Do you guys ever get tired of others bashing your A90 Supra? / Tired of the BMW comments?

How much negative comments do you get a day on your A90?

• Total voters

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I just think it's hilarious how the majority of the haters center the criticism around the lack of a 2JZ or "true toyota-ness" of it. It's not worth reminding them, but I often think about the comparison and how (to me at least) it actually holds up very well in that light:
1) Great handling, comfort, and performance... while being so conservatively tuned that economy and reliability are optimal.
2) Designed so that those who wish to, can lose much of the economy and reliability - and build a monster of their own specification.
3) A distinctive appearance which is mild enough to remain reasonable, yet unique enough to never blend in too much.

Almost none of the haters are thinking of a bone-stock MKIV... which was nothing of the "monster" the built & tuned versions became. Now, as far as the criticism regarding it not being available in a manual... I've got nothing to say there. I wish it had been an option as well - but then again, times change. The "it should have been a DCT" people, I just ignore... that's only a benefit on paper and for truly over-built track versions... this transmission is more than adequate for anything that can be considered "mild tuning" (i.e. less than 75% more power than stock). It seems like many of the "it's gonna blow up like all BMW's" people are cherry picking... I personally don't know of any 1000+HP monster MKIV's that have been driven 100K+ trouble-free miles after being built. Note that's not a criticism... it's expected - you don't expect the same reliability from a drag/dyno champion. At the same time, as an auto manufacturer... you also don't warranty that!

As far as tuning-capable platforms... name the recent model that runs a full Toyota drivetrain... oops. I know I didn't find many options for my RC-F when I had it. Really about all that even comes close are their trucks, at least until you are back in the 90's, talking about the MKIV again. :p
Sponsored

RichSC

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra #86, 2018 Raptor
For the most part, interactions out in public with people are generally positive. Tons of questions, asking how I like the car, asking if they can take photos of it, people on the roads with their phones out taking photos and giving me a thumbs up. A lot of the other enthusiasts I get compliments from are usually those in higher end drivers cars, Porsches, Lotus, etc.

The few times Iā€™ve received smart ass comments about it (aside from all of the keyboard warriors), itā€™s usually kids walking around at car meets or shopping centers, and they usually end up climbing into some beat up shit box. The negative stuff I just shrug off and laugh about it. I love the car and enjoy it, all that matters to me.

fiscally_stupid

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TG Supra
For the most part, interactions out in public with people are generally positive. Tons of questions, asking how I like the car, asking if they can take photos of it, people on the roads with their phones out taking photos and giving me a thumbs up. A lot of the other enthusiasts I get compliments from are usually those in higher end drivers cars, Porsches, Lotus, etc.

The few times Iā€™ve received smart ass comments about it (aside from all of the keyboard warriors), itā€™s usually kids walking around at car meets or shopping centers, and they usually end up climbing into some beat up shit box. The negative stuff I just shrug off and laugh about it. I love the car and enjoy it, all that matters to me.
This is so true. Working in Redmond, WA we have lots of exotics and just very expensive vehicles in general everywhere. All of the nice comments come from people who own those cars. The only negative comments I get are from friends messing with me or people in legit shit boxes.

OP
OP
Axix23

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Its funny y'all said this, b/c its mostly people in shit boxes talking shit.... Not sure why they are talking... I saw a guy online talking shit and he drives a Kia.. I mean come on... lol

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
The GR Supra is still high on my list of potential next vehicles. Yet without even owning one I already have coworkers criticizing it whenever I bring it up. These same people also like to point out that they spend their free time and money on "more important things" (they have children and also often giant mortgages). So it seems obvious that at least in this case there's some jealousy at play. Regardless I find the open criticism and insinuations that somehow my life choices and preferences are inferior to theirs to be a bit of an asshole move.

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3.0 MT
So it seems obvious that at least in this case there's some jealousy at play. Regardless I find the open criticism and insinuations that somehow my life choices and preferences are inferior to theirs to be a bit of an asshole move.
But how else are they going to feel good about themselves for about 30 seconds? :)

Supra CRNA

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR, 2006 Mitsu Lancer Evo 9 RS
In person interactions are usually positives, I frequently get a thumbs up or ā€œlove you carā€. But the uneducated internet trolls are annoying as hell! Like every supra post on a blog, IG or youtube has the ā€œits a bmwā€ or ā€œjust a Z4ā€ blah blah blah! If these guys actually owned one they would understand what a great car it is, Most of these keyboard warriors just a bunch of haters who cant afford a Supra!

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I havenā€™t heard this criticism of the Supra yet. But it was said of the M2C.:rofl:

F91643B7-8749-4A69-94F6-3DDC17657C20.jpeg

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
It's a beautiful looking modern sportscar that drives and performs under tuning very well. I've got my gripes about a couple of added specs that I personally want but if I were to add one to my garage.... why would I care one iota what someone else thinks about it? I'd have bought it for me to enjoy after all.

I'm driving a modified not-quite-an-MKIV now that's set up to the specs I wanted and I could care less if someone likes it or not or thinks it's not "legitimate" enough be a respectable car because of what it is compared to an A80/MKIV TT.

The same would apply to an MKV for me. It's a great car, looks REALLY good and it's fast. If you bought any car you really like, only your opinion of it matters. Otherwise you wouldn't have bought it in the first place, right?

As to the longevity of 1,000whp+ MKIV's or other JZ powered vehicles, digicidal has a point. 2JZ-GTE's are pretty reliable within stock longevity expectations up to about 400-450whp. That would be at LEAST 250k between rebuilds if maintained well and not utterly abused and trashed. If generally treated nicely it's probably more like a 300k-350k+ engine between rebuilds with the stresses of boost on the OEM hypereutectic semi-forged pistons with stock rings. Or maybe more? Totally depends on how it's treated and maintained over time.

With a really built engine pushing 700whp+ up through 1,000whp+, depending on how its driven and given that by that point you're using forged connecting rods, aftermarket forged pistons and aftermarket rings and bearings... with an assumed *perfect* engine tune longevity *really* depends on how the car is driven and maintained over that length of mileage and operation time. The engine system is definitely very overbuilt to handle mega power pretty reliably but it's a fact that the longest lasting 1JZ's and 2JZ's (between rebuilds) are the non-turbo GE and GE VVT-i versions.

The highest mileage 2JZ I've heard of to date was an MKIV Non-Turbo that reached 520k miles on the original factory engine build and factory head gasket. Truly a bulletproof (if now archaic for modern production) engine design but they tend to be driven spiritedly to hard by most as they should be... and once boost is factored in, as strong as they are for many great feats, ultimate lifespan is definitely reduced.

But not many 1,000whp+ 2JZ MKIV's get driven hundreds of thousands of miles anyway. Especially not without a couple or a few turbo, fuel system and custom ECU tune setup changes along the way. And then there's the high cost for exotic race grade fuels unless E85 is easy to get in one's location.

It's just still a lot of lifespan even for a 1JZ-GTE or 2JZ-GTE when kept in stock tune or not far off from BPU.

I'd expect the same basic lifespan within a certain tuning range from stock with the MKV's B58C.

Last edited:

Bruins71

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, Highlander,Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Have had about half a dozen people say "You having a midlife crisis or something?" in a critical tone (I'm nearly 50 and have always drive pretty utilitarian vehicles). So I just say "Hell yeah". Worked my ass off for years and going to enjoy every minute.

I'm too old to really give a sh*t anymore. BMW makes great cars. This is a collaboration and likely wouldn't have been produced if that weren't the case...or would be too expensive otherwise. The car looks great and is a blast to drive. It has tons of potential for upgrades which makes it have a big "life after purchase" value for me.
Absolutely right!!!

Camus

First Name
Daniel.
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra , 2021 M4 Base.
Quite the opposite, people stop to say hello and compliment, maybe because of the color, or maybe is the first Supra they see on the wild, or both, but never a negative comment. However on internet everyone is very edgy about it, they all complain is a reĀ·badged BMW, that the B58 is weak and horrible compared to the 2JZ, that is not a real sports car because is automatic, etc etc etc.

I'd say most people hating the car online are just internet bench racers toddlers.

Supra Turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supras
I personally don't know of any 1000+HP monster MKIV's that have been driven 100K+ trouble-free miles after being built.
Many do not build their MKIV's with the initial intentions of putting 100K miles on them, however this has been done. It all depends on how the vehicle is cared for and driven.

Generally speaking though, it's not exactly the most practical to drive a 1000+HP TT6 Supra for 100K miles and as such, there are few and far in between. Coupled with ever increasing values on the TT6 A80s, most get driven less and less.

F30ZHP

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 BMW 340i ZHP
Not that I own a Supra, but I could really care less what other people think about my car. I love my 340i!!!
Sponsored