Do you consider the Supra a "young persons" car?

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra
I know it's not a cheap car given its price tag and whatnot. But what are your thoughts?

Reason for this thread was just out of curiosity after a convo I had today. I was walking back to my white GR Supra and saw 2 kids (maybe 16-20 years old) taking a picture of it. I walked to the car and just gave a quick hi and let them take pictures. They then asked if it was my car (I was already opening the door at this point), and commented that I'm too old to be in a Supra? Lmao.

I'm 34 years old. So I personally don't consider myself old yet. I figure a car like an FRS or 350z or WRX might be considered a 'young persons car' but was surprised when I heard that about the Supra.

Long story short, what do you guys think? Anyone ever have a similar experience? Is it because of the tiktok "is that a Supra' trend? Who knows
Sponsored

Calaman1504

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 premium phantom gray
When I bought mine my wife said the same thing. Iā€™m 42, it didnā€™t help when 3 20 somethingā€™s at work bought one as well. However I really donā€™t care as I love driving this thing!

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
In terms of affordability, it's definitely not the average young person's car. I think the kids see it as a tuner car which has always been depicted as a young person thing in mainstream media. They probably think "Toyota badge -- must be cheap" and not realize these cars are somewhat pricey.

I can however understand an argument for sports cars not being as comfortable for older people; take that how you may.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

saik

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium Tungsten
Definitely not, I consider a "young" person's car something in the $25-30K range, if even that. Don't know too many 16-20 year olds buying $50-$60K cars.

OP
OP
Octane

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra
A lot of sports cars are ā€œyoung persons car.ā€ I could never have afforded it at 18, though.

I am about to be 34 also, have 2 kids. It is not a family car but a great third car for me. I figure a sports car will keep me young.
Basically how it is for me. 1 kid, 1 on the way. I use the Supra as a fun third car. Have 2 SUV's between my wife and I.

My wife doesn't care much about cars, so the 3rd car will always be a fun car that I get to enjoy. Went from an F82 M4 to the Supra. I've enjoyed it, besides missing the 6mt.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I'm honestly not sure anymore. I figured at $55k most younger folks wouldn't be able to afford one, though as we discovered in a slew of other threads quite folks have payments on these with relatively high interest rates.

But then at the get togethers, meets, track, etc. I see way more "kids" (<30) owning them. Good on them for making so much money at a young age (@Mason I'm looking at you).

Took me to my mid 30's to be able to justify buying sports cars and stuff. Wanted to make sure my retirement, etc. was in order first, though.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Iā€™m 20. This is definitely a young persons car. Not like 9 year old young because they are all obsessed with the mkiv thinking it came stock with 1,000 hp ?

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Iā€™m 20. This is definitely a young persons car. Not like 9 year old young because they are all obsessed with the mkiv thinking it came stock with 1,000 hp ?

edit: young people Ā« like Ā» the car. Doesnā€™t mean they can afford it 99% of the time. Not the same thing
Sponsored