DME/OBDII

Skeeter

First Name
Cecil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra #935/1500 ,2019 Toyota Highlander, 2002 VW Turbo Beetle, 1997Mazda Miata, 1986 Mustang SVO
Ok MKV fans, I am about to show my ignorance, but that doesn't bother me anymore, I've done that too many times in the past. I am very ignorant about DME. What is DME compared to OBDII, I have an ODB1 scanner for my 86 Mustand SVO. an OBDII scanner for my 97 Miata and Tundra. But I assume that the OBDII/CAN scanners are not going to be adequate for the MKV. Enter DME. I know what it stands for but that's about it. Is there a DME scanner? If so does it replace OBDII? Is it something you can buy or need for a stock engine? There are lots of questions I could ask, but I don't know where to start, and really don't know what I don't know, about all this. Thanks for any help!!
Sponsored

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
First, DME is indirectly related to OBD2. DME is BMW terminology for ECU.

DME - Digital Motor Electronics/ECU - Engine Control Unit

OBD2 protocol is based on 1996 and newer vehicles. Which includes the MKV. So any OBD2 code reader will be able to pull the generic codes from the DME. However, for BMW specific codes and even more specific BMW Hex code (versions of basic OBD2 codes that drill down deeper into the actual systems or issues) generic OBD2 scanners will not be able to read those. SO for higher end diagnostics, you would need BMW specific tools which can read the HEX codes. IE- MHD, Ecutek, Bootmod. Or one of the super expensive diagnostic units that some Auto shops have or the actual BMW tools pack.

OP
OP

Skeeter

First Name
Cecil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra #935/1500 ,2019 Toyota Highlander, 2002 VW Turbo Beetle, 1997Mazda Miata, 1986 Mustang SVO
Thanks for the info...I do appreciate it. I'm not familiar with BMW systems. The last BMW I owned was back in 1973...a 2002 titi, when I was in the Navy, stationed in Naples Italy.

Kaizen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Can the boost be turned up on these cars? I've seen downpipe galores and tuning, but can we just raise the boost alone? Would that allow the ECU to compensate by itself for the other parameters?

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Can the boost be turned up on these cars? I've seen downpipe galore and tuning, but can we just raise the boost alone? Would that allow the ECU to compensate by itself for the other parameters?
boost is a result of many calculation done in the ECU. Are you asking if you can just throw a manual or EBC on the car and turn up the boost and the car be fine?

Not, not using the stock wastegate as its electronic. And tied into the ECU for control. Its not like a Pneumatic wastegate where you can just plumb in a boost source block to raise boost. you would need to change the wastegate actuator and etc. And even if you did do that. the car would close the throttle as soon as you increase the load over whats actually requested. And if its too much overload and too long, the car will enter safe mode and lock you out of throttle control entirely.

So in short, flash tune is the proper way, or send false boost reading to the ECU that's lower than requested so it raises boost after the fact. Which is pretty much what all the piggybacks do.

Kaizen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
boost is a result of many calculation done in the ECU. Are you asking if you can just throw a manual or EBC on the car and turn up the boost and the car be fine?

Not, not using the stock wastegate as its electronic. And tied into the ECU for control. Its not like a Pneumatic wastegate where you can just plumb in a boost source block to raise boost. you would need to change the wastegate actuator and etc. And even if you did do that. the car would close the throttle as soon as you increase the load over whats actually requested. And if its too much overload and too long, the car will enter safe mode and lock you out of throttle control entirely.

So in short, flash tune is the proper way, or send false boost reading to the ECU that's lower than requested so it raises boost after the fact. Which is pretty much what all the piggybacks do.
No, no EBC but adjust the boost parameter on the ECU alone.. but that would basically be tuning if all other parameters have to be adjusted too.
Sponsored