Did the Sport Z just kill off the Supra 2.0?

SupraMKV2.0

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
2023 M550i, 2023 M340i, 2021 Supra
Probably, But the new Z will be marked up well beyond the MSRP when it hits dealers. It’s just a horrible time to buy any car new or used.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Like I said in another thread, depends on what you want.

If you want the maximum amount of horsepower per dollar, base Z.
BUT, you get nothing besides that. If you want some luxury and comforts, and sporty equipment, the 2.0 Supra gets an LSD, better interior, etc.

I'd go 2.0 without a doubt.

Bassoonytoon

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nitro Yellow / 2017 86 Special Editio
Well, the Mach-E didn’t kill the Model Y. The C8 didn’t kill all mid-engine Ferraris. The Bronco didn’t put Jeep out of business.

Different cars can exist, thrive, die for many reasons. I don’t see these two cars as direct competitors.

2.0 Supra vs Z:
<3200 pounds vs ~3600 pounds
turbo 4 vs twin turbo V6
3 year old chassis vs Paleolithic chassis
BMW level interior vs Nissan Versa level interior

I think both cars can exist - although in Canada the 2.0 is already no longer listed on Toyota’s website.

I think the thing that killed the 2.0 (if it does go away in other markets) is the fact that the 3.0 is sold in the same dealerships. If I’m selling Supras, which ones would I want to sell?

Elektro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
17 i3 94ah, 22 Supra 2.0
2.0 supra is an odd duck and I don't think anybody would cross shop it with the new Z.

You need to want the low power (but not that low?) light weight (but not that light?) nicer interior and features (but not really that nice, no back seat even)

Basically if you want a grown up 86 that already has the turbo kit installed the 2.0 is for you.

Now I do think Z car will sell a lot better than both supras in this country because it is what americans really want. Good looking horsepower and low monthly payments. If the 2.0 supra is discontinued it has nothing to do with the Z.

Toyota treats the supra like a red headed step child. Nissan has already wined and dined the auto rag writers something fierce, I think this was toyota's main failure with the supra. OTOH they are the biggest maker in the world so I guess they don't have to.

Chgu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2013 FR-S
Y’all really get obsessed with power numbers. Some people wanted a well balanced, beautiful (effectively) luxury sports car that got decent gas mileage with modern safety features. It’s still cheaper than the equivalent BMW, and turns heads. Of course, I’m just speaking for my girlfriend. I got the 3.0 Premium lol

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Now I do think Z car will sell a lot better than both supras in this country because it is what americans really want. Good looking horsepower and low monthly payments.
Good looking - highly questionable, I think it looks like garbage from the front personally, the back does look nice though

Low monthly payments - 400 hp without a limited slip is fucking stupid, and if you want a limited slip you're paying more or less the same price as a 3.0 Supra for a slower, heavier car with a terrible interior. I honestly don't see what the point of the Z is.
Sponsored