Dodge Charger Daytona SRT Concept (EV)

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Well, here's one more answer. The "unlock" programming that you'll pay for will be tied to each Daytona's VIN and will therefore be transferrable with each car they are added to, confirms Dodge CEO. So there is that.

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/11/d...-out-of-ev-modding-market/#Echobox=1667275956
Good to hear about VIN.
Hmm would that already open the doors for dealer mark-ups for tunes.. i kinda don't get that motivation. Now, with little amount of EVs on road, maybe ok, it could offset, given tune technically costs $0 to dealer. I'm sure dealers will be asked to pay to be authorized seller. Yet, how many will own Dodge and adopt tunes.. Later, it won't hold as all will be EV, no servicing needs, tune would have to cost and arm n leg..
Says tuning parts though. Is that a hint? What's that about. With power upgrade, will it require parts as well? Higher kWh battery? Upgraded inverter or something.
Ah whatever, I'll wait and see lol.
Sponsored

OP
OP
KahnBB6

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Good to hear about VIN.
Hmm would that already open the doors for dealer mark-ups for tunes.. i kinda don't get that motivation. Now, with little amount of EVs on road, maybe ok, it could offset, given tune technically costs $0 to dealer. I'm sure dealers will be asked to pay to be authorized seller. Yet, how many will own Dodge and adopt tunes.. Later, it won't hold as all will be EV, no servicing needs, tune would have to cost and arm n leg..
Says tuning parts though. Is that a hint? What's that about. With power upgrade, will it require parts as well? Higher kWh battery? Upgraded inverter or something.
Ah whatever, I'll wait and see lol.
Oh you bet it will involve dealer markups for the staged power upgrade options through Dodge dealers. Not to mention some dealers will keep few of these on the lot in 100% base tune at the regular MSRP *before* applying the inevitable vehicle sales markups. That's another annoying part of all this, as if we weren't already completely fed up with markups and dealers shenanigans of that nature at this point anyway.

But yes, at least these options will be tied to the vehicle VINs so that money spent on their walled garden "upgrades" (really just built in features being unlocked) will stay with each car so applied.

I think mostly the tuning "parts" that they are talking about are related to physical suspension, braking and other chassis modifications that they'll want to accompany the higher power level horsepower unlocking software.

The way these Daytonas are being designed, they really only have two major drivetrain variants: one 400V system and one 800V system. Then on top of that they have RWD-only versions AWD versions.

They're over-designing each drivetrain variant to offer very de-tuned base versions of each.

Daytona 400V RWD (rear motor only)
Daytona 400V AWD (front and rear motors)

Daytona 800V RWD (rear motor only)
Daytona 800V AWD (front and rear motors)

So in some cases you can buy the physical drivelines this way off the showroom floor (from what they say) or Direct Connection will sell you the staged horsepower upgrade of your choice up to the max of what your Daytona 400V or Daytona 800V model tops out at.

They're probably designing the car in such a way as to be able to buy one of the front motor sets from their Direct Connection parts catalog and install it into a Daytona that came from the factory with only a rear motor.

Any manufacturer's EV with an 800V system will be able to hit higher power levels.

It is probably the case that you'd need to stick with the motors rated for 400V in a 400V Datyona and only motors rated for 800V in an 800V Daytona.

On the 3rd party end undoubtedly there will be people who will swap the full bore 800V RWD or AWD motors and electronics into a cheaper Daytona 400V model (this has been done with Tesla Model S base cars being swapped with Plaid powertrains)... but it's a lot of involved work and that will, like Tesla, probably run into some issues with Dodge's OTA updates as they try to keep people from doing it.

People will get around it but probably only by cutting off all connection to Dodge's servers entirely. Hopefully that won't be a troublesome thing in the long term since... parts are parts. As long as you own the car fair and square and install everything correctly why should the rare such hobbyist customer be penalized by the mother company for having done so? That's not about safety but about control over what people can and cannot do with the cars that they own.

...All things which I sincerely hope that Right To Repair legislation eventually levels out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KahnBB6

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota announced this week it would no longer be making electronic keys due to chip shortages. Other car makers are waiting on the midterm elections before becoming fully committed to further dependence on other countries for battery mining and electronics. Please go out and vote if you live in the States! It’s more important now to keep the USA market driven. We’ve always been good at adapting. Europe and others are looking at worse shortage because of a “forced” hand.

I’m for all new technologies - as long as they are consumer driven. Led by peeps like you and not those elected who haven’t driven a car nor need one, not in the market or industry, and don’t have a clue about automobile end users, only lobbyist and earmark agendas. Can you tell I voted early?✌ 😂
More USA-based manufacturing and supply chain emphasis is sorely needed as we have found out. For some things we buy it'll never be a 100% thing but microchips and other similar goods it's definitely a big problem that we need to get a handle on. We're just beginning to steer in the right direction on all of that but it will take many years to fully matriculate.

With batteries however the true breakthrough will be solid state cell designs and whatever succeeds those. Lithium and cobalt mining for conventional lithium batteries can work for now with these showcase first generation EVs but it will not be sustainable for the massive market penetration envisioned some 15 years from now.

But a lot can happen in that time and thankfully better R&D is in the works. And currently with more investment in U.S. based lithium battery cell/pack facilities happening it'll begin to be offset a bit.

No way can the supply chains for any modern electronics continue as-is.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
It looks a lot like the old Charger. Hopefully that’s just intentional and not more lipstick 💄 on a pig đŸ· (similar to the Nissan Z)

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Interesting that they’re going back to a coupe. It doesn’t look bad but I def want to see more of this lift back aspect to see how it all comes together.
I can’t wait to see dodge dealers mark these fuckers up to the moon also lol

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Interesting that they’re going back to a coupe. It doesn’t look bad but I def want to see more of this lift back aspect to see how it all comes together.
I can’t wait to see dodge dealers mark these fuckers up to the moon also lol
I think those dealers are the worst. From what I’ve heard from hellcat owners

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Boy the BUTCHERED the back end
IMG_0365.jpeg

OP
OP
KahnBB6

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^^ The back end does not live up to the concept car's back end. It's.... begrudgingly acceptable... if only because of the rest of the package. But it already looks like cheap rental car spec.

It's a shame the translation from concept to production didn't get that right. The front end isn't as dramatic as the concept's front end but it does a good version of it and even makes the car look *slightly* more compact than the outgoing Challenger.

From the front view it looks good. Not breathtakingly beautiful... but perfectly good for the type of vehicle that it is.

None of this translation beats the concept Charger Daytona though.
Sponsored