sway bars after a KW Clubsport install on my old STi.
Near future plans (later this year):
  • MCS coilovers. They just have a lot going for them and the automotive engineer in me geeks out on them pretty bad.
  • Upgraded seats and the ability to use at least a 4-point with ASM and a HANS device for my helmet. I would like to be able to keep the seat heating functionality if possible. I'm about 6'2" tall and have a 38" waist. I have a bad back from my time in the service, and fixed back seats are not fun for longer drives but I may be willing to live with them if I fit well. I'm not sure what I'll need for bases and sliders, but something that would let me sit a little lower and gain more clearance for my helmet would be awesome.
  • Given that I would like to use a harness, I am looking at the Cusco harness bar although it has some mixed reviews from what I've read. I may be interested in a roll bar but at that point it's no longer "lightly modified".
Long term plans (2024 and beyond):
  • Learn a few more tracks from the area, focus on solo driving with the occasional coaching session.
  • Verus Engineering full aero
  • Pure 800 with supporting mods (including intake manifold) and tune for race gas and 93+methanol for street use. I don't want to kill my transmission or driveshafts so 600 hp is plenty.
I'm been lurking for a long time and I've been reading and searching as much as I can. I am very interested in feedback and interaction with the community here.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Thats a good price you paid in '21. In April of '21 for the same car I paid sticker minus the 1500 rebate.

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I posted this over on the thread I started on the Tracking, Autocross, HPDE, Drifting sub, but I wanted to post it here as well. Mainly for me to keep track of what I've done to the car!

So here's a rundown of what I've decided to go with to run 200tw tires.

Driver Upgrades (Purchased):
  • 3-pack of SCDA Car Control Clinic at Lime Rock park. This includes a wet skidpad and a ~1 mile permanent AutoX course. First day scheduled for March 25th.
  • 3-pack of SCDA track days with in-car instruction. Planning on doing 1 at Palmer, Lime Rock (full course), and Thompson.
  • Still need to buy track insurance, but my CC needs a little break!
Brake Upgrades (Ordered):
  • Project-µ F+R Pads
  • Castrol SRF
  • Goodrich SS lines
  • Verus MC Brace
200 tw tires and supporting mods (Ordered)
  • Kumho Ecsta V730 275/35R18 (square)
  • Titan 7 T-R10 18"x10.7"
  • 15mm spacers front and rear (temporary until I upgrade to MCS 2-ways)
  • Cusco Sway Bars
  • Jackie Ding's Level 2 Handling Kit
    • SPL Front Lower Control Arms
    • SPL Adjustable Front Caster Rod Monoball Bushings
    • SPL Rear Toe Links + Eccentric Lockouts
    • SPL F&R Adjustable Swaybar links
    • PhD Racing Lab Setup Guide and Support
  • Wheel Stud Conversion with 90mm studs
  • TPMS for all 4 wheels
That's probably going to be it until I burn through the tires and track days. Next year I'll buy the coilovers and likely change tires to the Nankang CR-S in 275/40R18.

The only DIY install that doesn't look doable is the rear swaybar install. I don't have access to a lift and dropping the subframe without one seems like a royal PITA. I've done crazier stuff when I was younger and had able bodied friends willing to help, but being in my mid-40s with some health issues and doing this by myself it's a bit much.

After calling several shops in my area about the RSB install (and being outright rejected, even indy BMW shops) I found a "motorsports" shop near my work that can handle the install, alignment, and corner balancing when I upgrade to coilovers.

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I wanted to post a quick update to keep this thread alive. Let's start with some pics!

1681990385299.jpeg

1681990404433.jpeg

1681990417428.jpeg

On March 25th I did my first Car Control Clinic with the SCDA. The day was cold with light snow that turned into freezing rain and sleet. I went on the stock wheels with 255f and 275r Conti DWS-06+ tires (highly recommended for sports cars that actually see 4 seasons).

The "auto-X" track is about 1/2 a mile, reconfigurable, and an absolute BLAST to drive. Although we were untimed, I was one of the fastest drivers. The highlight of my day was giving a fully track prepped Skip Barber Mustang (with aero) a hard time on the Auto-X track lol. I kept having to slow down/stop to let him build up his gap again lol.

The skippad was a real handful in the car, and I was not able to drift a complete lap. (Driver excuses to follow) but you know, it was 35 degrees out and snowing, the skidpad was icey, both of the instructors who drove it (one was a retired Euro Touring Car Driver, the other a current IMSA driver) spun it, blah, blah, blah ;)

All in all a great day of high performance driving and fun with SCDA at Lime Rock Park. I'm beginning to learn that my favorite mod by far is tightening the nut behind the wheel.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
How did I miss your post until now?!? Great job 👏🏼 Wes 😍. You are so spot on to really enjoying this car and doing it right!!!!

OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Time for an update.

Back in March I signed up for an HPDE at Lime Rock Park on May 12th.

I found time to install a few parts, but took some time off from work and dug into the car. I really wanted to get the parts I purchased on the car before the season began.

PXL_20230312_131514573.jpg

ETA Side note: the Titan-7 wheels I ordered took longer than expected to show up, so unfortunately I ended up driving the 12th on stock wheels with stock PSS. Good news is I have a set of 4X 275-35R18 Kumho Ecsta V730 tires waiting to go on the car and the wheels are supposed to arrive on the 17th! 😁

PXL_20230330_203737873.jpg

Here's a list of the parts I have installed:

Suspension:
  • SPL front LCAs
  • SPL front end links
  • SPL rear toe links
  • SPL rear toe lockout
  • SPL rear end links
  • Cusco 28mm front sway bar
  • Cusco 22mm rear sway bar
PXL_20230505_155524925.jpg

PXL_20230506_150910591.jpg

PXL_20230505_155541918.jpg

Brakes:
  • Zimmerman rotors
  • Project Mu Club Racer pads
  • Goodridge stainless lines
  • Castrol SRF brake fluid
  • Verus Engineering MC brace
PXL_20230429_194517905.jpg

PXL_20230505_155557464.jpg

Maintenance:
  • Engine oil change with Liquid Moly 5W-30 special tech
  • Rear differential fluid change with Liquid Moly 75W-90 Hypoid GL4/5
PXL_20230505_155749196.jpg

PXL_20230507_194545193.jpg

Last but not least, I did an alignment with my Paco Motorsports Hubstands, and let me tell you, it came out perfect and I can't recommend this product enough.

Final alignment specs:

Front: zero toe, -2.8 degrees of negative camber (caster not adjustable so it wasn't checked)

Rear: 1/32" toe in on either side, 1/16" total toe (camber not adjustable so it wasn't checked)

PXL_20230513_134905876.jpg

PXL_20230513_134914459.jpg

Box o' stock (with bonus peak of my new Adidas Gazelle kicks) 😄

PXL_20230513_134920306.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'll add a better write up and pics of the track day on the 12th at Lime Rock Park, but suffice to say it was incredible! Met up with some great people from the forum and had a great time. The parts and work on the car really came together!

Here's a couple shots I took on my phone:
PXL_20230512_145515813.jpg

PXL_20230512_121352199.jpg

PXL_20230512_121336289.jpg